don't click here

PAL Asia: Getting more concrete

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I noticed in Black Squirrel's recent rewrite of the legacy of the Mega Drive in various regions, there was a tongue-in-cheek reference to "Asia"; that is, what's between Europe and Japan but is not South Korea. What all does this include? The list I've gathered of "PAL Asia" countries so far would be:

- Taiwan
    - Hong Kong/Macau
    - China
    - The Philippines
    - India (Shaw Wallace, 1995, ?18,000)
    - Thailand (Galaxy Group)
    - Malaysia (Wywy Group)
    - Singapore (Wywy Group)
    - Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (Alesayi United)
    - South Africa (Consumer Electronic Specialty Ltd.)

Are we missing anything else? The exclusion of Pakistan on that list jumps out to me, and I'd be interested in knowing if there was another distributor for Africa (especially for places like Egypt, Nigeria, etc.)

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    should point out - Taiwan and The Philippines are NTSC, not PAL

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of Sega presence in Egypt - those al-Alamiah MSX/Mega Drive computers were supposedly sold around that region so you'd think there'd be some Sega software to sell along side them.

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Hongkong, as far as I know, was the only region Sega considered to be "asia". To the point that they bundled video cd cards with the last "asian" saturn, which should be a very big clue.

China and South Korea had its own region code, korea even had its own OFFICIAL Sega consoles (and not just goldstar/samsung releases).