PlaySEGA Sonic Level Creator

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    <!--quoteo(post=351227:date=Sep 15 2009, 02:17 AM:name=GT Koopa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GT Koopa @ Sep 15 2009, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351227">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, playing it there is lag, not from the game but from the banner advertisements that have to change every 30 seconds causing a 5-10 second stall, at least on my computer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://adblockplus.org/en/" target="_blank">Welcome to the 21st century.</a>

2. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    <!--quoteo(post=351222:date=Sep 14 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Master3k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master3k @ Sep 14 2009, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351222">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God.

I'm so going to copy that art to my hack. Would SEGA mind?

I think so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If SEGA did mind, this whole community, as well as other hacking communities, would have been already taken down ages ago.

3. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
    <!--quoteo(post=350915:date=Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM:name=GerbilSoft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GerbilSoft @ Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350915">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BONUS: ROM #135 (Virtua Figher 2) is actually in SMD format! lolwhat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, VF2 is a SMD game! Very terrible compared to SFII SMD. Oh, well, back to SNES SFII for me.
    And the Sonic level editor has a nice concept.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=351227:date=Sep 14 2009, 09:17 PM:name=GT Koopa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GT Koopa @ Sep 14 2009, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351227">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, playing it there is lag, not from the game but from the banner advertisements that have to change every 30 seconds causing a 5-10 second stall, at least on my computer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I found out in Opera that if I scroll down enough to make the banner go off-screen, it doesn't get rendered at all, preventing any lag it could be causing.

And the people who make Flash ads should seriously learn to don't waste resources. Intel is the worst offender I've met so far: they're promoting their multithreaded rendering technology and the ad is made as if the person had the harwdare for it (it gets really annoying when trying to post on GDNet because the computer lags to hell when that ad is being shown).

EDIT:<!--quoteo(post=351245:date=Sep 14 2009, 10:07 PM:name=Otama Sanshiro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Otama Sanshiro @ Sep 14 2009, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351245">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=350915:date=Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM:name=GerbilSoft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GerbilSoft @ Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350915">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BONUS: ROM #135 (Virtua Figher 2) is actually in SMD format! lolwhat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, VF2 is a SMD game! Very terrible compared to SFII SMD. Oh, well, back to SNES SFII for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/SMD" target="_blank">Wrong SMD</a>

5. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I've been playing all of the user created levels, you know to play something different for a change. It did occur to me that it might be possible that the graphics could be from a zone planned for the 2010 2D-HD game. I don't know for sure, it's just what I thought.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    <!--quoteo(post=351245:date=Sep 14 2009, 09:07 PM:name=Otama Sanshiro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Otama Sanshiro @ Sep 14 2009, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351245">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=350915:date=Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM:name=GerbilSoft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GerbilSoft @ Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350915">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BONUS: ROM #135 (Virtua Figher 2) is actually in SMD format! lolwhat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, VF2 is a SMD game! Very terrible compared to SFII SMD. Oh, well, back to SNES SFII for me.
    And the Sonic level editor has a nice concept.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wasn't referring to the system. (It would be rather hilarious if Sega had an SNES game on their website, though.)

"SMD" format refers to the interleaved file format used by the <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Super Magic Drive" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Super Magic Drive</a> ROM copier for the Sega Mega Drive.

7. <!--quoteo(post=351249:date=Sep 14 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Mobiethian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mobiethian @ Sep 14 2009, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351249">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It did occur to me that it might be possible that the graphics could be from a zone planned for the 2010 2D-HD game. I don't know for sure, it's just what I thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're not very HD though, are they? ;)

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey guys, this might be kinda relevant.

<!--quoteo(post=351184:date=Sep 14 2009, 05:01 PM:name=Techokami)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techokami @ Sep 14 2009, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351184">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.playsega.com/games/swf/52/res/images/tilesets/zone7.png" target="_blank">http://www.playsega.com/games/swf/52/res/I...esets/zone7.png</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Notice how there's three different sets of mountains in there:

-Mountains with many brown parts and palmtrees.
    -Lower brown mountains and less palmtrees. (with stuff from the next set being reflected in the water, so it might be an incomplete edit)
    -Futuristic cities replacing the trees.

Past, Present and Future? One has to wonder if they really made this "Zone 7" tileset with the crappy flashgame in mind.

