don't click here

Origins of Sonic Music Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by saxman, Feb 5, 2023.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I was a little hesitant about making a thread on this, because it's sort of self-serving in some respects. However, anyone who has been following my efforts over the past several months will know about my archiving efforts. I've taken a deep dive into the history on Sonic ROM research. My roots are in ROM hacking and having some of the earliest hacking documentation, but things have come a long way since I was really intimately involved with that. And as with all things, the passage of time tends to create a fog for oldbies and newbies alike -- oldbies in the respect that they have trouble remembering some things or even finding them; newbies in the respect that they don't know a whole lot about the history. There were many people who played major roles that ultimately helped get us where we are today.

I'm making this thread about music hacking specifically, because it's an area that I have deep interest both inside and outside of Sonic. It also took a long time for music modifications in ROMs to become a regular occurrence. In the spirit of continuing my archiving and historical documentation efforts -- and since this is a subject that interests me and was also deeply involved with -- I thought I would put together a ZIP archive of all my music hacks I did while researching the music (along with some from others that came immediately following Sonic QX), my early hacking notes on the subject, and an explanation of how I went from not touching it a whole lot to doing a full exploration of the music-related data in the Sonic ROMs. I have no idea what kind of interest there may be in this, but let's give it a shot.

The ZIP file itself can be downloaded from the wiki (File:Sonic-Music-Hacking-Archive.zip - Sonic Retro). If anyone has any ideas where it might fit into the wiki, I'm all ears. I thought about the Sonic 2 Hacking Guide page, but I'm not totally sure if I like it there or not. Also, if anyone thinks I'm missing anything from the history, I'm all ears. I don't know much beyond 2004, because I started becoming a lot more detached from ROM hacking and didn't follow the goings-on in the community as much by that point.

The below text is from the README.txt file:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List