don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Why's there a chunk taken out of the A when the TM's removed?

2. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Because part of the shield has some A border graphics in it. That's how it's gonna be, as the art file itself is huge as fuck, and I had to basically change EVERY BRANCH in the ene game. Unless you want the TM in on JAP consoles, but that looks kinda stupid. Or I leave the region lock in.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Slightly less stupid than having a chunk taken out of the logo.

You could store the SEGA logo and the TM shield as separate objects/sprites, and only load the TM shield when in EU/US regions. Alternatively, you could move the TM shield to the right a bit, so removing it doesn't remove part of the logo.

EDIT: Why are you region-locking Japan out anyway? Unless you're making another version for Japanese consoles, I don't really see the point in this.

4. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I didn't want to implement a Region Lock in the first place, just the vanishing TM, but I wanted to make use of the unused ASCII string, so I coded up something quickly. In the final release there will be no region lock. As for the TM and stuff - it is all done with plane mappings - no sprites. That shield thingy is still ticking me off quite a bit, I may need to change the art up a bit, but I'm a lazy arse.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    In that case, my second suggestion still applies... move the shield slightly to the right, so that it doesn't share art tiles with the SEGA logo. Then you'd remove that problem.

6. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I'll do that whenever I get time. Shit, School starts back up for me tomorrow anyways.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Have fun.

Tails' HUD will still show up, but other than that enjoy your Sonic and Tails gameplay without Tails in the Special Stages.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    [​IMG]
    This hack is awesome.

9. yeaaaaah, I never changed that. I just wanted to see if it could be done.

10. GenesisFan64

GenesisFan64

The bright side of the dark side. Member
  11. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    What happens when you reverse the frequency tables in Sonic 1?
    This.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Oh wow, this isn't as bad as I expected, some songs are actually half decent. I like the beginning of song $91 (the ending credits).

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This is pretty neat. Now we'll be able to see ports from EWJ in Sonic hacks!

14. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    SYZ is awesome. So is SBZ. The Extra Life sound, sounds like something bad has just happened. D:

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I would love to see this dome again with all the proper sounds in all the right places, with songs for each zone and what-not.

Quite lulzy to play.

16. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Getting an invincibility box in the Sonic 1+Spinball GEMS ROM demonstrates a problem I had with the way GEMS works that led me to abandon a GEMS-SMPS converter: rather than explicitly specifying the mappings of individual sound channels, GEMS sound channels can be arbitrarily mapped to different output sound channels through allocation (so theoretically a GEMS channel can change output channels mid-song!). It's a really unfortunate design decision that, added to the complexity of using the GEMS toolkit (hate trackers? you'll love them after using GEMS's music editor), leads me to wonder exactly how masochistic Genesis developers and musicians were that they took GEMS en masse.

As for the frequency table reversal, there is one ROM that I simply must try that on...

17. GenesisFan64

GenesisFan64

The bright side of the dark side. Member
    Earthworm Jim music in Sonic 1 :P

Oh, and I know about the wrong Music/SFX...
    Source code in request.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hahaha, right on! Thanks man!

This just sounds really cool! It actually improved some songs, especially Marble Zone. Sounds like it could fit a winter level now. I also like how some of the songs have had their emotion reversed. Final Zone sounds joyous, the title screen sounds ominous. And the invincibility and 1-up themes have kind of an "epic" feel now, which I really like.

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    This is so awesome! But it crashes after jumping into a giant ring, I haven't checked and seen if it does this after I hit a signpost. (But after all it's just a mini-hack though. I haven't tried it in Regen or Gens though.) Also FraGag that was awesome. I love how the 1-up jingle sounds dark now, same with the special stage theme. xDD Both are epic, in fact all the songs sound even more epic than the originals. xD I haven't tried the GEMS sounddriver Sonic 1 hack yet though, but I'll download that next.

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Title/invincibility music sound awesome, seriously