don't click here

Project: Sonic Retro

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tweaker, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm happy to announce we have taken on a new community project—Project: Sonic Retro! Formerly known as the Sonic 4 project, this is a new, collaborative Sonic game led by Phoebius, Qjimbo, and BJCharles intended to go back to Sonic's roots in a very literal sense and create a brand new Sonic game, comparable to the original 16-bit games.

Some may know we have had a shaky history with this project in the past, but all these things are now resolved, and we're hoping that as many people as possible try to contribute towards the project in whatever way they can. Pixel Artists, musicians, et al are welcome to submit any contributions they have per the relevant contribution guidelines for the project.

Being Sonic Retro, we felt it was appropriate to have a project of our own name that really tried to symbolize what we thought classic Sonic was about. Like Sonic 2 HD, we plan to take the future of Sonic into our own hands in whatever way possible. Sonic Retro—a Sonic Retro community project—will prove to be one of our most prestigious projects yet. I have confidence, however, that this community can band together and create something great. We're all seasoned experts here—let's put that skill to the test! :objection:

If you're not registered on the boards yet and you're interested in contributing towards the project, feel free to make an account and join us! We'll certainly welcome you. :rolleyes:

2. ...I guess I'm... seasoned...

So, is this just another Sonic 4 project? And is it gonna be a binary ROM, or an executable program?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do SOME art... when the time has come.

EDIT: I'm beginning to think I wasn't supposed to post. If so, delete this.

3. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Id be interested but I could only offer testing and opinions on Level Layouts and how the game feels to play. Sorry if this is a waste of a post but id love to get involved in a project like this.

4. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    I'd love to help in any way that I can. I do have a web server with unlimited storage/bandwidth that could be used as a mirror possibly?

5. MayoSunstar

MayoSunstar

IMAGINATION Member
    If I knew C# or C++(anything besides GML), was an expert at graphic design, or new how to make sounds out of scratch instead of creating them from compiled and mixed MIDI notes, then I wouldn't be too intimidated to help... :thumbsup:

More seasoning salt please...

6. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I would contribute some game music I wrote (well, actually played by ear and memorized the pattern to), but my keyboard has problems and doesn't sound quite right. My electric drums work fine though. If I get another keyboard I may be able to put something better together. As long as I have a certain type of level in mind I could probably come up with a good track for it. I have a good Desert Level track in mind already but I was planning on using it in my own project once I get a band of friends in on it.

Perhaps if I made a track and uploaded it, somebody could convert it into the Sonic 1 format using a tool to make it sound like the rest of the Genesis games.

I don't know what the project leaders have planned... if they want the music to sound Genesis-like or Sega CD/Saturn-like.

Even if someone got ahold of my notes and remixed the track on their own, I have some catchy stuff that could be borrowed from. Let me know and I will see what I can do.

EDIT: Ah I looked at the music examples that were posted in the Community Projects section and see that the tracks sound close in style to the Genesis tracks. That is what I was hoping for.

7. Shouldn't the community focus on Sonic 2 HD first? It seems like a bad idea to spread all the talent out across multiple projects.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    People will ultimately work on what they want to work on. There's no real need to worry—each project has its own general party of interested contributors, anyway. I have full confidence that both Sonic 2 HD and Project Retro will thrive as much as they're going to, regardless of the presence of the other.

9. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Yeah, I'd contribute to S2HD, but I personally find spriting much easier and less time-consuming than "HD-izing" stuff. The two projects are pretty different in nature anyway, and not everyone feels the obligation to work on both.

On the topic of Project: Sonic Retro, I'm glad this is happening as it will bring in more people to work on the project, as well as a broader base for concepts that would fit. This should keep things more active than before. I too have music from my keyboard that I'd like to contribute, but I still have to burn it. :F

10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I'm feeling a bit left out, but you know, whatever, I don't care.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Don't be sad, even if your Sonic 2 LD isn't an official community project, it's getting a lot of contributions, for the simple fact that, you know, it's an awesome project. I still want to believe that people are smart enough to choose the best project when they feel like doing "something". But yes, I can see where you're coming from, I'm not impressed by this Sonic 4 at all. Sonic 2 LD forever!

12. Megaphilip

Megaphilip

Banned
    Hello there. I wish you all the best in this project. I would do it but I haven't got a good program to make art :rolleyes:

13. Witch Chao

Witch Chao

Now with 200% more Bullshit Member
    Super Sonic Drift
    I'd like to contribute Sound and Graphics to this project, if possible.
    I've been studying Genisis and Game Gear style graphics off and on recently, and would like to put my knowledge to the test.

I've also had a long wish to contribute to a game musically, but recently I've also been playing with sound effects. I've also played with other things.

I think I'll try to work on a sample track later.

P.S. My Mario Kart hack isn't dead, just slow.

14. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Oh I came up with a track that is reminiscent of Oil Ocean Zone when it comes to mood and tempo, but the note pattern is completely different. It might be great for the sewer level. I'll post my sample after I add more parts where the music changes slightly. I need to add in some drums too. It would still need to be remixed by someone though, as my keyboard is not capable of producing suitable sound for games on its own. What I provide will be my musical notes and a possible idea of how the song might go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.