don't click here

Help Performance Issues on Sonic Mania and other RSDK games on NVIDIA RTX 40 series GPU

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Epsilonsama, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Hey all, gotta be honest I have no idea where to put this on the forums but after going around the internet and trying to find a solution I feel that someone here might have both Sonic Mania and other RSDK games plus a NVIDIA 40 series GPU.

Anyway my situation is as follows. I upgraded my GPU from an old RX 570 and got a RTX 4060. It ran all the newer fancy games as good as a 4060 can be and even Sonic Adventure DX ran well (also tested Sonic 4 Ep I and II cause why not). But when I wanted to play some Sonic Mania I got the most horrible slowdown and stutter I ever seen. I tried many things from limiting the FPS using the NVIDIA Control Panel, to disabling Full-screen optimizations, etc. I just cant get any Retro Engine games to run at all. And while all this happening both the CPU and GPU are barely being utilized so at this point I have no idea what the cause of my issues be.

I just want to know if someone in the community also had issues running RSDK games on a RTX 40 series GPU and if so were you able to fix said issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Have you tried going on over to the Retro Engine modding discord about your issue? These issues are quite peculiar, especially if this could be affecting the decompilations specifically.

In theory one thing you could do is like... update your graphics drivers / clean install them if you haven't done so already. most of the time that could fix the problem.

If it doesn't, though, then I'm not really sure what could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2023
  3. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    I used DDU to remove the old AMD GPU drivers and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Whats their link?

4. You can just find it through google- searching "Retro Engine modding discord" pulls up the railgun link you can join from.

5. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    Hey just waiting until I'm able to post. But I read some on the comments there. Both Sonic Mania Steam version and the Sonic 2 de-compilation did not work btw.

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    If your GPU/CPU usages are low it might be some sort of throttling, check the temperatures of each I guess, you might have some cooling issues. Also I know this is more of a laptop thing, but windows OS now dictates when to use integrated/dedicated graphics sometimes, it doesn't detect things properly and thus forces games to use integrated. That would explain the low GPU usage but honestly you should be able to run RSDK games on integrated, they aren't that graphically intensive. Still setting it to "performance mode" or whatever wouldn't hurt it.

7. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    Update, went to the Discord server mentioned on this thread and found the culprit. The versions of Mania and Sonic CD on Steam dont play well at least with the 4060 and latest drivers. Grabbed the latest RSDKv4 stable release and it worked.