don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    I am trying to improve my artwork skills so tell me what do you think about this

I am aware of most art bugs but tell me your opinion, what should I improve etc.

2. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    I liked the ghz pattern, though, I feel it needs something. You know where the grass normally is, there needs to be somethng on top of that pattern, because looks like sonic shouldn't be standing on it, if you know what I mean. Also I think the best thing to do, is to take your time and finish the art, and keep improving, trial and error until its as best as it can be!. The poles look to bland and need some texture, even dithering might help. All I can say is to try and take what I said and see what you can come up with.

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Actually I was kinda aiming to something similiar to a ground with cracks on it, and with that came the log of trees. What do you think of the trees that I made? For now it looks a bit lame but I think I should add more leaves.

4. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I have noticed how that now even working on the ART slows me down to getting to the layout option. Like, by the time the art is made and I am in the middle of piecing everything together, I just...lose interest. Maybe something goes wrong or I am missing a piece and I am just to tired to continue. So now I have decided to at least TRY to give a layout to you guys. Scrap Brain, remove unneeded chunks and add custom ones, slightly edit blocks and tiles I.e. Minimal art change. Just get a layout DONE.

----

But now, a proposal. This thread gets linked to on the Hacks Wiki Page.

Why? Mainly because out of all hacks that get played, casual guests will go right to the list there. To them, those hacks are the only ones that exist. The smarter ones might take a quick look at the forums, but that's it. This thread is IMPORTANT and INSPIRATIONAL. So, what do you say Retro?

5. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Someone should make a sub category of random test hacks. I think its cool.

6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Well...my idea is simpler. I just want this thread linked on that page, you know?

---------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work in progress.

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    This is exactly what happens with me. I get the art arranged... but since I have absolutely no chunks to work with, I have to make them up as I go along. It's boring and it often keeps me away from level design.

8. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    The exact thing happens to me. I remember reading a good advice somewhere, that you should draw your whole level layout first, then make the art and arrange it.

Anyway, I made a level layout for green hill zone 1, I also added a few new things like level/act transitions (nothing fancy) and a green hill zone 3 boss edit, your gonna love it :P

Get it here also lol first time I ever add panel bonus points to the end of the level, I find them unecessary.

Edit: And if anyone is doing a "Do the best boss in 1 hour" competition thing, I will be happy to join :P

9. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    A KAIZO TRAP. YOU MADE A KAIZO TRAP. IN FREAKING SONIC. + - I thought that getting the big ring in act 2 and going to special stage might mess things up, as it sometimes does in hacks. Everything was fine and then PIT OF DOOM. I couldn't scramble 50 rings (almost did but got stuck in the s tube with 46 rings) and I lost all of my lives. This could be an honest oversight, but FFFF.  

Trying again to at least get to the boss.

Edit: Even the big ring doesn't work. D=
    Edit edit: Ok, at least level select works.

Edit edit edit: Got to and beat the boss. At first I was like "oh, another circle swinging boss" but then that SECOND PART. Took me many tries, but I finally beat it by + - leading the ball to the farthest off the screen and then running in the opposite direction.  

10. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Yea I pretty much forgot to mention only ghz1's layout is done along with a small level transition to link to ghz2. I was too lazy to make ghz2 just change to act 3 anyway. And I tried to make the ball explode after defeating the boss but it led to a glitch that makes the ball still damage you, and due to laziness I forgot to fix it.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK that boss was evil. =P I finally beat it and then you die at the end in the level cutscene! You sick twisted bastard XD

12. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    So, MarkeyJester and I were randomally chatting and it got to the point where I was bored and didn't have much to do. Markey brought up my old hacking contest entry, "The 30 Min Hack", and said I should make another.
    I was hesitant at first, but then agreed, so long as he made one as well. I'd be working with Sonic 2, Markey with Sonic 1. We agreed to extend the time limit to 60 minutes and set about making something in 1 hour.

Here's the results:
    D.A. Garden's hack (Mine) -
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/13/1957633/DA60Min.rar
    (You will need to go to Chemical Plant Zone 1 in the Sound Test. Level Select code is normal)

MarkeyJester's hack -
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/13/1957633/MA60Min.rar
    (Just play Green Hill Zone 1)

Comments are welcome (I would say criticism as well, but we were on a time limit) and I'd like to see what people think.

13. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Ah the CPZ girder, always in the way whenever you want to make something in the foreground in the background.

That being said, Markey blows yours out of the water. I loved the endless (and simple to make) ocean. The ASM was the real star of the show though.

14. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    not bad for 60 minutes!

like the CPZ artwork, like the GHZ button gimmick

15. VelocitOni

VelocitOni

Almost 10 years of trial membership Member
    I think the idea of a 30/60 minute hacking contest is quite interesting.

16. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    [​IMG]

I tried. :ohdear:

Edit:

[​IMG]

Better or worse?

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Much better than the other one, in my opinion. The bigger one looks a bit off, and the road looks too wide, where-as this one looks just right.

18. dsrb

dsrb

I think the far (top) kerb might be a little too wide; narrowing it might improve the perspective. What do you think? Edit: Anyway, is it set on top of a building/wall?

19. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    As of now there is nothing below, I just wanted to draw a road.

Edit:

[​IMG]

Narrowed.

And also a few building pictures:

[​IMG]

Some people like to throw parties, that is why there are lights in the windows.

However:

[​IMG]

Some + - nerds or people who's mom told them to sleep   people who got too drunk and want to fuck their girlfriends went to their houses and decided to keep the shutters down so sonic wont see them.

Edit: Grammar.

20. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Then again, this could work if he was lowered to the "right" side and have cars sprites passing in the other direction on the "left" side.

And furthermore what side you are on is based on your country as well...so many variables... :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: