Open Sonic version 0.1.3

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SilverstepP, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

Now with twice the sprites. Member
    North Carolina
    STILL trying to get these damn spam bots off the Open Sonic forum.
    Before all my posts are up, I want to see how many people on Retro have heard about this fan game. Since the characters will be eventually replaced by non-Sonic characters and the engine was built entirely by hand, this game is technically not going to be a Sonic game. However, it will still have the feel of a Sonic game. We're taking the gameplay style of it and adding our own twist to it by introducing 'cooperative play'.

<a href="http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/home/index.php" target="_blank">Open Sonic Homepage</a>

Plus, nobody announced the third release of this. When I joined, the wiki page for it said it was still only on the second version, and the third was released a fairly long time before that. Also, there's plenty of levels to play, built by various people.

<a href="http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=5" target="_blank">Custom Level Topic in the Open Sonic Forum</a>

Tell me what you think.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    The screenshot only says 0.1.2, it's okay for now.
    As for your plans to replace characters, why go down that route? This engine is perfect with original Sonic characters and I'd rather see them not replaced by others.

3. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

North Carolina
    <!--quoteo(post=474093:date=Jul 1 2010, 12:41 PM:name=SOTI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOTI @ Jul 1 2010, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474093">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The wiki page will be updated soon.
    As for your plans to replace characters, why go down that route? This engine is perfect with original Sonic characters and I'd rather see them not replaced by others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've updated the page already :-).

We want to avoid getting in too many copyright issues, according to Alexandre, the guy who made the engine.

Well, this was my last post. Wish me luck...

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I've definitely heard of this before. Last time I played it though it wasn't exactly the most solid Sonic-based engine I ever played. Still though, it's pretty fun at times, and it seems to control alot like Chaotix physics-wise.

5. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

North Carolina
    <!--quoteo(post=474097:date=Jul 1 2010, 12:46 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Jul 1 2010, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474097">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've definitely heard of this before. Last time I played it though it wasn't exactly the most solid Sonic-based engine I ever played. Still though, it's pretty fun at times, and it seems to control alot like Chaotix physics-wise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The engine is being worked on. Believe me...

Right now we're working on 'sticky physics', as I like to call them. These allow the characters to stay 'stuck' while going down a slope like this:

---
    ----\
    -----\
    ------l
    ------l
    -----/
    ----/
    ---

As a rough typing. :rolleyes:

This will open up all sorts of possibilities, although you can already do a lot with the engine. The 0.1.3 update was pretty good, considering Tails can pick up and carry teammates now.

In version 0.1.4, which I've been told is coming sometime between Summer and Fall, is going to have 3 types of springs in every direction (diagonals included), improved bumper physics, and also a few bugfixes.

This game is definitely having potential.

EDIT: The reason it reminds you of the Chaotix is because all of the ripped stages were from the Chaotix.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I think I remember writing a story for TSSZ about OpenSonic a year ago.

<a href="http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/21/opensonic-comes-to-the-dreamcast/" target="_blank">Ah yes, here it is.</a>

Looks like the reason I posted that was because of a post made here on Retro about it.

7. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    <!--quoteo(post=474093:date=Jul 1 2010, 11:41 AM:name=SOTI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOTI @ Jul 1 2010, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474093">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The screenshot only says 0.1.2, it's okay for now.
    As for your plans to replace characters, why go down that route? This engine is perfect with original Sonic characters and I'd rather see them not replaced by others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The reason for that is simple. They don't own the rights to Sonic and company! They aim to have their game included in Linux distributions, just as the Secret Maryo Chronicles eventually did. SMC also started out using ripped assets from Nintendo's games, and they gradually replaced it all. Now, most Linux distributions include Secret Maryo Chronicles in their repositories.

Additionally, just because the Sonic assets are being removed from the game doesn't mean the engine couldn't still be used with Sonic assets. Theoretically, it should be possible to use Sonic 2 HD game assets within the OpenSonic engine if you wanted to.

8. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

North Carolina
    <!--quoteo(post=474463:date=Jul 2 2010, 08:51 AM:name=BlazeHedgehog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlazeHedgehog @ Jul 2 2010, 08:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474463">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I remember writing a story for TSSZ about OpenSonic a year ago.

<a href="http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/21/opensonic-comes-to-the-dreamcast/" target="_blank">Ah yes, here it is.</a>

Looks like the reason I posted that was because of a post made here on Retro about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah yes, the Dreamcast port.

I just use it on Windows since you can edit and build things from scratch.

<a href="http://img251.imageshack.us/I/s027.png/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    Don't ask why his face is like this. It's a looooong story...

<a href="http://img716.imageshack.us/I/48071153.png/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Take these images for example. These are both levels created by me. You can make your own levels from scratch, if you know what you're doing. I made everything you see there by hand, including my avatar's sprites. This engine allows you to create your own custom levels by making 'bricks' with different behavior types. There's a bunch of tutorials on how to use it in the forum <a href="http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=6" target="_blank">here</a>.

It takes practice and studying the tutorials, but it's worth it.

<!--quoteo(post=474466:date=Jul 2 2010, 09:21 AM:name=Conan Kudo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Conan Kudo @ Jul 2 2010, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474466">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474093:date=Jul 1 2010, 11:41 AM:name=SOTI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOTI @ Jul 1 2010, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474093">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The screenshot only says 0.1.2, it's okay for now.

The reason for that is simple. They don't own the rights to Sonic and company! They aim to have their game included in Linux distributions, just as the Secret Maryo Chronicles eventually did. SMC also started out using ripped assets from Nintendo's games, and they gradually replaced it all. Now, most Linux distributions include Secret Maryo Chronicles in their repositories.

