PSO2 Discussion (New Genesis Announced!)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Yuzu, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Back on track Member
    Bilbao, Spain
    Upgrading my own life to pro edition
    I've never affixed, japanese seem to like to complicate everything to get even the slightest bonus. Btw, I don't think you needed to do that, I don't think it will take that much time for it to be up on the international servers once the beta period ends (ignore me if you're that eager to try it, since I don't know when it's meant to be released to the public).

This game reached drug cathegory for me, so I quitted the other day until the next mission pass is released, and I'll definitely quite after I complete that one since I won't be able to run the game after the graphics upgrade. If I ever get a better computer (I doubt I'll be able to in the near future ), I'll try the international servers for new genesis since I'd really like to see those graphics on my own desktop and I'll get little benefit from sticking to the jp server if the character's level and stuff doesn't carry over.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Back on track Member
    Bilbao, Spain
    Bumping this because the new graphics engine is already there in the japanese servers and I wanted to share my impressions.

The engine looks great, although it tends to get a bit dark, dark as in more realistic but a bit tweaked for horror movies or thrillers (it can cast really long shadows). Well, that's if you select the highest value at every option. Really nice that blur effect when moving. the kind of effect you'd want in a Sonic game to convey speed.

It's also not very demanding too; I know it's not asking too much to a capable enough, recently bought computer, but mine's the opposite to that and I could turn a lot of stuff on without compromising the framerate I had with the old engine save for a few slight occasional framerate drops on the busier moments.

They have a couple of technical issues for now, though, so my gold mission pass is already at tier 12 or 13 but I can't yet collect my rewards, and that pisses my off. I hope they fix it for the next week.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Good to hear it's not as demanding as many thought it would be. Seeing how getting a new GPU is near impossible these days it'll be nice to not have to rush for a new build anytime soon in order to play this (though it would be nice to have anyway).

4. Yuzu

Yuzu

5. Despatche

Despatche

Only 16 pages in 9 years? Tough crowd.

There were quite a few people who swore up and down that the campaigns ending on June 9th were a red herring and even that this game was going to be delayed. I can't see anything about the CBTs or the footage they've shown us that suggests the game needs a delay, though. We might get an emergency maintenance, but even that really seems like a worst case scenario.

Note that we're getting a massive maintenance from Monday up to that Wednesday, so two whole days to get characters ready, and hopefully download the game if Sega will allow that. They usually do let you download updates at some point before maintenance ends, even huge updates like the expansions, so...

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I played the open beta. It was fun, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to keep going. I've been playing PSO2 for a year straight, and by that I mean I have logged in every single day, without fail, since the Windows PC launch. Pretty sure this is the first MMO I've ever done that with, so that's quite a feat, but I kinda want to take a break.

Furthermore, and probably the more pressing reason why I'm reluctant to keep playing: my PC can barely the run the game. During the beta I had HUGE frame rate drops when there was a lot going on, which isn't ideal for a game like this where quick response time is a must, or else you'll just bring everyone else down during urgent quests and even in regular exploration. Not to mention the game on lowest settings just looks like... balls. I've never really been nitpicky about graphics before but man... I need an upgrade lol. Unfortunately GPUs will be hard to come by for a while still, and I'm waiting for a deal on an Alienware laptop now that the newer models are out. Praying for a price drop on the older ones...

Speaking of PC's and system requirements, the benchmark for NGS is here if you want to test out your rig.

7. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I had fun with the original game in the original Japanese closed beta tests. Back when this game was fresh it was really exciting. With no real expectations at the time, the game felt big and impressive. When the game finally got properly released, it was fun for a while—I enjoyed doing Advance Quests at high risk values and just plowing through hordes of enemies. I liked gathering cute new outfits. I liked just hanging with my friends and talking.
    The game's luster quickly wore off. The more I thought about the game the more I thought that it, with all of its MMO trappings and power trip design, was really not for me. I got into Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity at about this time, which more or less replaced PSO2 for me and was the game I would go on to play for hundreds of hours.

NGS looks kinda interesting, but at this point I don't know if I have the energy to dive back into the PSO2 world. A lot of the changes here are pretty ambitious, but I'm just not sure if I can commit myself to it. I don't even think that my aging computer, which already had some problems with the original game, has any hope of playing this.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Back on track Member
    Bilbao, Spain
    Manteinance has been extended, but I've loaded the game and I didn't like it goes straight to NGS instead of asking if you want to load the old PSO2, which is what I want to keep doing since the new one is too much for my PC too (plus I prefer to switch from JP to global for NGS if all the progress I've made until now will mean nothing in the new game).

I don't like very much what will happen from now on with the old game either: I understand they don't want people to stay in the old adventure with a new one here, so they're not making it "appealing", but, as a legacy game, they could have given it some "easy mode" treatment now; a lot of it was outdated thanks to the power and level cap creeps, yet everything still gives the same experience as before, having to resort to luck with bonus keys to level up in a desirable way. They're at least easening the acces to serviceable bonus keys, at least, but the game gets quite repetitive if the only thing worth doing you have is repeating daily and bonus quests time and again.

Sorry for the ranting, but this game asked too much dedication for the player and they're not rewarding us even in a moment like this.

EDIT:
    You probably know this already if you were playing at the JP servers, but now these servers are again region-locked with the usual VPN/proxy methods not working like they previously did, so people like me can't play the game right now and will miss any inauguration bonus they're giving. Good to rehab from this drug but it's not fun to be forced out of something I could do with no issue a couple days ago.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 1:40 AM