Notes for taking Genesis screenshots

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LocalH, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    wouldn't you like to know
    Super Guitar Hero II
    Yeah, but I was only referring to "pixel-perfect" Genesis screenshots, which by necessity require, at most, nearest-neighbor resampling. I'm arguing mostly against the use of the "stretch" function, which is basically a nearest-neighbor resize to 240 lines, which means that you have 16 lines that turn into two lines, making the image look unbalanced. I also present the fact that pixel-perfect screenshots will generally take up less space than one with any filters applied, whether it be linear interpolation or an advanced algorithm such as 2xSAI or hq?x. You can do whatever the hell you want, I just offer suggestions for what I consider to be the best way to take Genesis screenshots.

2. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The rendering code is actually as fast as it can get. It is the whole image processing, such as resizing sprites and moving them that takes longer time because 32 bits per pixel must be processed. In Gens, these stuff are done on 8 bit and 16 bit which are equal/more faster. The problem is, the 16 bit code will produce non-perfect color transformations. Taking a screenshot with Gens will take the shot from the 16 bit display which will give the green color a stronger value than red and blue. Something you can't see with your eyes only, but in an editor, you can't get the original palette. Not even the right $C00000 index order.

LOst Library is built to produce the right stuff. Slow or not, it is actually the only editor on Windows that shows the right palette color components.

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    It looked that way

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    That's pretty ignorant.

Also, can you PLEASE stop the one liners? It really annoys me that half the time you post these days, you're either complaining, bragging, or making completely redundant comments. Can you PLEASE start posting better now? I know you want a bigger postcount than Quick Man, but at least Quick Man makes consistently wholesome posts (Or at least they look that way, which is the point. =P).

5. Quickman

Quickman

Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Quick Man: The same posts, only more wholesome!*

*can contain dangerous levels of nuts

6. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    wouldn't you like to know
    Super Guitar Hero II
    Because Quick Man surely loves him some nuts. He'll eat them right up.

^_^

7. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Shitty? it's called interpolation, and shitty graphics cards don't support it. It's the higher end ones that do it ,and you can turn it off. =P

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Your problem and not mine.

As for Quick Man. We can all discuss his was of trying to reach 1000 post during a month. I simply am happy by being in the top 10 posters of todays.

I can't help you make so bad posts that I need to complain about them, or brag, or doing redundant comments like this post.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You are wrong. There is no way to turn that thing off. The newest graphics card has removed it because it looks shitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.