don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Holy shit that's brilliant why hasn't it been done SOMEBODY DO IT.
    Thinking about it there's a lot more interesting possibilities given the dimensions of movement physics in Sonic that are lacking in the ever linear platformer that is SMW. Man it would be fun (and challenging as fuck) to try making an auto-Sonic... that works.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you put Sonic and Tails' Sonic Adventure movesets in Sonic 2? Sonic 2 Adventure Control hopes to answer that question.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This is quite interesting! Though I have to wonder why Tails has no Tail-Spin/Rhythm Badge Attack. Did you feel that it was unnecessary?

Either way I'll probably give it a spin later after work.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'd have to find proper sprites, and I'm not entirely sure how to replicate Tails'... unique physics when you go off a ramp while attacking.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    As for sprites, I can help you with that. I have Tail Spin sprites that I'm looking to use for my fangame. Ill send them to you... but I must recover my files first.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I made another small hack in about an hour and a half, adding collision checks between Sonic and Tails.
    In 1P "Sonic and Tails" mode:
    • If Sonic is invincible and touches Tails, Tails will be hurt.
    • If Tails touches Sonic when Sonic is rolling or charging a spin dash and is not rolling himself, Tails will get hurt.
    • If Sonic and Tails are both rolling, Tails will bounce off of Sonic.
    In 2P Vs. mode:
    • If one player is invincible and the other is not, the non-invincible player will be hurt.
    • If one player touches the other when one is rolling or charging a spin dash and the other is not, the non-rolling player will get hurt.
    • If both players are rolling, they will bounce off of each other.

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Sonic 2: Friendly Fire Edition

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Small update: I replaced the Special Stage in 2P (normal level and tiebreaker) with a small level that has no signpost, meaning the only way to win is to kill the other player.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Small bug MainMemory. If Sonic has a target while homing attacking, he shouldn't uncurl until he hits the target. A couple of times I homing attacked the EHZ boss and, while Sonic was obviously going for the car thing, he uncurled before he could reach it, and his momentum carried him into the car.

10. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Yeah, I had a similar problem when I attacked a couple of badniks. Still, very fun hack. I was almost confused on how to turn Super Sonic at first too, but I got it.
    EDIT - Sucks though the Spin Dash and Light Speed Attack is disabled once you use Debug mode. Part of me wants to create a huge line of badniks to try and combo. Oh well.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I did find an issue with the homing attack that should improve accuracy and hopefully prevent him from uncurling while there is still a valid target.

12. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Okay, a couple of weird things happened in Chemical Plant Zone. Namely the pipes you roll in. Dunno why I did this, but I charged up the Light Speed Dash and went inside the pipe (the first pipe in Act 1). As soon as Sonic reached the end (where there's ring boxes), he attempted to attack them as soon as he got out, but ended up going in the pipe again, but in the wrong direction. He ended up in a different pipe where it's closed by that breakable seal (one where a star post is). Admittedly, I tried to replicate this, but nothing. Also, if Tails grabs you before you enter the pipe, Sonic will bounce around the screen a bit, but he'll still go though. Kind of odd, but I guess doing something other than jumping or walking into it does that, huh?

13. I've tried it. It's a mini hack I've enjoyed to play, because it's original and it's funny how the poor Tails gets hurt after Sonic rolls. Finally, a game where you can do Tails abuse easily.
    Good work!

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Like the mini 'battlefield' level. My only complaint is that the characters often end up going offscreen outside the level's boundaries when using spin dash for offense, the best suggestion to that is either blocking the level to only visible path, or looping it Sonic 3 style.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Oh well. Didn't think it had been done before in Sonic 2, guess I was wrong. Like I said before I knew it was done before in S&K the Challenges.

18. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    GT: This is pretty cool. Vanilla S2 with a fun twist that doesn't change the main game dynamics too much.
    This one'll stay on my HDD for a while. =P

19. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Despite the fact that MainMemory did it already with Sonic 2. I just wanted to do something nice for someone. Eh, the hack was still a learning experience. Mainly the fully functional title screen.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I don't mind though, and it's nice to have something that doesn't have all the other things I added to S2SR.