don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

Would someone post a youtube video showing off the demo? I can't play it on my computer.

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

It's just a grass shader, not really anything special. The picture shows off everything about it.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Ah okay. I thought it was a game demo for some reason.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Try rotating the camera with the mouse( drag the mouse to the left), also arrow keys move the level around,
    Its quite lazily tossed together, therefore the grass isn't visible right off the bat.
    Was never meant as a presentation piece >__< sorry guys.

Also its not a shader, actual geometry is used for the grass. a shader ( which will be used later) is more performance friendly than the geometry method.
    just wanted to see if we could get the grass to work as a proof of concept.

Next demo will be our fisheye engine,

5. Tidbit

Tidbit

Im a tad confused about what this topic is actually about. I see alot of interesting pictures of sonic levels with a 3d twist. And then I hit page 2 and see abunch random info about sonic extreme and a level editor then a grass shader. >_< so please tell me whats going on here.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member

Hnmm yeah,,,,, I guess that I should probably redo the intro topic a bit,
    Our engine is actually A multi purpous game engine which alows a few styles of sonic games to be built.
    Sonic Xtreme PC sonic Xtreme Saturn, Sonic classic 2.5D

As for the grass post,,,its single component of the engine, I thought it was cool, so I shared it.

Edit: First topic reworked.

7. (All image links of first post give me 404 errors)

Grass of demo is nice, but I get pretty low fps there -my PC runs most games flawlessly.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey What are the specs for the system your on? and reported FPS?
    ya I know the grass runs pretty slow on some computers.
    we will be using a shader instead of geometry, later on, just wanted to get a general idea of what it would look like.

Thx for letting me know about the 404 errors, maybe imagshack has some problems ??
    I'll wait awhile to see what happens before re-uploading them.

9. You're welcome.

Looking at black background: around 65 FPS.
    Looking at grass: around 35 FPS.

My specs: WinXP, Core2Duo 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 8600M GT (256MB).

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The problem is that there is a wordfilter on this forum, so the lowercase I always gets turned to an uppercase I, therefore breaking all your image URLs which contain an I in the path.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hnmm,,, thats not good, we will have to do a real grass shader (since this one was made with geometry and lots of huge texture maps and the poly-count its pretty up there,
    It also uses transparencies on each level of geometry,,,which really eats away at performance. not to mention its made with Game maker.
    Most everyone we gave the test to get an average of between 150 and 300 FPS.
    I get a steady 999 fps over here, facing at the grass.^__^

Thanks...

12. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Not that it means much, but I get a nice 16 FPS when staring at the grass (30 or thereabouts when staring off at the void)

Relevant PC Specs:
    Processor : 2x Intel&reg; Pentium&reg; Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz
    Memory : 3105MB (1234MB used)
    Operating System : Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid
    OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel&reg; 965GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2

Oh yeah, I was running the demo under WINE on linux. Overall, I was impressed that it ran at all - generally things I get off the internet don't run very well under WINE.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Started on Palm tree panic zone a few days ago.,
    While molding out the level's detail into 3D,,,,The 2D shapes that make up Palmtree panic are very awkward and don't quite make since when thinking about it as being 3D.
    Probably the most challenging of any sonic zone I've encountered so far.
    It is very difficult trying to keep all the contours for the walls, and retaining proper lighting lighting and shadowing the same between 3D and 2D views.
    I've experimented around with it and it seems it is feasible,
    although the final 3D result may look a bit out of place.

(WIP)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By tuxmask75 at 2010-03-03

14. Xeniczone

Xeniczone

Your graphic card could use a kick start. I would invest in a Geforce 9600 or something similar. They are about 60 dollars and will really help your performance.

WINE on linux must be more advance then WINE on OS X. I have to load windows up in order to program or play the game.

15. How many of the classic Sonic games do you plan on remaking in 3D by the way? Just Sonic CD or both that and the whole original trilogy? Also, perhaps Knuckles Chaotix?

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    hopefully all of them, but before that happens ,,
    when we get a nice editor and engine ready enough.
    than we may release that for people who want to do there own levels and mods,

17. Hmm, this seems like a good idea. I'd love a custom level editor! Keep it up!

18. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    I'd love to upgrade my graphics card. Unfortunately, I'm using a laptop. Which means that my graphics card capabilities are maxed out at a level I like to call "piece of shit". Perhaps one day I'll get myself a desktop computer and not have to worry about this. Oh well.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Update to the Dev Diary,,, :)
    I know this Ugly mess is not worth posting about,, but what the heck,,

The following pics = the Proof of concept, tech demo.
    Which demonstrate real-time specular highlights, with specular Bloom, as well as real-time shadows)
    The Level chunk (model) is repeated well over 800 times without a hit to the frame rate, (Man! You gata love the power C4 game engine offers)
    Frame rate is capped off at a steady 60 FPS, at least on my rig..
    Will have to upload some kind of benchmark Demo for you guys to measure performance, and report back.

Notes:
    Model is very early and has not been properly UV Mapped yet, thus the starching.
    Also the textures are only temporary, Notice the triangle pattern is not actually that found in Palm tree panic.
    Palm tree panic's geometry isn't easy to model, lots of odd shapes and contours to work with,
    This may take awhile >__<

[​IMG]
    By tuxmask75 at 2010-03-18

[​IMG]
    By tuxmask75 at 2010-03-18

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    An Updated model running in C4.... Cut back on alot of the extruded surface details.
    Many more tweaks are in store for the model geometry,
    So please, don't take this as the final result, especially for the textures since they have not been started yet. there is just so many ideas bursting,,,,
    what do you guys think of the flattened out topography VS the above screens?

(still using the same temporary texture place holder, only frontal UV has been laid out correctly,)
    Intended Graphical work-flow as follows,,,
    Main level Geometry,
    Grass and props,
    UV Map unwrap,
    Background model,
    Texture Creation,
    Shader creation,
    Lighting setup.
    There probably wont be any more screens till there is something worth posting.

Reference that was used to model
    [​IMG]

The 2 following screens showcase an Experimental process I'm working on using shaders,
    The process will allow realtime aging of the textures, (Part of the time travel engine)
    This will of course be taken much further, with Morphing level geometry, crumbling bricks, vines that grow, ect ect,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]