don't click here

Playable Metal Sonic in Sonic CD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LoneDevil, Oct 31, 2014.

1. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7eYSjZUu5E[/youtube]

My mod for the 2011 Re-release of Sonic CD (Steam/PC Ver), replaces all traces of Sonic to Metal Sonic. other changes include robotic voice samples, Sonic CD 510 Prototype Titlescreen theme for the JP Soundtrack,
    and 2 new hidden messages, see if you can find them yourself. This mod has no gameplay enhancements. This is also the first ever full character hack of Sonic CD.

Very small chance that I'll consider hacking the original Sonic CD 1996 PC port.

Special Thanks to Xeeynamo for helping me deal with sprite collisions/sizes, without him, I would've cancel this project sooner or later due to slightly missing pixels for a few animations.

Download Metal Sonic in Sonic CD Mod

(Place the data file here, be sure to rename/backup the original file first.)

On a side note, The Metal Sonic trilogy is pretty much complete now... (Metal Sonic in Sonic 1,2,3,and CD. Sonic 4 doesn't count.)

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    No Tails Doll over Tails? Disappointed. *hit*

Very, very nicely done. I am impressed by how quickly you churn these out now, and with the sprites looking right in-place without out-of-place frames. I'll definitely give this more of a go-through when I get home from work later on. Metal Sonic 3.0 is a nice touch, too (you missed a trick, though; should've done Eggman Nega too! :U)

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Would be even cooler if you could Race Sonic threw each level and gave your metal the ability to hurt Sonic with his signature moves. Anyhow looks good for what you've done.

4. Sploit

Sploit

Funny I did say that Tails Doll should have been added for the race stage when playing as Tails in the 2011 remake, rather than having Tails race against metal. Missed opportunity I think.

Obviously the remake was awesome anyway, but it would have been a nice touch.

5. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix
    Wow, this came out really fast! I'm impressed! I've heard hacking CD is a big pain in the ass! Maybe this will redeem the game for me...

Edit: didn't realize it was just an art change at this point. Still, it's pretty awesome. Also, Gold metal sonic... I want tails to be this in Metal Sonic in S2!

6. Felik

Felik

Tails Doll is owned by Traveler's Tales. So is Metal Knuckles.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Looks cool, especially since you've made a milestone with CD hacking. The sprite replacement looks complete too, he's even on the menu background.

I think Sonic himself would have made a cooler replacement than Neo however. Made it a complete 'dark mode'.

As soon as gameplay hacking becomes more possible, I hope to get a shot at CD myself (one game left for Amy to conquer...)

8. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    Congrats man! :)

9. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I wonder if one could take the iOS version of Sonic CD and put the modded files in that. If I had the space for Sonic CD on my iPad (16 GB is the one thing I don't like about my iPad), then I'd give it a shot.

10. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    There are some obstacles to him doing that, but depending on what got modified, maybe.
    The biggest problem is that the PC version is a lot older than the mobile ports. RSDK files from the PC version won't work in the mobile version and vice versa, and if you extract them you'll see the folder structure differs a bit. (This is from memory, but back when the Desert Dazzle stuff was found, the first thing I tried to do was drop the iOS RSDK file into the PC version so we'd get bug fixes and the like but it doesn't work) The other problem is that it would only work on jailbroken iOS devices, the signature check is across the entire game package and not just the executable.

I have some modifications that allow the PC version of the game to read from both the RSDK or extracted files at the same time, which would probably make mods like this easier to distribute. There is still some work to be done to get it into a releasable state though, and I haven't touched said project in a quite a long time. Still, if there's a lot of interest I might pick it up over the holiday again.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    SEGA allowed for both to appear in the Archie comics just a couple years ago. That's not a problem.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I never understood that line of thought. Same goes for Nack, Mighty, Ray, Bark, and Bean. Sega owns them all they just could care less about them, but they're ok with them showing up in the comic.

13. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Because the comics are never canon to the games, they're basically approved fan-fictions.

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Not really, it's just different Sonic tales in alternate times and alternate places. It's just like literally any other media ever that has alternate universes.

That said, I'm actually proud of how far you've come in your works. You've really come a long long way, and I look forward to seeing what other things you may decide to make.

15. Sploit

Sploit

This is not true...
    ...the character's are Sonic Team creations and Traveller's Tales had license to use then in the game along with the other Sonic characters.

Hoshino confirmed at SoS '13 that Tails Doll was actually created by a member of Sonic Team who usually works as a bckground artist.

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I like this hack.
    What would make it complete for me, though...
    Is if the default future is good, and you have to go into the past to "fix" the roboticizer instead of break it in order to create a bad future.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Does Metal Sonic have his abilities from the boss race?

18. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    If only it's possible to do programming (lol asm) for the 2011 remake. (Basically no, if you read, this mod has no gameplay enhancements)