Old magazine had an article about Sonic Xtreme

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by sonictopfan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Misfit
    I have an old magazine that goes back around 1997, it had an interesting short article about Sonic Xtreme along with some screenshots of what appears to be a cutcene.

I apologize in advance for the quality of the scans, the magazine is quite old:

[​IMG]

The article is written in Arabic "most likely translated from English" so I'll translate what it says, hopefully there won't be mistranslation:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What a shock, Sonic Xtreme has been canceled!

Saturn owners will be torn once they hear that the promising 3D game Sonic Xtreme is been canceled. The game that's been in development in the United States and was expected to arrive before the holidays doesn't seem to promise of any exact release dates.

Our sources in the United States told us that the managers working at SEGA didn't feel the game will be able to raise its head and scream "LOOK AT ME!" loud enough, so it's a wise decision which prevents an unsatisfying game from entering a losing battle facing NiGHTS, Crash Bandicoot, and Super Mario 64.

However it's not a total loss since SEGA are switching the game from MegaDrive to Saturn. Reports are showing that Yuji Naka, the developer of Sonic and NiGHTS, has been working on it for so long and the improvements from the original game will include a 16-bits difference, better graphics (plus a 3D Sonic), two more levels as a reward and a whole lot of mediation and visual games.

These screenshots are taken from the cutscenes, we'll take screenshots of the actual gameplay soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The models look just like the ones used in Sonic 3D Blast cutcenes.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wow, never seen those 2 shots before. wonder what build that is from?...

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Looks like 3D Blast.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's definitely snapshots from one of the endings to Saturn 3D Blast. There's no way the Saturn would've been able to pull that off successfully.

Besides, it seems the whole article takes note that Xtreme has been cancelled, and 3D Blast is being ported to Saturn. So yeah.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    First thing I noticed: definitely CG. Saturn's graphics were nowhere nears as... fluffy.

Second thing I noticed: definitely 3D Blast. Probably Saturn version's CG.

Third thing I noticed: I don't think Xtreme ever got to the point where it would have CG, so it's even more likely to be 3D Blast now.

It may not be exact shots from the 3D Blast CG, but even if it's not, it's more likely to be pre-release promotional shots for 3D Blast than anything related to Xtreme itself.

6. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Pretty interesting...I don't remember seeing Sonic doing those poses and shots from those angles in the final game of 3D Blast for Saturn but then again I haven't played that game in a good while. It definitely resembles the art and style of 3D Blast's level Green Grove. Honestly if they kept 3D Blast in pure 3D like these cutscenes and removed the Flickies gimmick I probably would've really enjoyed this game. I really think the shots are not from X-Treme but from 3D Blast as well, because it really resembles that more than any screen shots, videos and builds of X-Treme I've seen and the majority of the levels were only 50% completed.

I doubt they had in game cutscenes in such early stages of development. It's really a shame that X-Treme got cancelled I really think it had a lot of potential to be a really fun game. I find it funny they thought 3D Blast was going to be good competition against Mario 64, Nights and Crash but X-Treme wouldn't be. Thanks for posting the article scans because whether its X-Treme or 3D Blast its still Pre Release looking screen shots I don't remember seeing anywhere in the actual game.

7. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Like I say, probably just promotional shots. The primitive equivalent of the renders you always see in ads and preview articles or the screenshots on the back of the box that are taken from such ridicuously cinematic angles that you'd never actually see them in-game (example: any given Mass Effect back-of-box screenshot).

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

furthermore known as the JAMs Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    wiki wild wild west
    Definitely Sonic 3D renders. I think Traveller's Tales were behind them and afaik they weren't involved in Sonic X-treme in any way.

9. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    I thought I saw these before at Dirk Andre's Sonic site before.

10. sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Misfit
    I want to point out that these screenshots are most likely mirrored, I noticed in the magazine I scanned them from that they flip pictures in general.

As for the translation I did my best, Arabic is my native language, but I apologize if there's any mistranslation, this article is more likely translated from English to begin with.

I did find it interesting how they said:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SEGA are switching the game from MegaDrive to Saturn<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If this is true then the game may have been in development for the Mega Drive at some point, or perhaps they meant 32X for Sonic Mars, IDK.

Finally for those who asked about the GIF pics in my signature, they're from Sonic Chronicles.

11. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Sonic Xtreme was developed for the Megadrive way before Sonic 3D was. No idea how long it was in development before they made the switch though, Chris Senn supplied us with some concept art on how it would have looked back then:
    [​IMG]

12. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Those .GIFs in your sig, where are they from?

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    <!--quoteo(post=592413:date=Jun 6 2011, 06:08 PM:name=Ollie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ollie @ Jun 6 2011, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=592413">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic Xtreme was developed for the Megadrive way before Sonic 3D was. No idea how long it was in development before they made the switch though, Chris Senn supplied us with some concept art on how it would have looked back then:
    (pic)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Untitled_STI_Sonic_Game" target="_blank">The picture was a mockup render designed to pitch the concept, which failed and so never went into development.</a>

Which reminds me to ask again: was <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic-16" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Sonic-16</a> ever actually put into development? Its article makes it unclear.

14. <!--quoteo(post=592416:date=Jun 6 2011, 05:13 PM:name=Demi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Demi @ Jun 6 2011, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=592416">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those .GIFs in your sig, where are they from?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6OKmbSJZ4" target="_blank">Right here.</a>

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <!--quoteo(post=592178:date=Jun 5 2011, 09:36 PM:name=JaxTH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaxTH @ Jun 5 2011, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=592178">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks like 3D Blast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_5V6lLGJgM&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_5V6lLGJgM&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Looks like it may be an early version of this:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPhNK-web8o&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPhNK-web8o&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

17. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    <!--quoteo(post=592610:date=Jun 7 2011, 06:52 AM:name=Moonshadow Caz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moonshadow Caz @ Jun 7 2011, 06:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=592610">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks like it may be an early version of this:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPhNK-web8o&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPhNK-web8o&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow yeah that solves the mystery he even does the hand up pose. So those screens were early versions of this ending or in different angles for magazine purposes.