don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Wentos or not, I highly doubt that the character in that silhouette is anyone but Sonic anyway. We've seen the Sonic 1 title comparison enough.

Theory: they aren't hiding the fact that Sonic is in the game, they're hiding how he's going to look in the game.
    [​IMG]

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Urgh, please no. =(

3. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=349966:date=Sep 11 2009, 06:03 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Sep 11 2009, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349966">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's funny, Sega is kind of sealing Sonic's fate with this game. They could have kept going the route they were going, making game after game, and if they got progressively better, people would start to like the series more. But they're speeding up the process here. Rather then play the waiting game, this game is basically like releasing 5 games. If it's good, people will start to love Sonic again. If it's bad, Sonic will enter gaming hell and never escape.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's basically what it is.

It's feels like SEGA skipped important evolution steps. I personally knew (read: hoped) a project like this would happen eventually, but it feels to me like it is not yet time for it. Much like if they are debunking their own statements theirselves that, improving the series will take time. The entire 2D Sonic HD concept seems hit-or-miss. If they are successful, the Sonic franchise will have more credibility from the time of the new game's release on. If they fail (it's a 2D game, as many have claimed to be the only salvation of the Sonic franchise at each new 3D game release), these same people will belive that there's no hope for Sonic at all, and that is the end of it. Or the game could be 'meh,' and noone would care about it at all, and everything could continue to be as it always have been for the last ten years.

But yeah, I secretly hope that this tittle is actually a Sonic 4, with 320x224 screen resolution, stretched to fit a full screen, with a limit of 16 color palletes for the sprites, use the same physics of the original Genesis tittles and YM2612 chiptune musics. =D (Yeah, I basically wanted they would pull of a Megaman 9 =P) But that's mostly not going to happen. u_u

I hope they just don't deceive me in the physics, and create some propper physics engine, because Rush/Rush Adventure/Rivals/Rivals2 were using faked physics all over it. Even Sonic Unleashed has some faked physics mechanics (most noticeable in quarterpipes).

4. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim

I like mkamex's needlemouse better. It's more true to the title.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Regarding the whole issue with this being a good or bad game... I don't really see how this game sucking—a trend that has been repeating for more or less the past 7 or 8 years at this point—should affect your ability to appreciate and enjoy the classics—as well as this community and its exploits—just as much as you always have. I think most of us have largely given up hope for the kind of quality release we've always considered ideal out of a Sonic game for years upon years, but we're all still here talking about what was great about Sonic and bringing our own ideas to fruition.

As SEGA's Sonic grows weaker, ours grows continuously stronger. No matter the turnout, we don't lose. Food for thought. :)

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    <!--quoteo(post=350018:date=Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350018">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the whole issue with this being a good or bad game... I don't really see how this game sucking—a trend that has been repeating for more or less the past 7 or 8 years at this point—should affect your ability to appreciate and enjoy the classics—as well as this community and its exploits—just as much as you always have. I think most of us have largely given up hope for the kind of quality release we've always considered ideal out of a Sonic game for years upon years, but we're all still here talking about what was great about Sonic and bringing our own ideas to fruition.

As SEGA's Sonic grows weaker, ours grows continuously stronger. No matter the turnout, we don't lose. Food for thought. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But do remember the games released in those past 8 years that don't suck.

Can't think of any? Great. That's your opinion. Remember, Sega isn't trying to get us; it's trying to get a new audience, with different expectations. Recent Sonic games have been getting a lot of love from a wide audience.

And remember, Sega has always been trying to play the 2D card. Look at how many 2D games have been released the past eight years; I count at least six, corresponding to six 3D releases (not counting the Olympics promos). While opinion has been split on the matter, these 2D games are still loved, even by many members of this community.

So no matter what Sonic you like, there will always be a bright future for the blue blur.

7. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Well, what the release of this brand new game will turn out to be, will not affect my affection and prefference for the classics by any means, since these I'll hold dear for the very last day of my life, as they were part of my childhood, part of said life itself. But what concerns me is what the new fans will think of the game. This will most likely decide, more ten years after, if new persons that have never seem a Sonic game in their lives, will have the interest in picking any of the classic ones, and playing them (even if in an emulator), to see what Sonic was about.

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    <!--quoteo(post=350022:date=Sep 12 2009, 12:51 AM:name=Andlabs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andlabs @ Sep 12 2009, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350022">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But do remember the games released in those past 8 years that don't suck.

Can't think of any? Great. That's your opinion. Remember, Sega isn't trying to get us; it's trying to get a new audience, with different expectations. Recent Sonic games have been getting a lot of love from a wide audience.

And remember, Sega has always been trying to play the 2D card. Look at how many 2D games have been released the past eight years; I count at least six, corresponding to six 3D releases (not counting the Olympics promos). While opinion has been split on the matter, these 2D games are still loved, even by many members of this community.

