don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Don't play it with Tails following though or the sprites will corrupt even more than they do under normal play =P

Nice hack, though!

2. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    It'd be hilarious if everytime Tails touched the booster, he shot off. =P

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm fully in favour of this idea for a v2.0 of the hack if a way can be found to fix the P1 sprite =P

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the idea of the hack, except Sonic being replaced with a non-working booster? :(

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    No, not really, I don't see the point either

Well, I can see this being some sort of POC, showing that it's possible to load more tiles for sonic to use, than what the standard code originally permitted, but that's about it. Maybe we expect more than we're suppose to =(

6. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    IT'S A JOKE YOU MORONS.

Everybody hates Speed Boosters in levels that they don't fit in. This is a Speed Booster in every fucking level, literally.

(This is me assuming of course)

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Oh, that explains a lot, because I basically think boosters fit everywhere, and I think it's good to have Speed Boosters in every fucking level (no joke btw). =P

8. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Even platforming/maze levels? I suppose most of them usually have a few bit you can run through, though.

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    When I say everywhere, I basically mean everyfuckingwhere. I mean, what's the matter about them? I never felt like they're annyoing, never thought like "Who put the goddamn booster there?" because if there is one, it usually fits in the layout perfectly, and I'm more looking into this, instead of it fitting into the level art itself.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Then how the fuck do you KNOW it's a joke you MORON?

On a serious note though; what you could do is have it animated, and if tails happens to walk across sonic, he'll shoot off (It might have been obvious, and I'd asume that most others would've had that idea come to mind, but still).

11. I was discussing this with snkenjoi a few days back (and credit to him for suggesting the use of the window plane) and decided I might as well tidy it up and release it:

[​IMG]

It's a basic hex editor inside Sonic 2. Pause and press A+B+C to access it. Once you're inside, the arrow keys are used to browse around, A/B switch between browsing and editing, and C switches between browsing and address editing. In editing mode, up/down change the byte in increments of 1 while left/right change it in increments of $10, and in address editing mode left/right change the nybble of the address and up/down change the address in increments of that nybble. Download here. Pretty pointless but kinda fun to play around with.

12. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Pointless? This + this = EPIC WIN

Really, really nice idea! =)

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The reason he says it's pointless is because nearly every emulator can do PAR codes. However, most don't allow you to view the RAM (just Gens/GS, I think), so this does still have a use.

Also, is it possible to fuck up the hex editor by changing the values of the cursor location in the hex editor?

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I'd do this, except that I have absolutely no idea how the collision system works in Sonic 2. I'd also fix up the sprites so that Tails doesn't overlap sonic's speedbooster stuff, but I intended for this to be a joke hack that I only work on for 5 minutes and then I'm done.

And yes, it's poking fun at the "OMG SPEEDBOOSTERS IN S4" crowd. I was gonna do a S2: Carty the Minecart as well, but the motivation to do so is nonexistent.

15. The debugging version of Regen has one as well, and pretty much every version of Gens has a basic 68000 debugger which includes a RAM viewer. Gens Rerecording also has RAM watch, which is quite useful.

The cursor location is stored at $FFF322, but editing it has no effect because it's written to every frame so the edits don't get registered. $FFF320 stores the starting screen RAM address, however, and editing that can lead to fuck-ups.

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    So lately since my internet connection has been fucking up I got bored and decided to start working on my sonic hack. One thing lead to another, and I came up with a pretty awesome idea. Introducing Sonic Time Attack, my Sonic 1 hack. You got 6:59 to make it through the entire game, and debug is disabled so no cheating. xP Here's the download link: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2326f0/n/...Time_Attack_zip
    A few sprites are edited, well only their palettes are and I didn't really feel like fixing them because I am lazy. xP Also, I would post a video, but my connection is a big pile of shit and Youtube doesn't want to load. >.> Oh and the title screen isn't edited, I just had to name the file something... but I do plan on adding more features to this hack in the future.

17. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    I bet even speedrunners can't beat this game. :B

It'd be more awesome, if you collect a ring, one second would be substracted from the time. So you should remove some rings in the level and it should be fine.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I got to the MZ boss, but died before I could beat him. You'd have to be more than twice as fast as the fastest speedrunner to beat it, and that's disregarding the fact that speed shoes are now slow shoes.

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Actually, when the game starts from a continue, the time counter starts back at zero. I forgot to mention that. :v: As for future releases, there will be a clock monitor. I almost got it fully working. And once that is fixed, I'll start my own thread. (I actually have a build with the clock monitor in it, it freezes the time but there are a few bugs I need to fix... )

20. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    There should be a special hidden button that freezes time for 1 minute, like the one in cannon's core from SA2.