don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Why, thank you very much...

2. Devon

Devon

your mom
    I fixed the nasty bugs in LZ (yes, it was the race condition that fucked up the tiles), and as for the black water, it was due improper code in the vertical interrupt. Also, I believe I fixed the tiles that sometimes get improperly loaded upon flipping for the most part, but I'm not too sure on that, but here you go.

3. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Rainbows!

Also, yes, I know the Special Stage is broken. I'm trying to get that to work properly.

4. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I was going to enter this in the Hacking Contest, but I felt it didn't really change much, plus I got lazy with development and stuff.

Mini-Sonic 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/download/fj5twjrgclnnjs2/MiniSonic1R1.bin

Basically it is the Mini-Sonic from Metallic Madness, but fleshed out with a full sprite sheet. Because of his size, enemies now take 2 hits, as well as some other slight changes to mechanics because of his change in size.

5. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I was hoping somebody would eventually do this! He's too adorable to have only one level.

6. Now we need one for Tails. :v:

7. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    Adorable! The damage mechanic is great, too. Would it be possible to make Sonic rebound off the enemies on the first hit instead of passing through them? I feel it'd add a lot more to the experience.

8. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Since you removed speed cap, it would be nice if you get rid of the GHZ Killer Tube bug. I died at the end of the S tube because I was going too fast and went out of the screen.

9. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Recently I put together this hack that attempts to improve the cumbersome inventory management in Tails Adventure(s). Instead of being stuck with four items, you can equip any item you've collected, removing the tedious backtracking from forgetting to bring an item you need to beat a level. To make this manageable, there's a new "hotswap" system that lets you assign four items to slots that you can instantly equip from the pause screen.

Controls on pause screen:
    * Left/right: switch items as usual
    * Button 1 + direction: equip the item in the corresponding slot
    * Button 2 + direction: place the currently equipped item in the corresponding slot
    * As a shortcut, if you hold down the Start button when you pause the game, then press a direction while keeping Start held, that item will be equipped and the game will immediately unpause.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0qy646qvu7kwxoa/tailsadv_hotswap.gg

For the heck of it, I also made an alternate version with the quick switch but not the unlimited inventory: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uq8waf8rjhfh4bh/tailsadv_hotswap_regitems.gg

This isn't much by itself, but it'll be an option in an editor I'm working on for the game that will hopefully be ready for release in a few weeks or so, where it'll open up the possibility for more varied level structures.

Also, first time posting in about five years, hi!

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    SupperTails66: I can't test it right now, but you should really crosspost about it on smspower. If you don't have an account (or you don't feel like creating one), I can do that in your behalf.

11. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    I actually do have an SMS Power account (as Supper, which is what I generally use these days), but since this is very much a "mini project" I figured this would be the better place for it. If you think there'd be some interest I can do it, though. I'll definitely post about the editor there when it's ready.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think you should go ahead, each and every 8-bit hack deserves recognition since they're still quite rare these days. Make a post in the Development subforum, saying that the hack is ready and that the editor is on the way, so you'll only make one topic and you won't add too much clutter if that's your concern :)

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Project trufinish demo 2. thinking on naming it sonic abriged. here it is. http://puu.sh/l5OaU/fe491f155f.zip

14. Devon

Devon

your mom
  15. hai guise dis is my first sonic hak pls rate it with a score tnx :v:

link (mirror)

In all seriousness, this was made just as a test to see how SMPS behaves differently ingame rather than in a player or mid2smps driver. It actually started off (obviously) as an attempt to port Akumajo Dracula x68000 songs to SMPS and the result can be seen here in this quick compilation of an old MegaPCM hack. If anyone is interested in more of these, please let me know. I also made some VGMs of these (they behave a bit differently than ingame):

Etude For The Killer (mirror) (OGG)
    Bloody Tear (mirror) (OGG)

I would've used DPCM but I have yet to figure out frequency calculation for those. Volume calculations are way off for now as well (much louder than usual).

16. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    I got a real kick out of the reversed frequencies hacks posted here a while back, so I tried doing the same thing with some of the 8-bit games. Most of the results aren't anything special, but there are a few diamonds in the rough.

Sonic 1 GG (unlike the others, this one uses a custom driver that calculates frequencies "on the fly" instead of using a precomputed table, which made it particularly tricky to work with and causes issues with high notes going off-key)
    Sonic 2 GG (this and Chaos use a linear frequency table that's ear-bleedingly high if you just flip it all, so I fudged things a bit to make it listenable, hence the occasional "squeaking")
    Sonic Chaos (if nothing else, you absolutely must listen to the boss theme -- you could stick it in Wario Land vertbatim and no one would bat an eye)
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Tails Adventures (the title theme somehow morphed into Star Wars cantina music)

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I gave these a go on Stream a few days ago, it was really interesting to hear some of them. I think one of them sounded like a track from the old Pokémon, which was really interesting.

18. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Glad you liked it. I actually made a few more that I didn't post because they didn't turn out all that interesting, but if anyone's curious:

Sonic Drift
    Sonic Drift 2
    Sonic Blast

Most games seem to use one of two standard sound drivers that I assume were part of a devkit, so these are just straight copy-pastes of the flipped tables from the other hacks.

19. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Another small Tails Adventures hack: saving to SRAM instead of using passwords.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wj1w904ffr4v886/tailsadv_save.gg

Just select "Continue" at the title screen. The game saves automatically whenever you go to the world map, or you can save manually by selecting "Cont." at Tails' House. I also made an alternate version without the autosave: http://www.mediafire.com/download/eu8rrva32l0jou0/tailsadv_save_manual.gg

These will both be options in the next version of Tales. I haven't tested them thoroughly, though, so if anyone tries them out, let me know if you run into any problems so I can fix them before release.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I didn't feel this had enough work put into it to justify a thread of its own.

As some of you may know, I was working on a ChuChu-Rocket! ROM for the Mega Drive, it was meant to be a highly accurate port of the Dreamcast version. I stopped working on it for the contest, but, inevitably never came back to it. I just got bored of it, the problem is, I know making a port to the Mega Drive is possible, and with some extremely high accuracy too, far more accurate than the GBA version. It's not "thinking" it'll work, it's "knowing" it'll work, and when you know that factor, it becomes quite boring to make.

http://mrjester.hapisan.com/01_Public/ChuChu-Rocket!.bin

This is more of a demonstration if anything, you can't really "play" it. Pressing start in the level playing field will spawn a ChuChu, and you can spawn quite a few of them (more than the Mega Drive naturally permits displaying I must inform you). But that's it.

Think of it as... mmmmmmoooore of a proof of concept as opposed to a final fun product to play. I'm sure you'll appreciate it for what it is dX