don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It depends. If the game is in HD, they might not want to port it to the Wii simply because it won't look as good.

Stupid reason, I know, but that sort of thing has been known to happen, with many companies.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

Say that to my face, not online, and see what happens.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Eh. If It's DLC then that means it has a low budget. That's disappointing... unless by that they mean no expensive 3d or cg or any of that. Just classic Sonic with 3-5 hour play time. In that case I hope it really is a classic Sonic Megadrive style platformer with beautiful HD graphics that are true to the old surreal classic Sonic graphic style.

4. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Good move for Sega. No need to make a short 2 hour title distributable in CD format.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I don't get why some people would refuse to even try is if it's DLC. Yeah, I would prefer a disk release too, but that's not a major selling point for me.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I doubt DLC = low budget = low quality. Toki, Rocket Knight (arguably), Castlevania, and Bionic Commando would like to have a word with you.

8. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Making it a "smaller" project could mean good things.

It could mean they're now less "Okay, let's get some GC cutscenes here and put some story there, and throw some padding here", and more like "Okay, let's make a videogame". "Could", though.

And, you know what? Castlevania ReBirth was only 1-2 hours long, yet it was the best darn game in the series I've played since Rondo in 2007. I played through it 2 times in a single day, and I'm still ready to play it some more. Good, cheap and short games > Sometimes-good, expensive, padding-filled games. I'll take a 1-2 hour Sonic game with gratitude if it's good.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I don't understand all the hate for this being DLC either, this is probably one of the smartest moves SEGA has made in awhile concerning a Sonic game.

Think about it, say they did put this on retail and it bombs, do you honestly think we'll EVER get something like this again? Of course not, the chance of making this DL is perfect for SEGA testing the waters to find a general balance for everyone to enjoy Sonic.

Mega Man 9 is one of the best games I have ever played, and it only took me about an hour or two to complete. It's addicting and easy to pick up and play, no clutter holding it back at all. Castlevania Rebirth is a beautiful celebration of the old school Castlevania games, and it's another testament to why games on such a simple level are much more appreciated in the long run. Most games today that boast all these bells and whistles are a majority of the time just fads, I doubt their appeal will be anything close to timeless.

Making this game low budget and DL pretty much narrows down the focus for SEGA on what they should be doing with this game. I don't see anything terrible coming out of this unless they've completely forgot what made the Genesis games tick back in the day.

If this project is a success, I can definitely see SEGA making another sequel or game like this in the form of DL, and maybe down the line a retail title for all of us to hold onto for the rest of our days.

10. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    You don't need a big budget for a game like this regardless of whether or not it has one, and this way we avoid the higher retail price tags.

The only thing disappointing me is the lack of a physical box, which I recognize as a terribly minor thing, especially considering art is usually drummed up for the online marketplaces anyway.

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Now I have another reason to get one of the next-gen consoles. First it was MM 10, now Needlemouse. Damnit I really need a job, and or convince everyone I know to save up so they can get me a PS3 for my 20th birthday this year. >.>

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You forgot Wipeout HD, Flower, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man etc. etc.

13. What Chimpo and OSM said.

If it's DLC, it actually brings my hopes up that they'll take a "ReBirth" approach to this game, and for the first time since Sonic Advance 1 we'd have a game that -TRULY- feels like the Genesis titles again. Instead of them spending big budget on the CG art and making a crappy Gun-toting Werehog Engine as an afterthought.

(In other words, if they pull a bait-and-switch this time, THEN there'll be hell to pay.)

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Well, this blows, mainly 'cuz I'm not likely to get those Wii Point Cards as a gift.

I hope there'll at least be a decent story. I also realize that I'm the only one giving a shit about that, so what.

15. OOOOOO.

Seems like they are taking the Mega Man path.

Making quick fun games for portables and downloads.

Kudos to those who know what I am referencing.

16. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    Damn it, now even if this game comes out for the wii, I won't be able to get it unless I can get better interwebz between now and the game's release (chances of that happening are abysmal to none )

Screw you too, Sega :argh:

17. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Downloadable? I'm game. Being the lazy fuck I am, I love having not to get up to buy/insert a game. :v:

And who knows where we'll see this game ending up on. Wii? PS3? X360? DSi? PSP? Steam?

But hell, as of now, I just want to see some damn screenshots.

18. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    No, yes, yes, definitely no, no, and maybe.

It's already been confirmed that this game will be in HD, so we can already infer that the Wii is not in the cards for SEGA. As for Steam, I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, or at least I haven't heard it brought up before. The computers being released nowadays are capable of producing HD-quality graphics, so we could see Sonic on the PC-- not to mention Sega's ported games like Sonic Heroes and Sonic Riders to the PC before, and some of their Genesis games are available on the PlaySega website, making an online-PC option like Steam all the more plausible.

We also know there are gamers who are sore over the DLC-only route due to not owning a 360 or a PS3, so Sega could be keeping that in mind, and might be considering a port for Steam, since most of these gamers own an Internet-connected computer.

In fact, I hadn't considered this before, and this might seem unlikely, but might we also see this game planned as a downloadable title through OnLive? Though I'm sure not enough people will have purchased OnLive for Sega to consider releasing it there, this is also possible.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I have to agree with that in all seriousness. Many a time I've downloaded PC games I already own on disc just so that I don't have to bother with discs.

Really though, DL only does disappoint me. It's just the whole idea of having a physical copy. Disappoints, but doesn't bother.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    The fact that its DLC really kills my chances of actually being able to play the game myself when it does come out.

On the other hand, as mentioned previously, this IS a great opportunity for Sega to test the waters and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.