don't click here

New Tom Payne interview

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Those Badnik concepts are just wonderful. Simple, creative, and nothing too complex. Just lovely.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    <!--quoteo(post=361845:date=Oct 14 2009, 10:11 PM:name=Quexinos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quexinos @ Oct 14 2009, 10:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361845">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Weren't Dust Hill and the Winter zone just supposed to be a pallet switch? And Hill top is a pallet switch of Green Hill isn't it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, not quite. There's a little bit of graphical data that gets loaded for Hill Top on top of a couple Emerald Hill's patterns; however, roughly speaking that's about correct; most of the art is in fact the exact same resources with just a different palette loaded.

I'm highly inclined to believe the other two zones would probably have done something similar.

3. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Oh god it isn't over <3

4. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    I seriously busted a gut laughing.

Oh sirry Asia.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://xkeeper.sonicretro.org/payne/obstacles.JPG" target="_blank">http://xkeeper.sonicretro.org/payne/obstacles.JPG</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hydrocity Zone?

6. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    On the list where it lists "Green Hill", "Chemical Factory", etc. I noticed those levels were all in the drx beta except the last three (Oil Ocean and Desert/Ice), maybe they were developed next? Also, in all of the lists I see the infamous Desert Zone, I never see its "real" name (Dust Hill.) It makes me kinda skeptical on whether or not that was the actual intended name.

Also, Tom, if you watch this thread, I hope you know I think you're awesome for spending your time satisfying the fanbase's curiosity. <3

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=361912:date=Oct 15 2009, 03:04 AM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Oct 15 2009, 03:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361912">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://xkeeper.sonicretro.org/payne/obstacles.JPG" target="_blank">http://xkeeper.sonicretro.org/payne/obstacles.JPG</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Hydrocity Zone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I actually thought in Chrome Gadget but that works too.

<!--quoteo(post=361934:date=Oct 15 2009, 05:48 AM:name=Toasty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Oct 15 2009, 05:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361934">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the list where it lists "Green Hill", "Chemical Factory", etc. I noticed those levels were all in the drx beta except the last three (Oil Ocean and Desert/Ice), maybe they were developed next? Also, in all of the lists I see the infamous Desert Zone, I never see its "real" name (Dust Hill.) It makes me kinda skeptical on whether or not that was the actual intended name.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well, many of the levels didn't have their real name at the beginning, and that list seems to be very early. I mean, Secret Palace, anyone?

8. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=361845:date=Oct 14 2009, 07:11 PM:name=Quexinos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quexinos @ Oct 14 2009, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361845">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Weren't Dust Hill and the Winter zone just supposed to be a pallet switch? And Hill top is a pallet switch of Green Hill isn't it? It looks like maybe they were planning that with Oil Ocean and Hidden Palace. They seem to be connected somehow.

And well:
    <a href="http://xkeeper.sonicretro.org/payne/gczconcepts.JPG" target="_blank">http://xkeeper.sonicretro.org/payne/gczconcepts.JPG</a>
    If there were still any nay sayers that GCZ and Cyber City were the same that should end that right there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Barely a concept. I can't really tell what those are supposed to be.

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Random not-very-tangible ideas also count as concept.

10. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes
    <!--quoteo(post=362181:date=Oct 15 2009, 05:56 PM:name=Commadoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commadoo @ Oct 15 2009, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362181">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Barely a concept. I can't really tell what those are supposed to be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't either ... but it does kind of look like there's a "transformation" occurring. "Simple pipe to badass steampunk pipe." What I'm wondering is why there was transformation going on ... level reuse or time travel leftovers perhaps?

And I think all Nique was commenting on anyway is the fact that both names appear on the page, had nothing to do with the other scrawls.

11. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=362301:date=Oct 15 2009, 10:28 PM:name=Rob Jinnai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob Jinnai @ Oct 15 2009, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362301">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=362181:date=Oct 15 2009, 05:56 PM:name=Commadoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commadoo @ Oct 15 2009, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362181">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Barely a concept. I can't really tell what those are supposed to be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't either ... but it does kind of look like there's a "transformation" occurring. "Simple pipe to badass steampunk pipe." What I'm wondering is why there was transformation going on ... level reuse or time travel leftovers perhaps?

