don't click here

Photoshop Scan Recovery Help?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    So, I often get asked questions by people who have skills other than writing/hoarding every game ever how they can help out with Retro projects, and I think I finally have something that may be up some folks' alley.

Normally, when I process incoming scans, part and parcel of that process is cleaning up any human errors that have been made--either with the original object or something that happens in scanning. A quick example of something I'm working on now, for instance, is just doing a bit of dust removal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, nothing too taxing. However, sometimes we receive scans that are a little more...intensive in terms of work, and a little past the scope of what I'm comfortable fixing:

[​IMG]

That's one nasty crease.

Would anyone here be interested in volunteering to clean up scans like this?

2. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    You mean this crease? http://I.imgur.com/Nmhl07n.jpg

I can do better with the high-res version :v:

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Daaaamn, son.

Full res is at http://ss.sonicretro.org/tnnbass_md_us_cover.jpg

4. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    Done :v: Got a spot on the server I can upload to? Imgur isn't liking the filesize =\

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I've GOT A SPOT

CALLED SEGA RETRO DOT ORG

6. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    Alright; I didn't want to assume you wanted it uploaded directly there :P

Uploaded it to http://segaretro.org/File:TNNBToC_MD_US_Box.jpg

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    ScarredSun, next time just make a tight manual selection on the crease and press Shift+F5 (Command+F5 on a MAC I believe?) and select Fill: Content Aware. 95% of the times it'll get rid of it automatically.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The 3366 x 2100 size ones from TheCoverProject or wherever shouldn't be marked as "good" - Universal Game Cases are fatter than Mega Drive ones, so everything gets stretched (or cropped). We can do better

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Fiiiiiiiiight me

Seriously though right now I'm more interested in completionism than whether they are the best, especially because as you note UGC is a little off. However, it's usually not skewed to a degree that bothers me (I mean, sometimes I alter the "good" scans I do too—for example, the Sonic 3 Majesco on Sonic Retro was altered by me to fix some issues on the front from the copy I had :ssh:/> )

I do suppose this goes back to our internal question on quality=good vs. another like quality=great.

Edit: Also before anyone goes and checks that Sonic 3 cover, the blurriness is actually on the back of the box. I had to triple-check the physical box because I was getting paranoid.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Also, the dust on the front of this cover art is from the original art, because it's affects two layers of the halftone (cyan and magenta) and you can see a little offset on the dust marks as well on the rest of the artwork. So I believe it was dirt on the original art/film they used to make the printing matrices.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You can do that

but it doesn't matter in this case because they're neither "good" nor "great" :eng101:

Truth be told every scan needs re-assessment anyway. "Good" was meant to mean "you don't need to replace this file" but I'm thinking 600 DPI would be a better standard to live by, rather than the 200/300 DPI of years long past.