Additionally, just because the Sonic assets are being removed from the game doesn't mean the engine couldn't still be used with Sonic assets. Theoretically, it should be possible to use Sonic 2 HD game assets within the OpenSonic engine if you wanted to.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for clarifying that.

9. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    You should probably add in customisable controls.

The game, on the whole, is a good start, but rather dull. Linear level layouts, with puzzles that range from "get one character to stand on switch so other character can pass" to "get two characters to stand on two switches so the other can pass" (at least, in the first zone) along with sparse enemy, ring, and, in general, object placement, with a pointless "team" mechanic that serves no reason other to further aforementioned pointless puzzles, lacklustre physics, and music that varies in quality - but is generally rather icky conversions of Chaotix tunes to MIDI.

However, as I said. It's a good start. I haven't played many fangames, but hey - you've got a while to go, so that's okay. You won't be reaching 1.0.0 anytime soon, or so I hope.

10. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

North Carolina
    <!--quoteo(post=474483:date=Jul 2 2010, 11:13 AM:name=roxahris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (roxahris @ Jul 2 2010, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474483">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should probably add in customisable controls.

The game, on the whole, is a good start, but rather dull. Linear level layouts, with puzzles that range from "get one character to stand on switch so other character can pass" to "get two characters to stand on two switches so the other can pass" (at least, in the first zone) along with sparse enemy, ring, and, in general, object placement, with a pointless "team" mechanic that serves no reason other to further aforementioned pointless puzzles, lacklustre physics, and music that varies in quality - but is generally rather icky conversions of Chaotix tunes to MIDI.

However, as I said. It's a good start. I haven't played many fangames, but hey - you've got a while to go, so that's okay. You won't be reaching 1.0.0 anytime soon, or so I hope.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like I said, the conversions of the Chaotix were early stages of the project. Try some of the user made levels. You'll be surprised about what puzzles await you.

We are working on making an option for 'classic play', which allows you to use ONLY one character in a given stage.

<a href="http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/TODO_List" target="_blank">Open Sonic To-Do list</a>

Here's what we're currently taking care of. As you can see, we're kind of short a few programmers. :colbert:

I assure you, the final game will be much more complete. We're working on making 'color-coded switches' as well, to make the puzzles more interesting. It's got a long way to, that's for sure.

Any suggestions for something you don't see there?

EDIT: Customizable controls are under 'moddable characters', I believe.

11. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    I've been watching/playing OpenSonic for some time. Was there any reason in particular Allegro was chosen for the engine?

12. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    <!--quoteo(post=474987:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474987">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been watching/playing OpenSonic for some time. Was there any reason in particular Allegro was chosen for the engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Other than it is as portable as fuck?

13. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

North Carolina
    <!--quoteo(post=474988:date=Jul 3 2010, 08:45 PM:name=Conan Kudo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Conan Kudo @ Jul 3 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474988">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474987:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474987">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been watching/playing OpenSonic for some time. Was there any reason in particular Allegro was chosen for the engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you again.

:-P

14. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    <!--quoteo(post=474988:date=Jul 3 2010, 06:45 PM:name=Conan Kudo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Conan Kudo @ Jul 3 2010, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474988">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474987:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474987">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been watching/playing OpenSonic for some time. Was there any reason in particular Allegro was chosen for the engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:v:

Yes, other than that. :)

15. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

North Carolina
    <!--quoteo(post=475008:date=Jul 3 2010, 09:37 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475008">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474988:date=Jul 3 2010, 06:45 PM:name=Conan Kudo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Conan Kudo @ Jul 3 2010, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474988">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474987:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474987">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been watching/playing OpenSonic for some time. Was there any reason in particular Allegro was chosen for the engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that's mainly the reason why. Also, we didn't want to re-use a pre-existing engine (to, again, avoid too much copyright issues), and the project developer (Alexandre) is experienced with Allegro as well. I'm not too much of a tech person, I'm just the moderator for their forum. :-p

So, other than that, I don't really know why. I haven't asked Alexandre much about it.

16. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Well, it's a good enough reason. Thanks for the info, even if a bit limited. :)

17. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Misfit
    Character named Colin... interesting tidbit: that's Snively's birth name according to Archie Comic #197(?)

18. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    <!--quoteo(post=475029:date=Jul 3 2010, 10:07 PM:name=SilverstepP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverstepP @ Jul 3 2010, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475029">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475008:date=Jul 3 2010, 09:37 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475008">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474988:date=Jul 3 2010, 06:45 PM:name=Conan Kudo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Conan Kudo @ Jul 3 2010, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474988">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=474987:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM:name=Chilly Willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Jul 3 2010, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=474987">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been watching/playing OpenSonic for some time. Was there any reason in particular Allegro was chosen for the engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that's mainly the reason why. Also, we didn't want to re-use a pre-existing engine (to, again, avoid too much copyright issues), and the project developer (Alexandre) is experienced with Allegro as well. I'm not too much of a tech person, I'm just the moderator for their forum. :-p

So, other than that, I don't really know why. I haven't asked Alexandre much about it.

My only problem is that Allegro 4.2 has some serious issues with PulseAudio. I've been told by some Allegro devs that Allegro 4.4 may have fixed these issues, but they weren't sure...

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    PulseAudio was known for having trouble with about everything, no idea if it's still like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with it.

20. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    <!--quoteo(post=475059:date=Jul 4 2010, 01:48 AM:name=Sik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sik @ Jul 4 2010, 01:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475059">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PulseAudio was known for having trouble with about everything, no idea if it's still like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nowadays, PulseAudio isn't problematic anymore with most audio applications, at least, in my experience. It also works quite well with Allegro 5 based applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.