So no matter what Sonic you like, there will always be a bright future for the blue blur.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Finally somebody I can agree with here, it's about fucking time. :psyduck:
    But even so, whether this game blows or not (from my standard, anyhow, which is not very high to begin with ) - why would it affect my liking of the franchise, anyhow? O.o

9. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=350018:date=Sep 11 2009, 11:46 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Sep 11 2009, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350018">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the whole issue with this being a good or bad game... I don't really see how this game sucking—a trend that has been repeating for more or less the past 7 or 8 years at this point—should affect your ability to appreciate and enjoy the classics—as well as this community and its exploits—just as much as you always have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I'm not sure how the success/failure of Sonic HD (personal working title, sorry) would make me no longer want to play the classic games of the 90s, or the, ahem, other games either.

10. Machenstein

Machenstein

I got to be honest, it was the Advance games that got me back into Sonic when I played them around 6 years ago. I was not as meticulous about 2D Sonic as I am now, but that incarnation of Sonic has been the one I have followed throughout this decade. I wasn't too big on Sonic Advance 3, but I still play Sonic Rush Adventure from time to time. That's why the 3D games don't devastate me as much as they do some people.

And even when Dimps' games fail to deliver the classic Sonic experience, I can always count on the fan games. I can't get enough of Sonic Nexus, and that's only the three-level demo.

11. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=349977:date=Sep 11 2009, 02:30 PM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Sep 11 2009, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349977">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bet every last one of you have said this for the past five games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well, I've never truly taken Sonic games that seriously since Sonic Adventure 2 -- until now that is.

<!--quoteo(post=349982:date=Sep 11 2009, 02:37 PM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Sep 11 2009, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349982">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was Iizuka credited for anything before Sonic 3 (with Sega or otherwise) or did Sega just hire him and make him a designer with Sonic Team as his first assignment?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13427&view=findpost&p=265419" target="_blank">Someone here</a> said that he worked on object placement in Sonic 2 (which would support Sik's point), and that piece of info can be <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%2816-bit%29&curid=2515&diff=96269&oldid=96224" target="_blank">found here on the Wiki</a>.

<!--quoteo(post=350002:date=Sep 11 2009, 03:09 PM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ Sep 11 2009, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350002">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless they have already been working on this for a long time, I think any time before winter 2010 is too soon. If this is really going to turn sonic around, they need to take time on this.

I would rather them release it in a few years and give us a good game than releasing it quick with a bad game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'd rather they pull a Square Enix and take a few years to make the game.

<!--quoteo(post=350018:date=Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350018">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the whole issue with this being a good or bad game... I don't really see how this game sucking—a trend that has been repeating for more or less the past 7 or 8 years at this point—should affect your ability to appreciate and enjoy the classics—as well as this community and its exploits—just as much as you always have. I think most of us have largely given up hope for the kind of quality release we've always considered ideal out of a Sonic game for years upon years, but we're all still here talking about what was great about Sonic and bringing our own ideas to fruition.

As SEGA's Sonic grows weaker, ours grows continuously stronger. No matter the turnout, we don't lose. Food for thought. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I still love Sonic today for his past games from the Genesis, Saturn, & Dreamcast eras, and a select handful of Sonic titles from this generation and the last. It's just pitiful that it seems like the last few years weren't his brightest at all (Shadow was kinda strictly mediocre; the pre-DS portable titles were boring for me, never played the DS titles either; and I've never played 2006 or S1 GBA, don't think I'd want to unless they were given to me for free at the very, very least). However, I've played Sonic and the Secret of the Rings and I've felt that Sega did a pretty good job with that. I've never played the recent SBK or even Unleashed aside from the Xbox 360 demo which actually impressed me a bit.

<!--quoteo(post=350022:date=Sep 11 2009, 03:51 PM:name=Andlabs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andlabs @ Sep 11 2009, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350022">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So no matter what Sonic you like, there will always be a bright future for the blue blur.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Or you know, maybe I'm just being a Debbie Downer and I'm preparing myself too much for the worst. Maybe this will turn out to be a great Sonic game like the originals. Like Tweaker said, what do WE have to lose? We can still have fun with older titles. =)

12. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    <!--quoteo(post=349744:date=Sep 11 2009, 05:06 PM:name=Sonic Warrior TJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonic Warrior TJ @ Sep 11 2009, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349744">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I want the Insta-Shield back. Give me multiple shields, and if you want to implement the Homing Attack, throw in a Gold Shield. IF, mind you, it isn't all too important.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.

I found the homing attack in the 2D games (Hacks and rush/rush adventure) to be quite fun and unique to use in instances, however it was still over powered and easily spammed.

Though, as a shield, it could be a handy, limited power up designed for specific occasions within levels and not abused. It could even lead to new paths (however, please no more strings of hovering, immobile enemies that you uninterestingly home attack across... >.>).

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Someone here said that he worked on object placement in Sonic 2 (which would support Sik's point), and that piece of info can be found here on the Wiki.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No source?

I also recall him saying in an interview that Sonic 3 was the first one he worked on. He said that his favorite was still Sonic 2, which I found to by funny. Not even he likes his own stuff very much :v:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bet every last one of you have said this for the past five games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Before Unleashed I hadn't paid attention to Sonic in years. I thought Unleashed was going to be a make or break kind of thing, until closer to release, where I realized that the worst case scenario would be Unleashed being just mediocre. If that happened, it would probably have lead to them clumsily trying to fix Unleashed's formula by adding more useless crap for several years. Thankfully, it was rather terrible and had all the useless crap already present so we didn't have to bother waiting that long.

