don't click here

Old Yuji Naka interview

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by NioZero, Jun 24, 2015.

1. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Hi.

Recently I came across this article and I don't know is was published before (I didn't find it in the Interviews section). Apparently was an interview at a Game Developer magazine. It mention some things about when he left SEGA so maybe is relevant to post it here.

Link: Yuji Naka On New Beginnings At His Studio, Prope (Gamasutra)

Please close or merge if this was posted before.

2. So he got sick of their shit and left. I mean, from my perspective, Sonic wasn't in a great place when he was there, Heroes was OK, and who knows what kind of developmental disaster Sonic 06 went through, we can only imagine. He leaves and...we get Sonic Boom. I think we can agree that he wouldn't have okay'd...that 'game'. Man. Sonic...RIP?

3. MastaSys

MastaSys

That's quite the gap you got there.

I think people give Yuji Naka way too much credit, if he was still at Sega things would be the same, if not worse.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic Unleashed, Colours, Generations.

Also, you realise he was the producer, right? If Sonic wasn't in a great place while he was there, you don't think he might have some responsibility?

5. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Naka never really cared for Sonic all that much. He needed to be begged to come back for Sonic 2, and by the mid 90s Sonic Team had moved on to games like Ristar, NiGHTS and Burning Rangers. Naka was only drawn back to the series with Adventure because he was excited about the power of the Dreamcast hardware, but Adventure is more of Iizuka's baby, anyway.

I find it quite telling that Rodea is far more NiGHTS than Sonic, and don't really find it surprising that the quality of titles suffered in the "dark ages" before Naka finally got too fed up with merely being a sign off guy in a suit and left during development of '06.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Many people still call him the creator of Sonic...

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The interview has almost nothing to do with Sonic, which is why the interview isn't included here. There's a interview section on Sega Retro but noones been porting interviews to it.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    funny you mention that