don't click here

No More Backbone Sonic games ever?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Nora Kisaragi, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

http://ign.com/articles/2012/10/09/death-jr-dev-faces-closure

Guess those ports weren't as successful as they should have been?

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    California's economy may be contributing to that too.

3. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

The sad thing is that Backbone will be remembered for the poor ports, rather than the stunning job they did with the Rivals games, which were far better than their Rush counterparts. Unique levels with multiple routes and paths, stories that hadn't been done before, and the first effective implementation of 2.5D in Sonic.

4. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Except Rivals was a couple of mediocre racing games that, when you strip away the racing aspect, are even worse if you try to play them as traditional Sonic games, and they made Sonic 06's continuity snarl SO MUCH WORSE, not to mention the first game could not possibly exist in canon due to how it's structured. Extremely overrated, and complete shit compared to the Rush games. Backbone will not be missed, as far as I'm concerned.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    but they gave us race to win so those games can't be that bad surely

6. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I'm going to be honest, I legitimately can't tell if you're serious or not. From what I've played of both of them, the controls and physics make Sonic 4: Episode 1 look like the classics by comparison. I did like some of the levels from a visual standpoint though.

The Rush games are of debatable quality (personally I think Rush was banished to the pit of mediocrity by its awful level design, but Rush Adventure mostly solved that problem and is quite enjoyable, if not extremely memorable, as a result) but I'll be honest that I'm legitimately shocked that anyone would enjoy Rivals as much as you seem to, if I'm not getting trolled.

As far as the rest of their studio, I always was disappointed about their sole truly original franchise, Death Jr., being as mediocre as it was. I loved the concept. Their emulations are mostly horrible though. I won't miss those.

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I feel for all the people who will end up jobless. But the fact that this means no more terrible Backbone ports is great news.

They are.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Actually it might be confusing, but it definitely does fit in to canon & I'll explain if it's needed.

Backbone haven't exactly been pulling their weight have they? Just some ports and a few odd games here or there.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Rush states that Nega is Eggman's dimensional counterpart from Blaze's dimension

Rivals says that Nega is Eggman's descendant from re-introduced Silver's future.

Now I will assume that at the end of '06 Blaze ends up going to whatever the hell dimension Sonic Rush Adventure is. But please explain whatever you are going to explain, unless you are just going to say that he's Eggman's descendant that somehow found his way into the Rush Adventure dimension while also still being a criminal in Silver's new future somehow.

10. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Actually, when I said "the first game cannot fit into canon", it's because it has four entirely irreconcilable endings with no actual indication of what the true ending is.

11. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Blaze from the future being pushed into Rush's dimension via Timeline A, despite it being rewritten to never happen, does not mean she does not get pushed into the other dimension; rewriting a timeline means more of a splitting-off of timeline, so in effect the corrected Timeline is now Timeline B; further compounded with the other dimension running on its own frame of time/timeline in itself, this is where it all gets lovely and allows the possibility of Eggy Nega being from the future who hates Eggman to a dimensional counterpart who just sees him as a means to an end to rule everything and is insane enough to want to destroy everything when it doesn't go right. Hell, just him trying to understand the whole concept would probably make him insane enough to do all that. + - I can actually explain it a lot better than this, but I'm at work right now and lazy.  

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Would actually appreciate it. I've always been curious about how they resolved the timeline shit, even though all that is what makes me hate the Sonic canon from 06 onward.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    In a nutshell? Well... people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

+ - I'm SORRY  

Basically every time time is changed, a new timeline is created - you basically jump from one possible future to another. If Nega gets thrown to the new reality as a result of a time shift to a timeline that removes the old one from existence, the old one not existing any more somewhat explains the continuity problem.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVW-S9JkKA
    Never be sorry for a Doctor Who quote :v:

I never played the Rivals titles, as I never owned a PSP, but their ports were generally speaking rather abysmal. Now that they can license the Retro Engine, Sega really doesn't have any need of them anyway, and if anything, this may push them towards better ports now that they have one less choice of porters.

I would never wish harm on employees of a company, no matter how "meh" they were, with the economy being what it is. Hope the best to their employees, and I also hope this means Sega utilizing the Retro Engine more.

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Meh, I liked Rivals. Beats Rush and of course, it's still more enjoyable than Sonic 4.

Rush Adventure does shit all over it though.

16. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    A lot of their emulation efforts go toward those fighting game re-releases and collections. If there's one thing they've arguably done very well at, it's their plethora of Street Fighter ports. Some of which include Puzzle Fighter HD, Super Street Fighter 2 HD, Marvel VS. Capcom for digital services, Street Fighter III, even Final Fight Double Impact.

Seriously, one of their producers is one of the heads for Evo and has tutorial videos for Super Street Fighter 2 nested in Capcom Classics Collection 2.

I kind of wish they kept that attention to detail for all their releases, and it's unfortunate that this is where they wound up but still, there have been other developers like M2 who are capable of putting together much more respectable releases for these older games.

We can also thank them for a number of those arcade ports. Ninja Turtles, X-Men, Simpsons Arcade. Your awful netcode sure won't be missed..

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Did someone explain the timeline yet? No? Well you can read my previous post here which basically explains it all, and then other people also added stuff to put the icing on the cake afterward:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=28093&st=105

18. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    I thought the Rivals games were okay, not that good but not that bad, and the only ports Backbone are good at porting were Arcade Games, Console Games like the Genesis however...yeah those are pretty poor ports.

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Seconded like a mofo. Always had a soft spot for the Rivals.

Also, Re: Eggman Nega, while SpeedStarTMQ and Flynn pretty much have it downpacked, there's also the fact that Nega is generally an insane lying manipulative asshole. There's a good chance he's lying about his origins in either one set of games, or both of them.