don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As long as we don't have something on the level of Rouge impersonating Howard Dean (try getting her dizzy in Heroes), the voice acting is passable. For a game like this, I'd prefer it not exist at all, of course.

2. I'm not sure what all the excitement is all about.

For all we know, It is a likely chance that it could be another "Press boost to win" game, which is like 85%, Or it could be a remastered Sonic 1 with brand new levels, adequate Platforming, and a more classic design to Mr. Needlemouse himself, which is the remaining 15% chance.

Sega is merely competing with Nintendo's New Super Mario Brothers Wii. Basically all they're saying is "Hey! If Nintendo is making a remastered version of their first game, Why shouldn't we do it too?"

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

What part of "All New" and "From Scratch" don't you get?

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Don't forget "Built from the ground up"! :thumbsup:

However, I do fear what Tatsujin U. mentioned for the "85% chance" bit. I agree that it is probably very likely that they will take that route. (I'd personally put it at 75%, but that's just me.)

All I want from SEGA is a screenshot or two and a paragraph describing what direction this game is taking. After that, I know what I'll need to know, and I will then give them all the time they want to take their time releasing info; it will quintessentially decide how much I care about this game.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Speaking of voice acting, there doesn't need to be any in this game at all. I just played Sonic 06 earlier and couldn't stand it.

6. Well, When I heard Sonic Unleashed is to be going back to 2-D ways I was excited but, then came the werehog.

Anyways, I'm not saying I don't believe in Sonic Team anymore or, that I'm not excited for this but, what Mykonos said, until there's proof neither of us can tell if what they're saying is true or not.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Personally I feel sonic unleashed's 2d play was not very well programmed. where was the classic sonic physics?
    for me the physics in gameplay are a big part of what made sonic in the first place not just speed alone.
    hopefully the new game addresses this.

8. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    To switch between 2 physics styles during the short space of time that usually occurs when the transition from 3D to 2D and back again would be disorientating for the player if they weren't given more warning than unleashed did (with the exception of Holoska's beginning 2D bit). And also I'd imagine programming 2 sets of physics to be swapped almost simultaneously would be hard on the processor.

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Yeah, that right there is a load of shit. You do realize that the game had you switching between Sonic and Stretch Armstrong on the last level frequently don't you?

Besides, everyone realizes that switching physics on the fly is a simple matter of switching which routines are in use. It's no more trying on the processor than a single conditional statement.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Switching between 2 sets of physics is not hard on the CPU at all. Just point the code to the next flag.
    I've worked with a quite a few game engines in the past and never herd or seen anything like that effecting the game's performance.

Sonic unleashed looks pretty shotily programed along with the rest of the 3D sonic games when it comes to physics.
    Rush jobs if u ask me. Sonic = sega's cash cow afterall. The Sonic name seems to be selling games more than the gameplay these days,
    I feel early sonic games used a kind of physics formula not necessarily a physics engine seen in most of todays games.
    and they pulled off the effect quite nicely.

also ,,,,I don't think it would be at all disorientating, sonic would just have better physics for loops and slopes is all.
    not the stiff shitty physics he has now, if u can even call them that.

The loose roller coaster feeling is totally gone from the newer sonic games.
    Me and my friend Xeniczone have been working on a sonic project the past 2 years, to bring back the true sonic feel into a 3D world.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    They're not guilty of it. They'll only be guilty of it if they give a poor performance. The 4kids crew did a good job with their performances. They just had a shitty script to work with which is nothing new when it comes to Sonic Team's writers.

They were always better than the original crew.

Writing was still shit.

12. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Sonic Underground.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nah. Knuckles sounded like an absolute wimp in Underground. In 3/K he behaved like a cheeky child.

14. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Fixed that up for you, friend.

So, on Unleashed physics; I'd much prefer if they used classic physics for the entire game, and not just during 2D sections.

However, the shoe upgrades in unleashed made me have an epiphany; I'd really like a 3D Sonic game to play somewhat like Legend of Zelda/ Okami, a big open world with "Dungeons" as a sort of puzzle-and-obstacle course, with upgrades akin to those games. Such as, Sonic normally sinks, but he can equip some sort of Water-striding boots to preform an opposite function to the Iron Boots from LoZ. Of course, that's just me.

On the subject of voice acting; I must admit, the 4kids voices are quite well done in Unleashed, however some voices just sound a bit off. Amy's for instance, sounds just a bit too squeaky at times. Professor Pickle, however, is pure win.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    A game built off the 2D sections of Unleashed would fucking bomb worse than Sonic '06 did. But if they did that they'd be contradicting their claims of building the game from scratch, so that's a relief.

16. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I liked Sonic Unleashed's script. It was no Pulitzer prize, nor would I expect one from a videogame franchise, but it was at least simple and with no bullshit.

17. spleenharvester

spleenharvester

Planning to start modding S3 sometime soon.
    Huh, sweet. Let's just hope that, for their sake as well as ours, it's not a complete screw-up.

No screenshots yet though - too early to make assumptions.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yet nearly every possible assumption has been made...

19. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    They could just revamp the physics to be more like Sonic Rush and get some decent level design and I think people would eat it up.

I don't think anyone would care if it was a game like Sonic Rush Adventure, but without the boating segments.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    The only real problems with it are the physics and how you can't turn around in the air. Well, those, and the whole sliding + boosting vs rolling + spindash abilities, which could easily be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.