don't click here

New Sonic arcade machine of some sort

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RyogaMasaki, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Cross posting this from the cult, the more people who might know about it, the better.

Boy, these just keep popping up, don't they?

[​IMG]

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e60411903

Apparently, it's called Sonic Space Tours. The description really doesn't say much of anything, but from the looks of it, it's probably a prize machine (which means little to no actual gameplay, let alone actually Sonic related). I can find ABSOLUTELY no info on google about it, so if anyone knows anything, lemme know!

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Looksa kinda like a UFO catcher to me.
    rly, look at those two slots on the bottom.

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Yeah. That almost has to be a UFO Catcher.

4. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Thanks for the input!

5. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    [​IMG]
    I bet it's a prize machine.

In all seriousness, it's a little hard to tell, a better shot of the inside would DEFINITELY help. I've never seen this before, so I'm afraid I can't help much. :\

6. If it's a prize machine, where is the joy stick to move the claw? This might be a different kind of machine than I've seen before, but usually there is a joy stick somewhere on there.

7. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    On the contrary, many prize machines have you hit a button to stop the cran moving horizontally, and then again vertically.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Looks fairly old, around 1993-1994 or so. Maybe a bit earlier, since it doesn't feature Knuckles, but that's just a rough guess either way.

Can't I've ever seen one, myself, but I suppose that goes without saying. I might be able to ask a friend of mine who's currently in Japan, though.

9. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    The art on the front looks VERY Sonic 2, so 1993 is probably the best bet.

10. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    If you look closely, it looks kinda like a circular thing inside. Since there's only two buttons, I'm guessing it's one of those things where a light spins around, and you have to have it stop on a certain thing to win it. Probably space themed. =P

The description mentions 'super bowl' in the description; call it a hunch, but I don't think they mean the American Super Bowl. Actually, thinking about it, that thing inside is a bit dome shaped isn't it? Maybe it's designed to be a planetarium kinda thing? THe art on the bottom is Sonic and Tails with a telescope after all..

11. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    That picture of Sonic and Tails intrigues me. Is that art unique to the machine, or should I be recognizing it from somewhere?

More important, what are they doing? To me, it looks like Sonic's holding a telescope or something similar.

12. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    I'd say that's definatly a telescope, sitting on a tripod. Sonic also has his hand over his eyes as he is looking up into the sky.

13. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I agree with this. Makes way too much sence.

14. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    There's a picture of Sonic + Tails with a telescope in the Sonic screensaver, which I was going to post for comparison, but I can't seem to find my S&K PC disk. Hmm.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    relax, I could find mine :P

[​IMG]

(way to waste my 3rd post)

16. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Without seeing the machine powered up, it's very hard to tell what sort of game it would actually be. It could be something where a light spins round, or could have a TV monitor thing underneath the dome (where the 'game' would be played). The large opening seems to suggest that prizes would come out of the machine itself, rather than redemption tickets.

On a related note, I used to play the Sonic & Tails Spinner at my local arcade; ticket redemption game. You'd stop Sonic from spinning first, then Tails - the tickets paid out was based on what number Sonic's finger ended up pointing at, and the multiplier Tails ended up pointing at. It also played SA1 music:

While spinning: Twinkle Circuit
    Win few tickets: Big Miss (unused in SA1!)
    Win significant number of tickets: Chao Race Results
    Win large number of tickets: Action Stage Complete
    Win jackpot: Extend (unused in SA1!)

I frequently got 50 X 10 = 500 tickets, often causing the machine to do an 'out of tickets' error ;)

Edit: I've just had a good look at the picture, using image enhancement techniques, and from what I can see - there appears to be a ring of LEDs under the dome, which are split up into 'zones'. I'm guessing that the light spins round and you have to stop it - depending on which zone the light stops on, you get a certain number of points. Get a certain number of points and you win prizes, or possibly it may pay out coins!

17. Linolium

Linolium

Pending Member
    Hi all, I had to register and post on this topic. I think I know what that big bubble thing might be. I don't how how arcade savy you guys are, but around the early 90's sega created some "hologram" games. One example is Time Traveler. That dome could be a one of the mirror holographic things sega used for this type of game. Just a thought :(.

Peace all,
    -Linolium

18. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    I was thinking the same thing, actually. It obviously gives out some kind of a prize if you win to boot due to the door at the bottom, but I wonder what kind of prize... maybe a Sonic plushie or something. *shrugs* Or you may get Candy or something, like the Sonic Popcorn arcade game.

19. Hah, as it happens, the Sonic screensaver actually had two different pieces of art featuring Sonic and Tails messing around with a telescope. Here's the one we're looking for:

[​IMG]

Good memory, Ryoga!

As for being one of those holographic FMV machines, I really sincerely doubt this. I think such a machine would have had far less of a chance of slipping through the cracks into obscurity like this machine did. I guess stranger things have happened, but I'm still inclined to believe this is just another lame token-sink ticket-pushing deal. Not any sort of real video game.

Interesting find, anywho.

20. Pinkerton

Pinkerton

Lord Dingleberry Handpump, OBE Oldbie
    It's got a colored ring around that dome, prize machine. Has to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.