NTSC Ikaruga on PAL Wii: video artefact, wut/halp?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by dsrb, Mar 24, 2012.

1. dsrb

dsrb

Turns out FreeLoader was killed waaaay back in System Menu 3.3, and downgrading from 4.3 to 3.2 (using DOP-Mii) didn't re-enable it at all. First off, I'd appreciate if anyone knows why that is, but anyway . . .

My legitimate American copy (no, really!) of Ikaruga looks fine via Gecko OS until it crashes upon game-start (due to some issue with streaming audio).

NeoGamma loads it and lets me play (with audio, too) but constantly displays a bar of flickering lines near the top of the screen, which looks exactly like what you'd get if that particular region wasn't interlaced properly - I.e. only every other line within the area is scanned (every other frame). The bar spans the entire horizontal distance of the screen; vertically, it covers maybe 1/8th of the total screen size.

This is on PAL 480i mode (I.e. PAL60), but forcing other modes only leads to the same problem (PAL50) and/or RED EVERYWHERE (NTSC*). NeoGamma's video hacks (helpfully named No/Normal/More/All) don't appear to do anything.

What do? FreeLoader worked fine on my previous Wii, if I remember correctly (which is "if" enough, I'll admit), but that option appears to have gone down the pan. What could cause this specific problem with the video, and is there any way around it? It's not quite the end of the world, but it still sucks. (If nothing can be done, I guess I'll just burn a CD for my forthcoming Dreamcast; hooray for hilariously easy piracy!)

Edit: pesky wordfilter capitalising my I.e.s

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    This is the gamecube version, right?

if so you'll need GC Backup launcher

3. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Have you adjusted your television correctly? If possible try it with a different tv.

4. Arique

Arique

How do I Sonic? Member
    Yeah, just use the GameCube Backup Launcher. Works like a charm.

5. dsrb

dsrb

I'll try that specific application, but I've tried numerous other launchers and got sub-par results of one kind or another, and this is an original disc rather than a backup.

6. SoullessSentinel

SoullessSentinel

Grimsby, England
    Cxbx-Reloaded
    If you can install StartPatch, you should be able to tell it to disable the Gamecube region checks. It includes patches for Region freeing Virtual Console, Disc Channel, Wii games, and Gamecube Mode. It worked for me with Wii discs, but I never tried the gamecube patches due to owning no imports for that system. It should be worth a shot though.

It only supports removing Gamecube region protection on System Menu 4.2/4.3, so ensure you're at least relatively up-to-date.