don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I wouldn't call spindash unecessary. Claim it breaks the game all you want, but after you've beaten the main game once or twice, a person with quick fingers and manual dexterity should be able to have fun breaking things and speedrunning that way. Also, consulting the original team should be fine, as long as naka isn't the only person referenced and they actually talk to yasuhara and oshima as well.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You took out Spindash but kept in pointless 10 minute timers and Containment pods?

3. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    The problem with spin dash as of recent was that you get insta-speed NO effort, no loss of momentum, no need to even charge. I think it would be an improvement if the spin attack returned (ala Tails & Knucles in SA) and you had to stop or at least slow down in some way to spindash.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Soooo, Sonic CD styled?

5. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    No Tails, but Knuckles? Ouch

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    What, why would you make it worse? Just make it like Sonic 2 wher eyou had to come to a complete stop if you wanted your quick burst.

You could just spam the mother fucker in the new games without charge time or stopping.

10 Minute Timer affected your score. Also, who the hell spends 10 minutes in a level?

Ant I was already stretching it with getting rid of Tails. He should be wiped from the series.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I happen to like levels having the title cards, it's something that not a lot of games do. The classic choir Sega sound is also a lot better than the one they're using now.

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Taking out Tails? Are you fucking insane? Thats like taking Robin away from Batm....wait fuck...

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    It's not something that affects the game in a massive impact. You can do without them or with them, your game isn't going to suck any less.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    They're nice little touches that make a good game more enjoyable. If we're not going to assume that it's a good game for this discussion, there's no point in having it.

11. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Yeah, but a nice new amazing sounding "SEEEEGAAAAAA!!!" would really say "This is it.. Sonic's Back!!"
    Like that one from Metropolis Street Racer.

.. Go on then, I'll be picky about the piccy, too.

Tails should be in. The different dynamics of Grounded, Flying, Climbing is what S,T,K was about. Keep them there, but let each player have a complete game by themselves without resorting to silly crappy Heroes shit.

Level Titles should be in, they say Sonic, just as much as "SEEEEGAAAAAA!!"

Spikes, only under two conditions. 1. No sky-based drops to death. 2. Spikes aren't overused, completely littering the floor, and used as a replacement to death-plummeting.

Special Stages, only if they use a fucking ounce of originality, and not just bloody well replicate the same fucking Sonic 2 special stage for the 50-millionth time.

Remake Scrapped Levels would be purely for us lot, and would cause us to grin like munkys. I don't see why they shouldn't.

Spindash really should stay, but perhaps it oughta be something you earn, rather than something that's there to start with. Remember how each Sonic game increased his abilities? What if they actually did that in the game? Start off with Sonic 1 style, and by the time you're done, you're playing like it's Sonic 3&K.

And as for Leaderboards, it'd be nice if we could play 2-player, Split-Screen with people in the same room. And maybe add some tournament style stuff in there, too!
    .. And don't fucking lock it all down, so we need to play the single player mode 18,000 times before we can!!

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    There are a lot of things on that wish list that aren't actually necessary to the enjoyment of a Sonic game, but if we're talking 2D, the spindash (or equivalent) is a must.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing a finished Hidden Palace Zone, among others. Perhaps as a nod to the fans like us who are interested in that section of Sonic.

14. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    That picture itself is unnecesary shit.
    Would someone explain me what's so awesome about Super Sonic in normal stages, if we're at it?

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Sonic 1 got along fine with it.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it was more of the fact that I got something out of doing the stupid special stages other than some flowers in the ending and an angry Robotnik.

A motivation to actually complete them of sorts.

Because they'll make a game based on old dead ideas rather than new ones? How about that?

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Yes and I'm sure Kirby's Dreamland 1 was "fine" with Kirby's ultra-limited moveset, too, but that didn't stop every Kirby game since then from adopting the "Kirby can eat enemies and gain their power" mechanic from KDL2.

Just because the first game got along fine missing massive, essential improvements from the later games does not mean the first game in the series was better or "correct" for it. Sonic Team themselves, before they received a frontal-lobe lobotomy, even added the spindash to Sonic 1 for Sonic Jam.

Just because Mega Man 9 said "You know what? We're taking away Mega Man's charged shot and even his slide" does not mean the same logic applies to all new-age-retro games (especially considering the Proto Man DLC re-added all of that stuff back in, and will be available by default in Mega Man 10).

Take Bionic Commando: Re-armed, for instance, which basically trimmed off all the stuff that made the NES game annoying, kept everything that was already awesome, and added a bunch of cool new stuff to replace what they removed.

The spindash does not fall into any such category.

Now, the Instashield? I could do without that. I wouldn't even really throw a fit if they removed elemental shields. But removing the spindash? Nuh-uh, no way. Get right out of town. Even if it's not called the spindash, something that retains identical functionality is a requirement for any Sonic game - especially one signifying "a return to classic side-scrolling roots".

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  18. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I lol'd. =P
    How many things from here end up on sites like this?

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Sonic, Super-Sonic, Robotnik (at end of each stage), Badniks.
    Primary focus on platforming, Occasional Speed, Spindash, 10 minutes.
    Special Stages, Chaos Emeralds, Monitor, Spikes.

Addendum: No endless pits, Colourful stages, No/little Story.

+ - (seriously, remaking scrapped stages? The fuck?)  

20. Machenstein

Machenstein

OMG WE HAVE NEWS!!!

... and the news is we will have to wait until next year to see some actual news.

?_?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.