don't click here

Project SXU (Devlog)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Etendo, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Etendo

Etendo

[​IMG]

What is Project SXU? well, lemme tell ya. Project SXU is a recreation of the cancelled Saturn title, Sonic X-treme, in the Unity engine.

What is the goal of Project SXU?: Project SXU aims to recreate Sonic X-treme as close as possible, while adding original ideas and concepts from X-treme. The levels will be as accurate as we can make to the levels seen in videos, images, ect, (this version) while making brand new Act 2's for the zones! as well as remaking bosses from seen sketches as well as videos/screenshots.

What started Project SXU?: Project SXU started in late 2017 as a means for me personally to learn Unity. But was in a sort of limbo not really being pursued much, as I was busy in life. It picked up in the start of 2019 after I finished my schooling and has gone to places I couldn't even imagine thanks to Comicnights amazing controller he's been actively working on.

Who all is working on the project?: Currently, me (Etendo) and Comicnight. I am recreating the original levels thanks to DEF viewers and handling UV mapping, as well as sprites. Comicnight is handling the programming, and will make new levels of his own.

Where are we currently in terms of progress?: Well, at the moment we have the basic layout of Jade Gully, Crystal Frost and some of Blue Ocean (Act 1). I am still working on getting the levels decor sprites out and put in the levels (I've had to build Jade Gully 3 times now, gimmie a break, haha).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I've already gotten the sprites out for Red Sands.

As for Sonic, we have a very stable working controller (that feels awesome by the way). Still working on adding in more sprites (skidding, ect).

I made this thread to help update the progress of this project and to be able to interact with the community, as well as garner feedback. Let us know of anything you may think of!

We also have a discord! here you will be able to talk with us and see some inside dev stuff we will post, as well as vote in polls to help us get instant results. You can join here: https://discord.gg/zs3eaWx

And you can find our Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHX4xAnJ70IGQKLI1o7HSg

Thank you for reading, and we hope you all will join us on this X-treme journey!

Project SXU team

Etendo: Sprite ripper/sorter, art creator and level builder

Comicnight: Programmer, modeler, art creator and level builder

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Etendo

Etendo

Hello! it's been awhile, but I've come here to announce we will be having a live stream tomorrow at 4 P.M. MT talking about the newest additions to SXU, older builds, demos, and the new upcoming demo. I will be giving a very detailed update here at some point, probably after the new demo drop. Hope to see you there!

3. comicnight

comicnight

progress.

4. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I know there's a few Xtreme remake projects already out there, but this looks really cool. Not sure why you guys aren't getting more play on this. You mentioned a playable demo dropping, but I didn't catch any reference to when that would happen. I'd love to give this thing a spin.

5. Etendo

Etendo

6. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I had the chance to quickly play through the Demo (mostly Jade Gully) and it looks really good! Your attention to detail on the little stuff like how the level title moves and the general look of things is really nice! There's 2 things I might change though, that being the length of Sonic's slow-down animation and how slippery he can feel. I found myself dying quite a lot in the third stage because I slipped off a platform. Honestly though, it's nice to see all the work you guys have put into this and it gives me hope we may still see Xtreme in some complete-ish form despite AXSX's cancellation.

7. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    i just saw the video and i genuinuly gasped
    this looks so accurate to the original game its scary

i am interested in seeing this game progress

8. Etendo

Etendo

Thank you so much!

9. XL2

XL2

Good job!
    This is progressing nicely!
    What format do you use for the maps? Is it done with a modeling software (Blender), or it's done using unity specific tools?

10. Etendo

Etendo

Originally, the levels were being built within Unity. Comicnight even coded a level builder in Unity for SXU. However, yes, we have moved onto using Blender to make the levels. More efficient.

11. Etendo

Etendo

------NEW UPDATE------

Hey there! been awhile! some of you may know, SXU was at this years SAGE. There has been an update to the 4 Worlds Demo, and I'm here to share it.

