don't click here

Playing the "Bad" Sonic Games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dr. Corndog, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Honestly I don't think there's enough merit to them to even bother trying to play for entertainment's sake, but I think 06 is by far the most interesting failure of the bunch.

2. ForgeCircuit

ForgeCircuit

I would recommend avoiding them all...I think we should let them die. I don't think they're worth it, even on a curiosity level. As for Sonic 2006, I would still recommend avoiding it, and I disagree with the idea that it is "so bad it's entertaining". If you want to see how problematic the game is without the jokes, look up the glitch videos by DarkSpinesSonic.

3. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    Why play with garbage?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I got so much more enjoyment out of the Game Grumps' playthrough of Sonic 06 than I did from actually playing it, even if they never quite finished it. They got further than I did. =P

+ - GREAT GREAT GREAT  

5. MartiusR

MartiusR

I can tell (basing on my own experience), that if you're very fond of some genre/sub-genre and some title/series/character, it's worth a shot (in most cases). I've read many negative opinions about such games as StC 4 (mostly Ep1) or (not so many, but still) Sonic Heroes... And in practice I've enjoyed Sonic Heroes more than both Sonic Adventure titles, and first episode of StH 4 was for me quite easy, but pleasant experience (well, not counting the last level :P). Not to mention about other games/franchises (for example, I've spent a lot time with Resident Evil 6, which didn't have too good opinions).

I didn't have experience with Sonic titles which are considered as "really bad", such as Sonic 06 (lack of console), but if it's not about buggy and technically underdeveloped product, I would give a chance for title, which is making me curious, even with quite bad reviews. So I would recommend at the beginning to read about the technological lacks, because well, they're one of these rare things, which can be considered in case of games as "indisputable disadvantages").

Basing on my experience with "questionable" Sonic titles, I can recommend without hesitation Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders (although this one is a bit tricky, you'll need to get used to specific gameplay) and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (both episodes).

6. Ha yeah, I can understand the pain of this game now because of that playthrough. Just getting through that was hard enough, I can imagine actually playing it being a right ordeal.

Gonna snap up some copies at some point, I can just imagine the ebay prices in 30 years :v:/>/>

7. Nova

Nova

I don't get that anyone should feel obligated to play any game in a series if they don't want to - that being the key factor here; "do you want to"?

Personally, I'd say stay the fuck away from anything between Adventure 2 and Unleashed. Again though, this is all down to personal taste. :v:

8. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I would want to briefly mention Sonic Gems Collection here—it's not spectacular or anything as it's obviously just a compilation, but it's nice to play Sonic the Fighters on console just to get a feel for the game.

9. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    I like Sonic The Fighters, Knuckles was OP (I miss those days when he was programmed to be the most badass) since he had literally every option in the game to attack, along with a great counter. But that terrible, terrible, comeback system ruined any chances of the game lasting.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Heh I guess I'm one of the few members here at retro that somewhat enjoys '06 more than Unleashed. :P But I say avoid crap like Sonic Genesis for the GBA. It's seriously the worse port of Sonic the Hedgehog, it's definitely not worth your time to play. Sonic Chronicles is another game that comes to mind, and if you plan on playing it just put your DS/3DS on mute since the music is shit.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Suuuuuure, you say this NOW. How many of us told you not to buy Sonic 06 at that Barcade and you did it anyway? =P

12. Nova

Nova

Pfft, as I said, I had already completed it before that - just wanted to pick up a new copy before the price kept going up. ;)

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I like Sonic 2006 because it's craptastic.

But mostly, I like Sonic 2006 because it takes so little to really break the game and it makes it really fun. At least, when I showed off the glitches I know, people who watch thinking I'm playing the game ironically always react hilariously when I do something like go to space on a box, skip past whole stages, kill Egg Wyvern in less than 50 seconds, and stack overflow the game to "100%" it quickly.

And those aren't even the hard glitches. DSS can make this game do awful things, but its so entertaining to watch.

Mind you, I still think its a putrid, awful game and its a serious problem that the game only gets interesting when you exploit it, but I hold it a notch higher than Sonic Boom, more so since the one thing that made Boom enjoyable (in this same as 06 screwed up way) was patched out. Plus: they care to fix it! Minus: the game is painfully suffering from ennui.

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Wait, what?

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOh65DEzQ1k#t=12m00 (deliberately un-embedded to preserve time code)

Enjoy. =P

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    All the characters have an exploit like that. Its pretty great.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's amazing.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The game doesn't know where to send you back to, so as a failsafe, instead of crashing, it just takes you to the credits. The character's story mode is then considered 100% complete, but you only have access to the levels you played.

However, if you FAIL the mission while trying to perform this glitch, you're kicked back to the main menu. The game has some weird exception handling cases, but this oddly makes it very difficult to force it to lock up and crash.

19. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Oh wow, that's pretty crazy, I might have to try that out sometime =P

The amount of ridiculous glitches like that in '06 never ceases to amaze me; I know it's been said a million times before, but really, who thought that putting out a game of this quality was even remotely acceptable?

20. Felik

Felik

Sony?