don't click here

Processes "interrupts" and "kworker" taking up CPU

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RamiroR, Oct 8, 2013.

1. RamiroR

RamiroR

Hi everyone!
    Lately I've been having weird problems with my laptop. After some time of booting it up and using it normally, it will start to get really hot. And I found out that this process on Windows called "Interrupts" is taking up all the cpu of one of the core, that in total takes up 25% of the CPU.
    So I started researching to find out what exactly could be causing it, and used LatencyMon to pinpoint the problem. This is the output I got:
    Code (Text):
    2. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    3. CONCLUSION
    4. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    5. Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    6. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:00:39  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.
    9. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    10. SYSTEM INFORMATION
    11. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    12. Computer name:                                        AK53S-PC
    13. OS version:                                           Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
    14. Hardware:                                             K53SC, ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    15. CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz
    16. Logical processors:                                   4
    17. Processor groups:                                     1
    18. RAM:                                                  4006 MB total
    21. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    22. CPU SPEED
    23. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    24. Reported CPU speed:                                   2394,0 MHz
    25. Measured CPU speed:                                   1836,0 MHz (approx.)
    27. Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
    30. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    31. MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    32. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    33. The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
    35. Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   9956,788632
    36. Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   7,734608
    38. Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       351,079001
    39. Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       5,093296
    42. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    43. MEASURED SMI, IPI AND CPU STALLS
    44. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    45. The SMI, IPI and CPU stalls value represents the highest measured interval that a CPU did not respond while having its maskable interrupts disabled.
    47. Highest measured SMI or CPU stall (µs)                7,697225
    50. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    51.  REPORTED ISRs
    52. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    53. Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
    55. Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              37,660401
    56. Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation
    58. Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          5,356438
    59. Driver with highest ISR total time:                   ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation
    61. Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          5,449347
    63. ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   950406
    64. ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    65. ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    66. ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    67. ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    68. ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0
    71. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    72. REPORTED DPCs
    73. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    74. DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
    76. Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              362,438596
    77. Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation
    79. Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          13,653239
    80. Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation
    82. Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          18,819671
    84. DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2925818
    85. DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    86. DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                4
    87. DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    88. DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    89. DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0
    92. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    93.  REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    94. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    95. Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
    97. NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
    99. Process with highest pagefault count:                 msmpeng.exe
    101. Total number of hard pagefaults                       283
    102. Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          247
    103. Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          2003431,340852
    104. Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              9,442092
    105. Number of processes hit:                              3
    108. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    109.  PER CPU DATA
    110. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    111. CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       30,846349
    112. CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                37,660401
    113. CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   8,667514
    114. CPU 0 ISR count:                                      950406
    115. CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                362,438596
    116. CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   25,003745
    117. CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2411970
    118. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    119. CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,197669
    120. CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    121. CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    122. CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
    123. CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                166,616541
    124. CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   2,089403
    125. CPU 1 DPC count:                                      214635
    126. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    127. CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,731817
    128. CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    129. CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    130. CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
    131. CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                136,291980
    132. CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   2,581994
    133. CPU 2 DPC count:                                      271843
    134. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    135. CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0,344908
    136. CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    137. CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    138. CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    139. CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                158,488722
    140. CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,258673
    141. CPU 3 DPC count:                                      27374
    142. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    At first I tried disabling the battery controller and that used to work (or probably it didn't but I thought it did) but that is just not doing the trick anymore. Same with the wireless card, whose drivers I updated to the latest version. Now the really funny thing, is that there is also a process doing the same on Linux, the "kworker" process, I didn't do much research being on Linux though. So this made me think that the problem itself is not software related as I first thought.. could this be the case or just mere coincidence? Oh and I even tried updating the BIOS which also didn't work.
    This has been driving me nuts for the last months. I seriously don't know what to do anymore and it's really annoying because when it does that, I can even hear audio glitches and the cooling fans are really loud and it's all just plain annoying. So yeah thats it. I would thank you guys so much if you could help me figure this one out.

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    General overheat condition + thermal events signaled by ACPI.

3. RamiroR

RamiroR

So you're saying my laptop is getting hot.. and because it's getting hot, it'll try to get even hotter? I am not being sarcastic by the way I genuinely don't get this.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Did you try cleaning it and changing the thermal paste?

5. RamiroR

RamiroR

No, because I thought the problem was actually having these processes taking up CPU usage and heating things up.

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    You can see the CPU is not even running at max speed. It is being throttled so it would not disintegrate. When you go turn off SPeedStep it'll get whole lot hotter as the speed is no longer reduced in such a condition :P

7. RamiroR

RamiroR

But this seriously doesn't happen until those processes start taking up CPU usage like crazy. Under normal circumstances, my laptop does not get hot. I can even feel with no problem the airflow coming out of it. But after some (I think) arbitrary time (It really seems to be random), "Interrupts" starting sucking on CPU power and that's when it gets hot because of that. And again, same happens on Linux, except on Linux it's "kworker" who does this. I've discovered that putting it into sleep and turning it back on seems to temporarily fix the problem...

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Just clean it. I can't get my CPU to get over 75°C even on 100% usage.

9. RamiroR

RamiroR

But overheating is not what bothers me.. it doesn't even get that hot anyone. It bothers me that one of my core is at 100% making audio and other stuff slow and glitchy.

10. Sintendo

Sintendo

But that's the point! It's likely not overheating because your CPU is throttling. It's doing that to prevent it from critically overheating and potentially damaging itself.

11. RamiroR

RamiroR

Okay I get now.. so it really is just general overheating.. I'll try to open it up and clean the cooling fans. Thanks everyone ;)