don't click here

Puzzle & Action Tant-R (Overseas version)?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by ICEknight, May 13, 2011.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Back in the day, the Japanese version of this game used to be in almost every arcade where I live but, while being one of the most successful games along with Super Pang or Tetris, everybody used to complain about how the game couldn't be beaten if you ever got to the "HINT" stage.

Thing is, I remember seeing one day, in a now-replaced bar near my parents', what appeared to be a translated version with "Tant-R" written in big letters at the title screen. This is the reason I've always thought it was wrong to spell it "Tanto-R" like in some goodsets, and it was later confirmed with the PS2 compilation that the official overseas name is indeed "Tant-R".

I was wondering, does anybody else remember ever seeing such a thing? I find it so hard to believe that this arcade game was officially translated but released in incredibly limited quantities, but seeing how it's never been considered for inclusion in MAME, it seems likely.

Or perhaps it was a very well made pirate, but it's still not in MAME.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I'm not sure about Tant-R, but I DO know there's a World Ichidant-R in MAME and I want to know if that is a bootleg like the Puyo Puyo (World) is or not. Maybe I should contact someone from there... Does the PS2 one also say it should be Ichidant-R and not Ichidanto-R? And what is the name of that PS2 thing anyway?

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=601184:date=Jun 30 2011, 05:21 PM:name=Andlabs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andlabs @ Jun 30 2011, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=601184">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the PS2 one also say it should be Ichidant-R and not Ichidanto-R?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Nope, since they treated it as a bigger first game with the minigames of both. But I remember that the train level says "ICHIDANT-R" in at least the Mega Drive version, though.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And what is the name of that PS2 thing anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c8EToWAdRc" target="_blank">SEGA Classics Collection</a>.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    The Korean arcade version uses "Tant-R" on its title. Aside from that and a few Japanese bootlegs, nothing else has been dumped.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, that's true!
    [​IMG]

I knew I had seen such a thing! Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Adding the overseas Ichidant-R title for font comparisons.
    [​IMG]

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    On a different note, was "Tant-R" a general phrase that has some meaning in Japanese?

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=711&gid=2014#2014

This is graphically different from the Puzzle & Action games, though it has similar gameplay structure (with the added incentive that each game won will have the winner take some of the the game's virtual money from the loser's pile of money; you both get piles of money at the start). I doubt it's the fourth title...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Isn't it a variation of Sand-R? I remember seeing that stage with the balloons before...