don't click here

New Tom Payne interview

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    On July 30th Tom Payne dropped into some irc chat and answered questions. Not too much groundbreaking info, but some of it is new. Read the chat log <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Tom Payne interview by SageXPO (July 30, 2009)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Tom Payne interview by SageXPO (July 30, 2009)</a>. It does end on a positive note as Tom Payne said he may scan some stuff and pass it on to the community.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Random tidbits from this interview:
    - Possibility that "Genocide City" was a Japanese-assigned name resulting from misunderstanding of the word's name; it was changed to Cyber City later on (so Cyber City wasn't just an earlier name)
    - Confirmation that the scrapping of Hidden Palace and other levels was due to time constraints and not space constraints (as if we didn't know this already)
    - Possibility of learning the real name for Winter Zone (!!!)
    - He's willing to get the disks sent to someone to try and extract them
    - Confirmation that The Machine used old level art from Cyber City
    - Some other shit that I can't think of right now

Very cool stuff! I've just sent Tom a followup email about the box he said he'll be scanning materials for. Hopefully we'll be able to feast our eyes on it soon. :)

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Sounds pretty cool. I hope it'll be interesting stuff he puts up :)

I can't believe he lives in Sonoma. I'm like less than an hour from there!

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Ah, sounds like a good deal. Hope he comes through.

Though he'll never read this, I wish to offer Payne thanks for stopping by.

5. Master3k

Master3k

Nice interview and nice job interviewing.

I REALLY hope he scans some Cyber City stuff. And finally the possiblity of stop calling the winter-like zone "Winter Hill"...great.

6. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I really hope we get new stuff from this.

If you remember last year's SAGE, we're still waiting on those MIDIs from Chris/Howard Drossin - unless I missed something. :\

7. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Newfound Potential Member
    Like everyone else, I can't wait to see what he scans, but odds are, it won't be anything mind-blowing, but interesting to see nonetheless.

It's interesting to know that he did the art for quite a few of the scrapped badniks.

8. Here's hoping for Dust Hill Zone art/level layouts on those disks. :D

9. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    This is interesting. Damn, it's great that you guys who organised the SAGE 2009 could contact and invite someone who has been important in the developement of Sonic 2 :)

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Is anything known about what might be on the disks? To me, that sounds the most interesting so far.

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    This is cool! I'd love to see some Genocide/Cyber City level designs!

12. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Uploaded to wiki yesterday; will add cross-references later.

EDIT - derp. MathUser's link does it. The cross-references section counts.

13. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I'll offer my person and skills for the archival of the disks. I know my job pretty well, but of course it's up to the person whoever is maintaining the correspondence.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    During the same XPO there was 2 more interviews. The lengthy Mike Pollock interview: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Mike Pollock interview by Sage XPO (July 29, 2009)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Mike Pollock interview by Sage XPO (July 29, 2009)</a> and the much shorter Spencer Nilsen interview <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Spencer Nilsen interview by SageXPO (July 30, 2009)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Spencer Nilsen interview by SageXPO (July 30, 2009)</a>

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but was he supposed to have got everything by now? Hopefully this doesn't end up like those Chris/Howard Drossin MIDI's as mentioned above.

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, although bear into mind that Drossin say that he may have those MIDIs (read: he doesn't know) and that he may would have sent those. Also the interview with Payne was much better than the interview with Drossin (seriously, Drossin got attacked by lots of guys wanting to advertise their own remixes :S).

But yeah, we'll see.

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Well, I'm assuming the worst with this one. :( No news from Tom anymore I presume?

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I got a response from him a few days after my follow-up, but it doesn't seem like he's gone about scanning anything yet. I may send him another message later today in order to see what's going on, or if he's even still interested in sharing anything.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ask him to register, after all he wouldn't be the first developer who does so.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    But then his career would be ruined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.