don't click here

PSO2 & New Genesis Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Yuzu, Jan 24, 2012.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If it drops with all three episodes that might make people bite if it does come over to the West. There will still be people complaining about a PC version though. Though, if they took the time to translate it they might as well release the PC version as well.

It would be nice if it did come West since the PS4 is still new AND would give an alternative to Final Fantasy XIV.

2. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I'm more inclined to say that while I do enjoy it (though I haven't played it for a while), I'll also say that there's so much missing potential, but that's sorta because I'm spoiled by seeing No Man's Sky and thinking of how amazing a Phantasy Star Online game would be with that kind of galaxy to explore. They don't even have to stop doing more traditional missions, they could just hand-pick a few planets for story missions and the like. Granted, I'd also like to see an MMO story actually play out in real-time for once, MMO stories are pretty much always single-player stories with absolutely no self-awareness.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    They have to be, otherwise they'd be like temporary events if they played out real time, wouldn't they?

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I don't understand where this one comes from. Console gaming in Japan is significantly more popular then PC gaming is. Back in 2013, I recall seeing a comment asking why SquareEnix supported FFXIV on PS3 when PC version is so much better, and the response was basically that while in the US over 70% of the install base was on PC, the opposite was true in Japan, with something like 70% of Japanese players being on consoles because PC's are thought of as work machines. (A quick search found this article)

Coincidentally, I actually started playing this again 2 weeks ago. I hadn't touched it since Final Fantasy XIV ARR was in beta, but 2 weeks ago I let the game install 2 years worth of patches. (It was over 14GB of stuff the download, I was probably better off getting a fresh copy of the game, but I don't care. Glad it actually worked though.) I've been trying to catch up on the story mode, though it's going pretty slowly. I was level 25 the last time I played, I'm level 30 now and only on Chapter 4 of Episode 1. I wish I had understood the matter board stuff 2 years ago, I basically hadn't made it past the first chapter until last week and had originally just been leveling off of the quests. It's really nice to play now that most item names are translated, and I'm hoping the game will flow correctly for me once I make it to chapter 5 since I had everything up to tunnels unlocked and chapter 4 is the desert planet.

Edit: When you posted about the PS4 version, you forgot to mention that PSO2 Episode 4 also comes out next year. I hope if they bring it to the US that they include that as well.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Finally some news:
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/29/10685900/phantasy-star-online-2-anime-coming-to-north-america

Not what anyone wanted, but it's something at least.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    it'll be better than sword art online surely

I mean

not that that's a high bar to clear

8. Yuzu

Yuzu

It could be worse.

It could be a Phantasy Star Universe anime.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I watched the first episode and it was so generic and lazily written that I feel like I can barely remember anything that happened. Except I guess this:

- The protagonist is a high schooler who is pretty much perfect and has no personality whatsover outside of being perfect.
    - The first two thirds of the episode is basically just introducing the characters. Except none of the characters have any real personality outside of basic slice of life/school life anime tropes. It almost feels like the writers tried to make all of the characters as generic and uninteresting as they possible could as some sort of challenge.
    - The protagonist is told that if he doesn't play the MMO the anime is promoting that he'll be a social outcast. Subtle.
    - I cannot tell if the Crunchyroll translator misheard Sega Academy or if the school is actually called Seiga Academy.
    - In the last third the protagonist has to play PSO2 for the school council for... gauging social stuff or something? I don't know I long stopped caring about anything at this point.
    - When the protagonist starts playing he is somehow amazing at the game and can fight high level enemies despite having literally just started.
    - All of the action scenes consists of is badly animated CG.
    - The animation budget is so low that they used cinematics from the game to fill in time.
    - By the way do you want to play PSO2 yet we sure hope you want to play PSO2 this is a good video game in which you do awesome stuff we swear please play PSO2 really its good.

Bad blatant informercial for a video game / 10

10. Yuzu

Yuzu

Remember when I said that this anime could be worse?

I was wrong.

Holy shit is it bad.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    still sounds better than sword art online

12. Yuzu

Yuzu

you're better off rewatching the whole first season of Sword Art Online than touching the PSO2 pilot. :v:

13. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Or you could just watch .hack//SIGN.

... I need to actually finish that series. I think I've actually forgotten how long ago I actually started it.

14. HyperShadowDC

HyperShadowDC

Oldbie
    Does anyone here play this game?

I'm on JPN Server 2 -- User: camohiddendj

15. Amnimator

Amnimator

Couldn't even finish the first episode. I was interested in Phantasy Star Online 2 as I want to get into an MMO and this seemed interesting, but... The anime almost completely destroyed my interest in the game. It's like SEGA hired a cheapo anime studio with $20 and a chocolate bar. A few things TimmiT didn't state that I think is worth saying:
    -The main character says he hasn't played PSO2 but it's basically the only thing installed on his computer.
    -The guy literally shows up to student council and this girl shoves a Vita in his face with the title screen of PSO2 out of nowhere.
    -There is a section of the episode that shows the proper pronunciation of PSO2. (Pee Ees Oh Too)
    -It is told more than once that if you don't play PSO2 you will be an outcast.
    -Main character uses Windows 10 while side characters use Vista. This is not possible as you can not play games on Windows Vista.
    -Crunchyroll knows it's bad so they give you free 1080p.
    -Anime assumes PSO2 is this national sensation everyone plays. Localize the game first if it's really that important :V
    I'd almost say this is worse than Sword Art. Almost.

16. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
  17. Yuzu

Yuzu

18. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    They never region locked it. I've been playing since closed beta. The English patches are getting pretty comprehensive now, too.

19. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I think the End User Agreement has something in there about how you're not supposed to play if you're outside of Japan, but I don't think it's ever really been enforced.

The SEA version is IP locked. They got rid of it for a brief time last year but a few days later it was back.

20. Yuzu

Yuzu

A lot of western IP addresses were accidentally blocked after a hacking incident in 2014 (I think), that resulted in a lot of users having to use pso2proxy