Pulseman - Sonic Worlds

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Matwek, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Matwek

Matwek

My knowledge of programing is pretty slim, actually I would say it's more non-existent but I had some spare pixel art lying around and I had an idea for something.

I know the Sonic Worlds engine doesn't get much praise for being an exact replica of the sonic gameplay but how difficult would it be for me to turn this...
    [​IMG]
    (Ignore the metal parts, thats being used for another project so I will have to replace it)

Into this…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XtzoNv2Jzw

Forget the enemies and the “cyber world” bits and pieces but I just want to try and emulate the style of play and move set.
    If things went well I would love to combine the two games by increasing Pulsemans speed and introducing ramps and slopes.

2. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Pulseman had great gameplay. The voltekker gimmick was fun and they found great uses for it. However it is not nearly as deep as Sonic gameplay as it does not have the dimensions of playability that Sonic has. There isn't much interest, and if you ask me, making a Pulseman engine would be pretty easy, but tedious. I like the idea of combining it with slopes and Sonic's engine, but this sounds like it belongs to an individual's efforts for a fangame. The hard part is done, after all.
    You shouldn't need programming knowledge if you're working with MMF2 and Sonic Worlds. I'm not very good at programming and I could see myself making it happen without it.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

FML and FU2 Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You are far better off making an engine from scratch than you are monkeyfisting Sonic Worlds to act like a Pulseman engine. Look for some Static Movement tutorials. It'd also help you to look into using deltaTime, to ensure that framerate-based calculations are done correctly regardless of the framerate the game is actually running at. Construct Classic has deltaTime built in, but you'd have to figure out how to implement it into MMF.

4. Matwek

Matwek

I did think that myself but then again I don't nessesarily want the gameplay to be exactly like pulseman. I wanted it to feel like a slower paced sonic game, with a little mix up with the moves you can perform.
    But by the looks of it I've already been beaten to the punch with this "Freedom Planet" game thats just turned up.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Comic Mischief Member
    Kathmandu, Nepal
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Freedom Planet is fucking awesome, and has made me sorely want to make a platform game now. So should you. Don't give up, just do it. DO IT Matwek, you can crank out some awesome pixel arts. Do it. :)

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'd like to see a Ristar Engine myself.

7. Matwek

Matwek

I have released a couple of iPhone games in the past but I always worked with a programmer, it's a little harder to find someone who wants to help with a fan game.

I always hate those "I have an idea, please make my game for me" topics so I'll definitely look into doing it myself.