don't click here

Pokémon DarkViolet

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chaos Rush, May 28, 2013.

1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [deleted]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This sounds and looks awesome. I'm gonna download it right now and let you know what I think.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    So I played through. Ended up with Pidgey, Rattata, Hoothoot, and Wartortle by the end. I think I talked to every NPC and I won every battle.

I don't have too much to say other than I enjoyed it a lot. It's a refreshing remix on the original games for sure. Just a minor quibble though, would be that I found some of the more "adult" (adult for Pokemon, anyway) language kind of off-putting. Not like I'm offended or anything, it just kind of makes it feel more "fan fictiony", in those instances where it pops up. I found most of the script to be pretty fun and well-written otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to the next release!

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This looks awesome, though I'll probably wait to check it out until it's a little closer to completion.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Sweet it's cool to see a Pokemon ROM hack, judging from the screenshots and the information you've posted I'll have to check this out and give it a go. :) I've been wanting a hack with newer moves, but never got around to really hacking any of the 3rd gen Pokemon games. (Or any gen for that matter, I've only hacked Blue version a tiny bit... it was nothing special just a text hack, I prefer to research the glitches rather than modifying the ROM...)

6. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Thank you for playing it all the way through, I appreciate it!

In terms of the "adult" dialogue you speak of, could you name some examples? I mean, I might have used the word "crap" somewhere, but I also remember I made a Team Rocket Grunt say, "You're the first one who had the balls to stand up to us". I didn't intentionally try and make it "adult", I just ended up writing it that way without realizing it.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I was talking about, haha. Like I said, it wasn't really a huge deal, it just kind of snapped me out of the experience.

8. Classik

Classik

SEGATA SANSHIRO Member
    Kentucky, USA
    ACT SIXTEEN STUDIOS
    Am I the only one who's having trouble with the very first Gary encounter? I picked Charmander so he got Squirtle. His tackle takes away about 1/3 of my HP, while my scratch only does about 1/6. I can't advance through until I beat him, so I'm pretty much stuck.

This wasn't a problem with the original FireRed because you are allowed to lose that fight because it's a tutorial. In this it's a standard battle, so if you lose you are sent back home.

EDIT:
    After several tries I was finally able to beat him.

I can say so far that the presentation has been outstanding. I really like the graphical enhancements. Besides the difficulty with Gary, the only problem I really have with the game so far is this:
    [​IMG]
    Rugs don't work like that :P

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    I actually had a bit of trouble against Silver Kamon but I started with a Bulbasaur so Peck is super effective against it. :v: Anyway I really like this hack so far, I also love how you've added the fact that the old guy is hungover and not just upset because he didn't get his coffee. xD (I know that is what he says in the Japanese version, I'm glad you've translated it and added it to the hack.)

10. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    What's causing that problem is that I've updated attacks to Gen V standard, meaning Tackle is now 50 Power, while scratch is still 35 Power. In a way though, it kind of goes back to how in the original games, Charmander was "hard mode".

But for anyone having issues with the first battles, I put 3 Oran Berries in the PC. Use them wisely.

The rug is like that in HG/SS. The Kanto you see in DarkViolet will take a lot of visual cues from HG/SS.

Correct, me making the old guy hung over is not me "trying to be badass", I'm just restoring the original intent. Besides, it makes more sense than, "I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm going to lay in the middle of the road!"

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I ended with Charmeleon and Pidgeotto. Like someone else said, bit of trouble on Blue with his Squirtle each time but it worked out alright. One issue though...as soon as Charmander learned Dragon Rage and evolved...that was it, really. Basically made the whole "Charmander equates to Hard Mode" thing pretty moot. Didn't actually USE him again until the Pewter Gym (as I was evolving Pidgey, used Char in the Gym to catch up with the newly evolved Pidgeotto), but I probably don't need to explain how much of a breeze the Gym ended up thanks to Dragon Rage, though Onix survived the first one...just about.

Either way, I loved this. Was a great twist on Gen 1 and I like where you've gone/are going with it as a whole. Liking the music choices too, great work in all!

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So what happens to my save when you release the next patch?

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Honestly, this is the first complete Pokemon hack I've seen. =P Looks pretty amazing too, and I've been dying to try it, but waiting until I'm done with this playthrough of Pokemon Gold, (Thanks to Pokesav for letting me start out with all my favorites!) but I'm having a little trouble patching FireRed in advance. (As far as I know, it's clean without any ugly hacked in intro.) LunarIPS just gives me an image that crashes on startup, am I doing it wrong, or do I need a different IPS patcher? Doesn't matter if it doesn't have a Linux equivalent, every hacking tool for Sonic games that I've tried so far run through Wine just fine.

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [deleted]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    I don't see why not as you said it yourself we post ROMs not patches. I even released a ROM hack of Aaah! Real Monsters and didn't even think to patch it. :v: Also I will give this version a go once you post a link to the rom. :)

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Really? When? What is in it?

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm really enjoying this so far. Even more than that I'm loving the amount of variety there is in Pokemon choice early on. Just beat Brock and dealt with the museum issue and moving onwards. Good stuff!

EDIT: Messed around in it a bit more, mainly grinding to the right of Pewter. Can't believe I forgot to mention the graphical work that's been done, it looks great. I've also taken a look through your PokeCommunity thread to catch more insight on what you're planning to do and I think it's exciting. Can't wait until the full release is out.

18. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Oh. O: I assumed it was complete while reading through the comments, oops.

And it would be nice if you could post the whole ROM image. I usually have problems IPS patching a game, and have to look around the Internet for a pre-patched copy. I think quite a few sites post the whole thing too, besides translations hacks, and the Parallel Worlds hack of A Link to the Past.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    If you use Visual Boy Advance, you can just name the IPS patch the exact same file name as your Fire Red ROM, and when you go to open the ROM it'll just automatically patch it together if both files are in the same folder. That's how I did it at least.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Holy- I wish had known that sooner, sounds a lot easier than manual patching. I'm going to try that later and see what happens; kinda hoping the Linux native version of VBA-M didn't cut that feature out, it axed a lot of advanced functions that are in the Windows version.