don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hmmmm,,,,, when we have something ready enough in unreal 4 build of the engine

2. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip
    No rush was just wondering

3. Arcaden

Arcaden

Sonic AMV: Boss - Big Arms
    Hi Andrew! I've been following your project for a couple of years and I just want to say that you've done a great job. Glad to see you're still working on it! I wasn't around to have heard of Sonic Xtreme while it was being developed only to be disappointed to hear of its cancellation, however I first heard about Project AXSX when I was maybe 9 or 10, so seeing this game finally come out would still be amazing!

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thx man !

As a treat here's a screen from the now abandoned udk build. The level is named Run25 that was recreated from the original beta/alpha data found in RSRC20 folder. (The red and green lines were used for debugging purposes in udk.

Of course the same level is already in Unreal 4 and looks the same except the lighting has been updated, and the Space background curvature is handled with a different shader method closer resembling the original game.
    [​IMG]

5. Don't wanna be the guy that says 'so when's the next demo' but I'm gonna say it anyway :v:

really wanna play this

6. It's up to me mainly, since Andrew doesn't want to release anything that uses the old UDK engine, and he's waiting for me.

Progress is VERY slow, so it may easily take several months to have a playable polished experience that meets Andrew's ultra-complex requirements, so don't hold your breath people.

Haha, it would help me if you convince Andrew to use/create 3D models for Sonic and enemies, instead of sprites that need to weirdly react to both the camera position and fisheye effect.

7. Amnimator

Amnimator

I know you meant that last part somewhat jokingly, but I always felt AXSX would be so much better if it didn't value the whole Sonic Xtreme preservation thing as much. Custom 3D art with shaders mimicking the original models would be amazing along with more fleshed out environments, and in my opinion more valuable than salvaging what's left of Xtreme. But that's just me.

8. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Ew, no

The whole point of AXSX is that it's a skillfully executed, accurate recreation of what Xtreme could have been. Other fangames can take Xtreme and remix it all they want, but I value the commitment to authenticity here.

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    This project is for authenticity, and I wouldn't like it the other way, but I'd really like a further project that evolves from this with more up-to-date graphics and that kind of stuff. I don't know how enjoyable can be the x-treme gameplay, but it's different enough to be the seed of many interesting fan game ideas and not just the one recreating the Saturn game we never had.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Who knows , maybe we could slip in a model mode replacing sprites , but yeah that would really set things back on my end. This November I'll be free to work on the project 100 % of the time for many months. In that time I was planning to get some actual AXSX mode levels done. Not just the levels from the original scrapped game which are 100% done minus gameplay elements in unreal 4 build.

11. Amnimator

Amnimator

Don't break your back trying to please everyone, just focus on the one thing this game sets out to do. I just feel that much of Sonic Xtreme and what it was going to be is up for interpretation, if I'm not mistaken the developers even said as much. The Sonic Xtreme preservation part is great, but I'm just saying in a general sense that liberties should be taken. I'd be fine just to see more custom levels, rather than restored incomplete tech stages. I'm just more interested in seeing "what Xtreme could have been" rather than "what Xtreme would have been".

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    As far as I'm aware, it's always been Andrew75's plan to include a mode where you can play/explore the preserved levels from the original 1996 project, and a mode with all-new levels designed with the AXSX engine in mind. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Andrew...!

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yes that's correct !

Off topic , I've just finished cleaning the yard after hurricane Irma. Tree branches everywhere, and took down the boards from the windows . Gata go fast ! Lickily we live inland so no flooding. I've been so busy with so many things lately , can't wait for November ! Freedom awaits !

14. Well, no worries you guys take your time. Better to have the original vision rather than a compromise. Good luck

15. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

You got it Andrew! :specialed: glad to hear your safe

16. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

Think i just found some brand new Sonic 32x/Mars/Xtreme footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYgIgRmm4M&feature=youtu.be

Already PMd RDPH Games for more info
    Description off original video -Sega Technical Institute logo animation 3d Logo animation I did for Sonic Xtreme. I think I based the mesh on the version I created for Comix Zone.
    -Sonic Xtreme 32x concept title
    video Rough test of a possible title animation for Sonic Xtreme, very early in the process as we were still targeting the 32X and not the Saturn.
    -Run Sonic Run
    Rough concept animation I created in a few hours the night before execs from Sega of Japan were coming into the office. Done in Autodesk 3DS4.
    -Sonic Platforms
    Another quick and dirty internal concept video done during the early stages of Sonic Xtreme.
    -Sonic pipe
    demo Mock up of an early potential bonus round in Sonic Xtreme.
    -Muybridge
    Sonic Fun little animation I created using the Sonic Xtreme runcycle, done in the style of Eadweard Muybridge.
    -Sonic runcycle Early runcycle for Sonic Xtreme model. Later versions made Sonic more shiny to match the original 2d sprites of the Genesis games.
    -FDOME
    Animation of one of the enemies in Sonic Xtreme
    -TRIDRILL
    Animation of one of the enemies in Sonic Xtreme

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Wow I hope no one scares him away , I'd really like to speak with him !

18. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

He just uploaded some more!
    Tails
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOuds3qH9Q
    Sonic Jump
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdly655GOho
    and some more

19. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

Even one of amy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeyP7mUHlZY

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    yeah hes adding lots of videos on the fly, man this is better than sage ! But I should be in bed right now I'm dying of exhaustion here!
    I couldn't even play any sage games yet or finish mania ! but I cant resist seeing new xtreme content !