don't click here

Nomad Power Question

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by akirahedgehog, May 4, 2010.

1. I bought a Nomad a year ago but it did not include the powerpack needed to store the six AA batteries. I'm wondering if it would be possible to wire a standard Nine-volt battery to the two terminals in the back of the Nomad to power it? The back of the Nomad states it runs off 9V 3.5 Watts but I'm still not sure if I'll break it somehow. Thanks!

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Considering those powerpacks take six AA batteries, 9V should be fine. Of course, it works with rechargeable batteries as well, which is only 7.2V total, so there's certainly a lot of play in the voltage you can supply the Nomad.

Now, do you mean one of those small rectangular 9V volt batteries, or the whopping huge 9V lantern batteries? The small kind probably won't last long. Not nearly enough amp-hours to keep it going long. I'd probably wire at least two 9V batteries in parallel for more amps.

3. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I made the Nomad portable with the AC adapter. I got an outlet that hooks into a cigarette lighter of my mom's car and plugged the AC adapter into that. I'm such a sleazy devil at times. :v:

4. Amethyst

Amethyst

Doesn't having an adaptor defeat the object of making it portable?

5. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    9V one will last an hour max probably... if I could, I would use 8 batteries with nomad, or 10. I don't know how high voltage Noamd will accept, I don't think more than 16V.

6. Yes I was referring to the small rectangular kind so I'll run to the store quick and get some and tell you if it works!

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    If you want to make it last longer you need to get rid of the backlight tube and use something else, really.

And hi there!

8. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Not quite because I'm riding in a car with it. As in it is plugged in to my car's cigarette lighter outlet peripheral. As a result, I can ride in the car and have a seemingly endless power supply. Saves battery power and still makes the Nomad feel portable.

9. Amethyst

Amethyst

That's cool, but after a while I'd get pissed off with the Nomad freezing all the time.
    Mine likes to crash/freeze if I move it too suddenly. Not sure if it's a common fault or just a design flaw.

10. I tried your idea with a DC adapter I used for my portable DVD player. Worked great and I also used an AUX cable to connect the Nomad's sound to my cars stereo. It was really awesome with Sonic 2! :)

11. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    Just a suggestion: don't do it while driving! XD

The thing I used looks like a single wall outlet with a Cigarette lighter attachment on the end. I just plugged my Nomad into that thing and it was epic win! They're pretty cheap too. I think the one I've got was only about 20 bucks. I've saw them at my local Wal-Mart (which is where I got mine from.) in the electronics department so not only is it a cheap alternative to modding the LEDs in your Nomad and saving you some money on Batteries but it is also a moderately portable power supply for the Nomad. it also means that you won't have to worry about the screen being so damn bright that it wastes battery power.

Now, I still use the battery pack for outdoor settings or areas where a wall outlet/Cigarette outlet aren't readily available.

While this solves one problem with the Nomad, the Screen blurring thing is a whole other issue. The Gameboy Color had some motion blurring problems at times but everybody played it. The motion blurring can be a bit of a piss off at first but eventually, you can get used to it if you play the Nomad enough. I know I did.

Another cool advantage to having a Nomad is that it is pretty easy to region mod. (even more so than a Genesis Model 1.) It also can fit Japanese games into the cartridge slot though getting them out is a bit of a hassle due to the grooves on the JP carts getting caught on the edges of the the cartridge port inside.

The moving the Nomad around causing the game to freeze is a problem. Yeah, I have to deal with it some times. Mainly when I play lock-on game or play a Japanese game and have to use a Game Genie to bypass the region locking.

I wish someone could make the Nomad a portable Sega CD peripheral or a portable 32X peripheral for that matter. Screw 32X CD because it didn't have any good games and it would be difficult to have both simultaneously.

12. The screen blurring bothered me a little a first but it didn't take long for me to learn to ignore it. Has anyone ever tried replacing the screen with a modern LCD? I've also used my Japanese copy of Sonic 1 on the Nomad before so I know the awesomeness of it's regional abilities. What exactly prevents the Nomad from using a 32X other than the physical conditions?

13. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I replaced the backlight tube and inverter set with some LEDS and it looks great - and off a regular old 9V battery I get a good solid 4-5 hours on it! With a proper battery pack it could easily get around 8.

If anyone want to buy my LED modded nomad, I have like 3 lying around.