don't click here

Rare Sonic Art (And restoring it)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JackSkellinghog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Page 17 here in the US manual talks about Robotnik's "Death Egg Ship" in Sonic 3.

http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:Sonic3_MD_US_SonicJam_manual.pdf&page=10

2. Pengi

Pengi

Does anyone have this Sonic & Tails (Sonic Chaos) poster? I think someone posted a photo of it before?

[​IMG]

The upper right has a piece of art work that isn't in the manual - the second form of the final boss.

It also has the full version of Dangerous Ball Tower (the giant blue Caterkiller) - the very bottom of the art is cut off in the manual.

It would be brilliant to have scans of this art, but even just a close up photo would be pretty good.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

"Wo ist mein Sega" was an advertising campaign in Germany, and came equipped with a load of off-model Sonic artwork. It's really easy to find these stickers online, but this is the first scan I've seen, making it slightly more "useful" than the others I've seen thus far.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    A placeholder cover for Sonic CD. That Sonic was originally drawn for Sonic 2 so it's not entirely new art, but... well.

From two of these Electronics Boutique catalogues that I'm in the process of uploading because somebody has to I guess.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

Some Sonic Adventure artwork from a shirt:

[​IMG]

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yuji Uekawa's artstyle gives me life. I wish they were still using it for the cover art of modern day Sonic games.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

And here's some Classic Sonic

[​IMG]

The original scan is here btw if anyone wants to try to restore it since I didn't really do a good job, especially with Sonic.

8. Powpuck

Powpuck

Damn, Pecky is a stone cold killer.

9. Pengi

Pengi

It's so nice to see a full scan of that calendar, great job Casshern!

Related to this image, there's a blink and you'll miss it early draft that can be seen in the Sonic 3 promo VHS. In the draft Tails is off to the left hand side and Sonic's pose is a lot weaker, but the general idea and layout was retained (including Pecky cutting the rope bridge).

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

Nice catch! Man, I really wish we could get our hands on those sketches.

11. Pengi

Pengi

There are a bunch of details in that picture that I've only just noticed - the smoking object in the background is a wrecked Egg Mobile, Picky has mistaken the snake for rope, a coconut has fallen on a crocodile's head and the crocodile in the lower left is up to something with the loose rope.

The googly eyed bird losing its featheres is quite similar to these two images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Linkabel

Linkabel

13. Truner

Truner

Some time ago I sent some old Sonic stuff to a friend and while I forgot to scan the art on them, she sent me photos, so here they are. Two of the "Wo ist mein Sega" stickers and a badge that unfortunately didn't survive the test of time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Pengi

Pengi

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzU57pNnh3M/

^ I don't think I've seen these before. Anyone recognise them?

15. Pengi

Pengi

It turns out that Sega of Japan still have this art in their archives: https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/1155009957701595136

This is good to know! Hopefully they'll include it in a book or compilation at some point. Also in that link, new art of Sonic wearing Puma sneakers.

EDIT: This is a pin-up from Sonic the Comic #141:

[​IMG]

You can tell that it's official Sega art, because STC always credited its freelance artists and Knuckles' shoes are the correct colours (in STC, the green and yellow were swapped, based upon the EU Sonic 3 box/promo art). Has anyone seen this anywhere else? Would anyone who owns this issue be able to scan it?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. Xinus

Xinus

17. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yeah, I remember Fleetway really went to town on having as many official Sonic R renders as possible for pin-ups and front covers for a certain period. Guess it was easy access with both StC and Traveller's Tales being UK offices.

18. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    [​IMG]

Here's a unique piece of official art that came with a very rare Sonic model that you put together and paint yourself. I believe there was only 40 of them in existence. But this art seems to pre-date SA2's release going by the dating on it.

19. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    While that is a fancy drawing, I'm afraid it's actually fan art. The model that art was created for was also a fan item, sculpted by an artist who at the time called themselves "cool blue." It was for sale at the 2002 Tokyo Wonder Festival, which is all about selling amateur garage kits. The piece of art was commissioned for the packaging by a friend of the sculpter, so even though it's a neat Sonic Adventure 2 thing, it wasn't officially sanctioned by SEGA.

I think there was some confusion because one of the kits recently was up for sale, and the seller was under the impression it was something official. The copyright I believe is just a courtesy thing, to say "heck we don't own this but we'll still credit the actual creator of the thing we like."

20. Pengi

Pengi

Thanks for the info! I do seem to recall some of the other images appearing as pin-ups too. I think they were skipped in the old STC scans that exist online. A shame, because this is official Sega art that would be worth having hi-res scans of.