don't click here

Nintendo Wii + Component Cable = Random blackouts...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Jul 13, 2009.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    So, I decided to buy an official component cable for my Wii. Seemed like a good idea, to experience my Wii at the peak of it's prowess...
    And that lasted for about 2 minutes. Allow me to explain.

I connected up the cable. Set my wii to 480p. Set the TV to 480p. Put in a game that runs 480p (Mario Galaxy).
    And success, until a flash of colour or white fades to black happens, which cuts out the connection for about 2 seconds.
    So, I thought to try out my trusty Gamecube Game, Sonic Mega Collection and the same thing happens. It cuts out every time I press the Z button to bring up the menu or if I play the Sonic 3 title screen.

So, I went and swapped the lead for another official component lead; same problem.
    I tried it on the TV in the living room and it doesn't cut out. But I tried it on my brother's TV and it does cut out.

So, I'm confused. Are both cables faulty? Is the Wii's component connection not 100% compatible with all TV's?
    Or is it something else?
    That's why I'm posting this here. Has anyone else ever had this? If so, how'd you sort it out? Or is it an ongoing problem with no solution?

(I apologize for the ammount of questions and if this is in the wrong place, would someone mind moving it? Many thanks)

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    It's a bad cable, get it replaced. This happened to my X360 with HDMI.

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

I don't think so. I went and got another one. Same problem.

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    For whatever reason, TV manufacturers love using really shitty decoders. Blanking out when receiving a very bright signal is a symptom of a shitty decoder.

Try using it on a different TV and see if the same thing happens.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

So, I checked and the brand of both my brother's and my TV is a Wharfedale. And they both cut out with a bright signal, as you suggested.
    So, it seems that I have only 2 options.
    1) Use my scart lead, and live with the picture I have been using for the past year or so
    2) Get a new TV :v:

Unfortunately, 2) seems to be the out of the question right now, so I'll have to resort to 1).
    Thanks anyway.

6. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Is it RGB Scart? RGB Scart imo is almost as good looking as component... although you don't get progressive scan.

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

I'm unsure what sort of scart, but it's a red, yellow and white wire into a scart mini-box that fits into the scart socket.
    It just looks blurry and washed out when I use it compared to the component cable. Meh, at least it's better than losing the whole picture for 2 seconds on a regular basis.
    I'm gonna invest in a new TV, I reckon. Just need to get the money first.

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yellow, white and red are composite :P Looks like it's outputting composite, then getting converted to something else... No wonder it looks like shit.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    SCART supports composite video in addition to RGB, so that's merely a passthrough adapter that connects composite. You can get an official Wii SCART cable, which provides an actual RGB signal.

10. This might sound kind of dumb but... are you sure your tv supports 480P?

11. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Before you do that, get one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Official-...9218&sr=8-2

RGB Scart is excellent (as I said, about as good as Component except it doesn't support progressive scan). I'd take some pictures or something to show the difference, but CRTs always come out badly in photos...

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    That is fitted as standard on many consoles here in Europe such as the SNES, PS1, PS2 & GC. Only Sega supplied real SCART as standard for Saturn and DC.

As some other posters already mentioned, what you have is not SCART. The add-on piece is just to make it fit into a SCART slot but the signal remains composite. You could simply remove that piece and put the jacks into composite supported TVs.
    And yes, please get what Ultima posted, those are the real goods.

13. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

My TV supports up to 720p, so I don't think it should be a problem.

And thanks Ultima. I'm gonna consider getting what you suggested. Thanks also to Sith for confirming this as a good idea.

14. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    On a very similar note to this, I got an official component cable for my Wii so I could use it on the HDTV in the living room. However, after changing toe input on the TV to something else (like the cable box or DVD player) then going back to the Wii, it doesn't output ANY video or sound. It won't output anything using the regular cables, either. The only way to make my Wii work correctly again is to bring it into the basement and hook it back up to my old TV, and power it on.

What the hell is going on here?

15. Flygon

Flygon

Incidentally, my Wii only appears to be outputting greyscale component to my old CRT TV, I mainly suspect my circuitry in the CRT is just plain old broken though. Mainly because my Plasma detects it perfectly.

You are probably suffering the same problem Techokami, but to a significantly larger extent.