What is in this demo? all of the 4 original Sonic X-treme levels seen in the footage leaked online. This includes

Jade Gully

Crystal Frost

Red Sands

Death Egg

What's the update?

The update has fixed Sonic's movement, as well as bugs and added in missing enemies from the original SAGE demo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update Video

Download

https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/project-sxu.525/

https://gamejolt.com/games/sonic-x-treme-unity/291545

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  12. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I love this project so much. Running around in the recreation of that chunky Saturn graphical style gives me the same warm, fuzzy feeling as like, revisiting Mario 64, or the PS1 Crash games.

13. Etendo

Etendo

Thank you so much! glad you enjoy it.

14. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    So, I just gave this a shot to see what it was like. I find it really cool: this, alongside Project AXSX, is probably the closest we'll get to an X-Treme that's playable. However, and this is nothing to do with your recreation at all, I can see why the game didn't exactly make it to shelves. It's not really Sonic like, and feels like the game wants to go in two different directions :V I still enjoyed it, though. Here's some points from the top of my head:

Sonic's movement doesn't seem to fit the level design. He goes far too fast - it's really evident in Crystal Frost, on the jumping section above the lake. I know that there's not much you can do here for the layout, as this is a recreation of X-Treme, but Sonic doesn't seem to control all that well when doing slow platforming like that. I feel like his acceleration in the air needs to be reduced somewhat, or in general. The physics are also a bit wonky, alongside the collision in some areas. Being right up against a wall and jumping makes you hit the platform above you, when you'd expect to smoothly slide onto it. There's also some issues with spindashing across gaps - you seem to fall, and then catch yourself before you fall down.

To add onto the physics bit, the spindash and roll is kinda useless. You lose speed far too fast as a ball, and hitting, say, a spring that bounces you in the opposite direction kills your momentum entirely. The spindash feels weird to use, as you hold it to charge up, instead of revving it (I think? There's no real feedback). That's a problem in general, I think - there's not much feedback for your actions.

The level design is neat, and I like exploring, but having some kind of indication that you need a key for the door (for Crystal Frost) would be good, I feel. I also feel like some parts of the levels don't make sense - as if they're not completely finished (which, honestly, they probably aren't). Death Egg has this problem a ton - there's an entire optional section you need to get to by... backtracking from the goal. And I don't remember if there was anything of note there. It feels like it's supposed to be a shortcut, but there's no way to it, outside of going the wrong way at the last moment. However, again, you're recreating X-Treme: the level layouts probably aren't finalized.

Good work, though - this is really impressive to see.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think this is a really impressive recreation, but I do agree with everything the above post mentions.

Maybe the part of the game that gives me the most trouble is how easy it is to fall off the maps. I feel like it shouldn't be as easy to fly off the handle, especially in early levels.

16. vexatious

vexatious

Banned
    Good job etendo!

Etendo... What 3d format was used on the initial project during "sonic boom" development? I was thinking DXF but not sure.

17. Etendo

Etendo

Thank you!

The only real file format I know of that was used were the DEF files. Which is what we use now for reference when remaking the levels.

18. Etendo

Etendo

------NEW (LATE) UPDATE------

Hey there, been a bit.

Some of you may know, or may not, but we released a small little Christmas demo on Christmas with a spiced up version of the Christmas level found in the files.

What is in this demo?

Glad you asked, stranger. This demo includes just one level (Christmas level), 8 directional sprites, and analog control, which the previous demos did not have.

[​IMG]
    (Yes that was in the original files)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Demo Release Trailer

Download

https://gamejolt.com/games/sonic-x-treme-unity/291545

Special thanks to Comicnight and Voxel for making this possible.

Thank you!

19. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    If I were you, what I would do is maybe create some invisible barriers around the whole thing on all the levels so you can't fall off so easily then just add more enemies to make up for the lack of challenge that would create.

Other than falling off all the time, this is a cool recreation of what we could see in those youtube videos. I'm just unable to pull off the smoothness and speed at which the youtube videos run due to losing control and falling off or running into walls.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022