don't click here

PROSONIC IS NOW OPEN SOURCE

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by saxman, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    Better yet, Ikaruga. :U

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Ikaruga wasn't sprite based....

Reposting:

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I think it was mentioned before, but will there be any sort of support for playing smps music files? I remember emulation of the yamaha sound chip being mentioned before, but that'd be a nifty feature just for genesis feeling.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Glad to see this is coming to a release :)

I didn't keep myself updated with your blog and stuff, what did you decide in regard of sound and music? You know I'm particularly interested in that. I hope you're going to include support for (at least) midis, modules, mp3s, waves, as each of them has different application areas: with a midi or a module you can get a nice looping background music for example, something you can't do easily with an mp3.

Also what Shoemanbundy said. I didn't see his post while I was writing my message :p

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    So?

:thumbsup:

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I assume Chimpo was talking about the second boss, not the polarity stuff. It's made out of a bunch of sprites, and uses rotation for stuff like hand movements. Because it doesn't distort too much, I'm also assuming the hands are at a higher resolution than the Saturn can display, then shrunk down in real time to keep them sharp.

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I love the excitement that's coming from you people, but I don't want to let things get too far out of hand and have people be disappointed when I release the engine.

You'll be able to import levels, and you'll be able to make new levels.

S3K-style transitions won't be readily available in this release.

I don't have Tails playable -- it was a pain just getting Sonic playable. Give me time to work on that, but I don't think it's going to show up in this release.

I plan to launch a YouTube video at the same time that this engine is made available for download.

It won't support Sonic 1, 2, and 3K in this release. The outline I wrote over a year ago is no longer relevant to what I'm doing currently. I maintain my stand on backwards compatibility, but it requires some time. Certain things will definitely be portable though.

Level scaling is broken. It'll be broken until I rewrite my level rendering code. Level scaling would be a great feature to have, but I don't view it as one of the most important features, so fixing it is put on hold.

There will be music and sound support, but I have no concrete details as to what specifically will be supported at this time. You'll definitely know by release, or close to it.

Those things aside, there's plenty of good things about the engine, and there are one or two surprises (at least I think they're surprises... I guess I'll have to wait until I see how the public reacts). The engine will be ready to get people started with making games. However, it will NOT be perfect, nor a finished product. That's where software updates will come into play.

With this first ever public release, I will target the hacking scene specifically. Later, I will be targetting this scene and the general fan gaming scene. But you all are the group I'm starting with. I wanna add functionality that I think ROM hackers would want. I hope the recent change in direction of this engine over the past few months will satisfy you all. I've made more progress over the past 3 months than I ever did before. So even if this release doesn't do EVERYTHING you want it to do, progress has been pretty rapid lately, and I expect that to continue so long as I remain organized and have a clear plan to move forward. I pray that you'll have confidence in me =)

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    So how easy is it to import new tiles? Sonic Classic is built on the basis that everything, if it was needed, could be imported to a sonic game. The only exception being the sprite and some other tiles which may use a bit more color than it should.

Basically, will I be able to easily put new tiles in? Or will it be like sonED?

9. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    New tiles are simple. You can draw say a 128x128 BMP, then run it through one of my utilities, and it'll break it down into the individual 16x16 blocks and create the mappings for it and everything. So, you won't even have to worry about that stuff unless you're adding collision to the tile.

Unless that's not what you meant...

10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Awesome. That'll really come in handy.
    Just say, can your utility also do that for larger pictures? Because I already made stuff in 256x256 chunks and if there's an easier way to split them into 128x128 chunks than manually doing so I'd welcome it.

Oh, and another question. Will the engine support parallax scrolling independent of single-line-scrolling? because I have a few elements that overlap others, so I couldn't make them move independently with the Mega Drive system.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Did anyone click the video at all or are you all just a bunch of dumbasses? (Except for you Phos. You're cool.) I didn't mention polarity shit at all.

I was talking about the level scaling to provide a sort of a camera zooming in effect. Watch as Zophar goes farther apart from Shyna in that video and the game zooms in and out the playfield. That's what I want.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If all else fails, I will send you the utility I wrote for Solaris ages ago, that takes a (n*128)x(m*128) PCX file and splits it in n*m 128x128 PCX files...

13. KingKombat

KingKombat

Holy crap, its releasing on my birthday! Sweet.

14. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Well, there's one of your gifts =P

I'm probably not even going to use ProSonic for my big project on it's beta release... I might if there's enough to start, but I may just play around with it at first.

15. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    A preview...

... OF THE GREATEST SONIC GAME EVER MADE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbeji7mvelg

Actually it's a short demonstration of how ProSonic's level editing capabilities are built into the engine, and can play it in real-time

EDIT: Who's the punk that gave it 1 star?? I'll kill you!

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    :O

we should use that music for all the levels in Sonic 4.

17. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I suggest the Hamster Dance for the S4 music.

Regardless, I'll enjoy fucking with the level in real time.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I am stuck in a dilema now.

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I do agree. That is the greatest Sonic game in years. =3

20. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Awesome. Once one'll be able to edit the Sonic object and I can make it behave exactly like in Sonic CD, this'll come in handy to test various hard to reach shortcuts and tricky jumps. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.