And I think all Nique was commenting on anyway is the fact that both names appear on the page, had nothing to do with the other scrawls.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think that's a literal gameplay element drawn there. I think it's probably notes or suggestions on making an otherwise common item or shape look more 'mechanical.'

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

often the real thing™ Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    It's wiki time. There's no need to be afraid.
    <!--quoteo(post=361934:date=Oct 15 2009, 03:48 AM:name=Toasty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Oct 15 2009, 03:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361934">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the list where it lists "Green Hill", "Chemical Factory", etc. I noticed those levels were all in the drx beta except the last three (Oil Ocean and Desert/Ice), maybe they were developed next? Also, in all of the lists I see the infamous Desert Zone, I never see its "real" name (Dust Hill.) It makes me kinda skeptical on whether or not that was the actual intended name.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tails' ability to fly was thought up fairly early on but as we can see he wasn't physically able to until half the levels were more-or-less complete. Doesn't mean they came up with the concept after the Simon Wai beta.

All these scans come from a very early design phase, and lots of things were scrapped, modified or put on hold. Oil Ocean may have been next, but there's no guarantee. I mean there's no mention of Aquatic Ruin Zone and that's playable in the Simon Wai prototype through normal gameplay (unike Oil Ocean)

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

<!--quoteo(post=357102:date=Oct 3 2009, 07:55 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Oct 3 2009, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=357102">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow... those Sonic guide illustrations are pure win. There's so much expression in those pieces of art, and it reminds me about triple-fold how the classic Sonic design really is timeless and really is adorable and hardcore at the same time.

If anything, Sega needs to be looking at those sheets when making Needlemouse. I mean it. Sega, listen to me: make Sonic like that again, please. =3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This post is full of truth. This design is just lovely and charming. And I like Sonic's Unleashed model.

14. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    <!--quoteo(post=357102:date=Oct 3 2009, 07:55 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Oct 3 2009, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=357102">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow... those Sonic guide illustrations are pure win. There's so much expression in those pieces of art, and it reminds me about triple-fold how the classic Sonic design really is timeless and really is adorable and hardcore at the same time.

If anything, Sega needs to be looking at those sheets when making Needlemouse. I mean it. Sega, listen to me: make Sonic like that again, please. =3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Does that mean completely reverting to the classic Sonic style, or giving the modern Sonic style the same range of expressions? IMHO the only things that changed between the two in terms of design is that
    -Sonic is taller
    -His eyes have a green iris
    -Longer spines
    That's it. How do those factors prevent the animators from making Sonic as expressive as that sheet?

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I think it's the expressions and cuteness, perhaps. His belly is almost round already in his Unleashed model and the only visible differences is the body head ratio and longer legs.

16. subsonic

subsonic

Anyone want more scans of random things?

t

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Yes please. :)

18. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Yes please!

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=362684:date=Oct 16 2009, 07:35 PM:name=Techokami)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techokami @ Oct 16 2009, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362684">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=357102:date=Oct 3 2009, 07:55 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Oct 3 2009, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=357102">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow... those Sonic guide illustrations are pure win. There's so much expression in those pieces of art, and it reminds me about triple-fold how the classic Sonic design really is timeless and really is adorable and hardcore at the same time.

If anything, Sega needs to be looking at those sheets when making Needlemouse. I mean it. Sega, listen to me: make Sonic like that again, please. =3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Does that mean completely reverting to the classic Sonic style, or giving the modern Sonic style the same range of expressions? IMHO the only things that changed between the two in terms of design is that
    -Sonic is taller
    -His eyes have a green iris
    -Longer spines
    That's it. How do those factors prevent the animators from making Sonic as expressive as that sheet?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH AND JUSTICE!

There's no reason modern Sonic can't be as expressive as the classic one. None at all.

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=364508:date=Oct 21 2009, 11:29 PM:name=subsonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subsonic @ Oct 21 2009, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364508">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone want more scans of random things?

t<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I think Tweaker and OSM already said my answer... :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.