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=350088:date=Sep 11 2009, 07:46 PM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Sep 11 2009, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350088">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteBegin- 'For some reason the URLs were removed from this quote.'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ( 'For some reason the URLs were removed from this quote.')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Someone here said that he worked on object placement in Sonic 2 (which would support Sik's point), and that piece of info can be found here on the Wiki.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No source?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought I gave some proof. :psyduck:
    <!--quoteo(post=350050:date=Sep 11 2009, 04:43 PM:name=Kei)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kei @ Sep 11 2009, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350050">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/User:Kuover" target="_blank">Someone here</a> said that he worked on object placement in Sonic 2 (which would support Sik's point), and that piece of info can be <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%2816-bit%29&curid=2515&diff=96269&oldid=96224" target="_blank">found here on the Wiki</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->May not be real sources, but someone by the name of "Kuover" stated Iizuka worked on Sonic 2 in the Wiki, and <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13427&view=findpost&p=265419" target="_blank">Tweaker took that bit seriously</a>, so I figured it must be legit somehow.

15. <!--quoteo(post=349438:date=Sep 10 2009, 02:01 PM:name=Diablohead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Diablohead @ Sep 10 2009, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349438">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This image always reminds me one of Cygnus Hyoga's attacks (from the anime Saint Seiya - which came before Sonic, BTW):

[​IMG]

Here is a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwCNivalaQ" target="_blank">video of the attack</a> at a time when he was in better shape.

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=350111:date=Sep 12 2009, 01:55 AM:name=Kei)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kei @ Sep 12 2009, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350111">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=350050:date=Sep 11 2009, 04:43 PM:name=Kei)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kei @ Sep 11 2009, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350050">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/User:Kuover" target="_blank">Someone here</a> said that he worked on object placement in Sonic 2 (which would support Sik's point), and that piece of info can be <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%2816-bit%29&curid=2515&diff=96269&oldid=96224" target="_blank">found here on the Wiki</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->May not be real sources, but someone by the name of "Kuover" stated Iizuka worked on Sonic 2 in the Wiki, and <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=13427&view=findpost&p=265419" target="_blank">Tweaker took that bit seriously</a>, so I figured it must be legit somehow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I googled for his name and the only thing I could find about that name in the '90s is Sonic 2 indeed. There are also two DS games credited to that name from 2006 and 2007 (not made by Sega), but considering the gap, it could be as well an entirely different person.

17. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=350018:date=Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350018">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As SEGA's Sonic grows weaker, ours grows continuously stronger. No matter the turnout, we don't lose. Food for thought. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sounds like tripe to me. It's a false corollary. The real reason "our" Sonic grows stronger isn't because SEGA's is garbage, it's because we, that is to say, the aging fanbase, are hitting the critical age where we've started being able to see characters jumping around stages as a series of variables and conditions. It's just that diehard fans are getting more skilled with time. Don't ever kid yourself into thinking we somehow benefit from a game that sounds promising ending up being crap. The only thing that would have changed had the game ended up good was that we would have got to enjoy a good game. If the game is bad, we do lose.

And if there is never another amazing game out of them, then this amazingly creative fanbase as an entity is eventually going to die out completely. Maybe not by the time you and I are in our thirties, but it probably won't be so long that it won't be shocking.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=350135:date=Sep 12 2009, 02:47 AM:name=DimensionWarped)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DimensionWarped @ Sep 12 2009, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350135">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sounds like tripe to me. It's a false corollary. The real reason "our" Sonic grows stronger isn't because SEGA's is garbage, it's because we, that is to say, the aging fanbase, are hitting the critical age where we've started being able to see characters jumping around stages as a series of variables and conditions. It's just that diehard fans are getting more skilled with time. Don't ever kid yourself into thinking we somehow benefit from a game that sounds promising ending up being crap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, I wasn't implying that at all. I wasn't saying that "our" Sonic grows stronger because SEGA's grows weaker; I was saying that while SEGA's may get worse, ours is only getting better as we continue to analyze and pinpoint exactly what made the original games so great and replicate that ourselves to produce an ever-growing repository of Sonic games that we actually like, completely destroying any and all reason to abandon fondness for the series just because SEGA is unable to make the character reclaim his former glory.

Basically, I'm not necessarily saying we benefit from their failure, but it certainly doesn't bring us down at all.

19. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I'm agreeing with Tweaker here.
    Also, I smiled at "Project Needlemouse" =P

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was saying that while SEGA's may get worse, ours is only getting better as we continue to analyze and pinpoint exactly what made the original games so great and replicate that ourselves to produce an ever-growing repository of Sonic games that we actually like, completely destroying any and all reason to abandon fondness for the series just because SEGA is unable to make the character reclaim his former glory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know what community you're seeing but the one I see produce the same level of quality of shit.

If the new games fail to generate new interest, the audience will eventually move on to something else. Sure, they'll remember the old games fondly, but just how long can you go on talking about Sonic 2 and how great it was for 20 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.