In before OMG ROUND 2. =P

EDIT: Oh hey Taxman.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    <!--quoteo(post=351333:date=Sep 15 2009, 12:50 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Sep 15 2009, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351333">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys, this might be kinda relevant.

<!--quoteo(post=351184:date=Sep 14 2009, 05:01 PM:name=Techokami)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techokami @ Sep 14 2009, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351184">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.playsega.com/games/swf/52/res/images/tilesets/zone7.png" target="_blank">http://www.playsega.com/games/swf/52/res/I...esets/zone7.png</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-Lower brown mountains and less palmtrees. (with stuff from the next set being reflected in the water, so it might be an incomplete edit)

Past, Present and Future? One has to wonder if they really made this "Zone 7" tileset with the crappy flashgame in mind.
    I'd think because it has the Sonic 1 zones, it's only Zone 7 due to being a "new level added."

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That... wasn't the point. =(

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    <!--quoteo(post=351226:date=Sep 15 2009, 02:16 AM:name=Master3k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master3k @ Sep 15 2009, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351226">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Someone from Retro should make a level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^Wasn't that done already? I think I saw a level with the name SonicRetro or anything like that.

Or he wasn't refering to the site and I'm talking about cocks.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Created by: Diablohead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Diablohead is a member here.

12. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Misfit
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    Well, I guess it's not Taxman's work:

<a href="http://www.mediatonic.co.uk/blog/2009/09/sonic-level-editor-launches/" target="_blank">http://www.mediatonic.co.uk/blog/2009/09/s...ditor-launches/</a>

<!--quoteo(post=351065:date=Sep 14 2009, 02:04 PM:name=Sik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sik @ Sep 14 2009, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351065">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They aren't doing this to get fans, they're doing this to get money, just they're using a different medium than the retail games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that's why I would be a touch concerned about any success this level editor has, were I heavily involved in the Sonic fan game community.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=351576:date=Sep 15 2009, 03:09 PM:name=TSSZNews)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSSZNews @ Sep 15 2009, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351576">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I guess it's not Taxman's work:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who in their right mind guessed that to begin with?

14. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Misfit
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    <!--quoteo(post=351578:date=Sep 15 2009, 06:14 PM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Sep 15 2009, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351578">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who in their right mind guessed that to begin with?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They were few and far between, but they existed.

I know this because for a few hours Monday morning, I had a story citing them.

15. NinjaMan

NinjaMan

That engine does have some pretty big flaws, and they're not just evident by bad level design, either.

Play a level with a U shaped formation in it and start rolling back and forth on the half-pipe. Once you start rolling high enough to get to a certain point near the edge, you just snap onto it. Maybe it's a quick fix glossing over a more serious bug?

Also, hills. Stand still on one. Walk up it. Not really any resistance at all.

I mean, I know it's just a flash game, but it seems like this is relatively simple stuff they should have taken care of.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The engine needs updating, I just hope they can do some sort of update that effects all the premade levels already too so there won't be a mixed batch of broken physics and working ones.

17. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    <!--quoteo(post=351333:date=Sep 15 2009, 03:50 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Sep 15 2009, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351333">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys, this might be kinda relevant.

In before OMG ROUND 2. =P

.. Nice find. But we should avoid bringing "round 2 " into this as we'll get nothing about it but.. Some small speculations.

I'd find it more interesting if they are planning to implement time travel in it. Hey, I think the possibility exists, but we do not know if this tileset was already done ages ago or not. I guess contacting them would give us better results.

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually, is it me or is the engine now more broken than it was before? And no, this engine doesn't like Sonic going in loops and such.

On another note, I bet that the object limit per tile is to prevent people from spamming levels with objects that would slow down like hell?

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Neat to see the art broken into 16x16 blocks like that. It's neat that they went through all the effort to make a pretty good new zone. Too bad all the layout edits suck.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    <!--quoteo(post=351333:date=Sep 15 2009, 04:50 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Sep 15 2009, 04:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351333">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In before OMG ROUND 2. =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it does most closely resemble Marble Zone out of any Sonic levels, in my opinion. (Still, it lacks a certain consistency with the other levels in that game, like a general lack of simple geometric patterns on the ground tiles. Hmm...)

Does that actually mean anything? Probably not. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.