Obscure, irrelevant things you find odd in Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by _oliver, May 16, 2022.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I wouldn't be surprised if these were originally going to be piloted by Eggman but they later replaced him with Mecha to convey that Eggy was still on the Death Egg and getting away while desperately throwing his minions at you.

2. XanXan

XanXan

XanIsBlue Member
    Speaking of Heroes, i actually remember playing the game on my ps2 along side sonic unleashed.

And, not gonna lie?

They were the shit for my 7 year old brain.

Sonic 3's Sonic looks like a plastic toy you get in McDonalds with the highlights he has

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2022
  3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Knuckles highlights are all over the place in 3, drives me nuts

4. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I always hated the sprites in that game and the highlights, especially on Knuckles, are a big reason why.
    I always found the JP Tidal Tempest music to be really... overdramatic? It's just Labyrinth Zone 2.0 with a bright color palette and everything, and the music implies all sorts of ambience and awe that the environment itself can never hope to capture.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I feel the Sonic 1 sprites did the highlights and shading the best. In fact, I'd say they had my favorite style in the classic games (Sonic's purple palette aside). Everything looked so vibrant. Sonic 2's sprites and palettes in general looked duller and less vibrant to me, especially from comparing Mashers and Buzzers to Choppers and Buzzbombers.

As for the Tidal Tempest music, I think it's supposed evoke a nostalgic feel to go with the ancient ruins theme.

6. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I love his sprite in 1. The color palette in general of the game greatly pleases me.
    Also, this weird quirk of Mania's Flying Battery has stuck in my head ever since release. A little overhang at the start of Act 2 changes texture in between act transitions. There's also this spike that totally implies that you can push it to uncover some sort of pipe to a secret, yet you can't.

7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Mecha's having fun both trolling you and using his boss' car while boss is not looking at. Then he notices he's being goofing around too much and gets serious only to notice serious Sonic is a better fighter.

The funniest thing of this all is that, while it can't fly, Mecha's good at falling from great heights and not break apart even when damaged, just like Sonic.

8. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Did you know Sonic Adventure has butterflies?
    [​IMG]

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Even though they may not seem like much today, I recall having my mind blown by all the details in the game's environments back in the day. The character models were fairly polygonal and awkwardly animated, but the devs went all out with the environments. The orca escape sequence was jaw-dropping for 1998.