don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I honestly didn't like the last post.

That Island art was obviously incomplete. El took it just to create a mockup which was, anyway, a really nice one.

The irony beyond this "wasted hyper HDized opportunity" really makes me think if those people seriously took the time thinking how functional a "personal" interpretation would work in a team, and how "easy" a huge heterogeneous mass of art is going to be integrated.

Beyond the "original S2 art feel", the decision of creating something as a reference called "4X original sprites", it's a method where every artist will find its guidelines into, without excluding any welcome or needed extra addition to it from the official artworks.
    (Sonic Buckles, the new shades, smiles, badniks shapes additions)

Going back on the "time" idea, I really thought the same when I've seen those great screens!!

Truth is, we will start to consider any add-ons after the main part of the game is finished. Believe me, this project has really not an amateurish game's aim. So much quality work to do and so great expectations!! :colbert:

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I have to agree with this statement wholeheartedly. Furthermore, it's not like the concept is unusual in the Sonic games (Chaotix and SA both had this to a degree).

I've played the original game a ton of times, so I'm not interested in playing it again (at least, not under the guise that it is a new game).

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Any updates for the Signpost and the Endlevel Animal Cage?

4. [​IMG]

Some tweaks to shapes, form and colours done.

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I think someone aught to sort out the star itself first, before changing anything else - that's what needs 'fixing' the most

6. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    Considering it takes one (built in) variable to do that, that's not really hard and pretty realistic. Doing all the art for it would be kind of a pain in the arse though

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    ... Nah, It'll be Easy to do the art if we finish the daylight title screen.

8. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    I'm guessing an HSV color replacement method?

9. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
  10. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
  11. A quick mockup of the two things minus the incomplete star.

[​IMG] - Quick estimate with the hue tool.
    [​IMG]

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Can you update it on the DB?

I would like to try out the star.

[​IMG]

Sorry I've really never done anything in square shapes, so I did it mainly by hand. (Some shades seems to get out from the others :P)
    Anyway, that's just to show you about how I would do it!

The messy vector file:
    download

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  14. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

I think this star looks much better Vincent, good job.

15. Before we consider the starpost "finished," don't we have to do the animation of it rotating when you activate it? Also, Vincent's is a bit closer to the original, but I don't mind having either star. Great to see progress on this.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Vincent's star looks better, but I don't think they ever intended it to have grey shades at the bottom, on the inside or anywhere. Those tones look like they're just the anti-aliasing applied to a small plain white star.

I also think that part still doesn't look like a sphere, the star should have more volume. Something like the spheres with stars in Sonic Adventure's switches (if I remember them correctly).

17. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I would have thought that that would be the programmers' job, since the animation is simply the top part rotating on a different axis.

18. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
  19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

WIP

Another update from Staff-side workings :)
    Needs more fixes on shapes and shades.

20. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    This is the programmer's job, but we need for the artist to at least split up the starpost into the static base and the rotational part (I know it's a trivial cut and paste in this instance, but still wanted to mention it to remind artists to keep that in mind when designing the art to make it easy on yourself to split stuff up if the programmers need it :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.