don't click here

New Sonic 1 proto shot

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shoemanbundy, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I looked at the wiki first and didn't see this shot so hope this isn't old. I got it from a Chinese magazine called Dian Shi You Le Bao Dao(TV Game Report).

[​IMG]

Still searching through stuff so I hope there's a chance there's more.

2. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Nice. Looks like it's from a proto we already know of, but it's still pretty cool. I have not seen this particular pic before, but then again, I'm not very good at noticing things like that.

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Well I ran out of magazines and found no other shots :(

One interesting this is that thing right next to Sonic, it looks like the same thing as seen here <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/File:SYZ-Sparkling8.JPG" target="_blank">http://info.sonicretro.org/File:SYZ-Sparkling8.JPG</a>
    Maybe it changed color like a neon light. Seems this zone had way too much going on back then, with all those sparkles and now flashing lights.

Last thing just for kicks, they had this awful image of Sonic in one issue.
    [​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nice, but was the picture quality really that bad or was it the scanner's fault? Looks like a minimal compression JPG.

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Well, it's not my scan. It's pretty high resolution but yeah, it was JPG. I think another reason it looks so bad is all shots in this section looked like they were taken off a tv.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That's how it used to be done back in those days. When publishing about games, it wasn't uncommon to take pictures of the TV with the game running to use in publications. You see it quite a lot in the 80s and early 90s.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I mean, even the black frame also looks blurry/deformed, and that's not part of the pic itself.

Any chances of a rescan without so much JPG compression, please?

8. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    <!--quoteo(post=472738:date=Jun 27 2010, 02:04 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Jun 27 2010, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472738">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any chances of a rescan without so much JPG compression, please?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=472730:date=Jun 27 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Shoemanbundy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shoemanbundy @ Jun 27 2010, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472730">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, it's not my scan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now, the obvious implication here would be that he found it on the internet, probably on some long-dead Chinese website

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    The site's still alive and stuff is posted every so often. I don't think I can get the guy to take another shot though, everyone on the site is real slow at getting anything done. I don't see the real problem, the original shot in the magazine isn't good quality to begin with, ad that with the texture of the paper of such an old magazine and that's probably as good as it's gonna look. Unless the black space is really that important? =P

10. Holy crap, that's awesome. I really hope we find a Sonic 1 proto. It will probably never happen though. :(

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

often the real thing™ Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    It's wiki time. There's no need to be afraid.
    might be the poor scan quality but
    [​IMG]
    background spotlight?

12. Lodmot

Lodmot

USA
    Xtremely Sonic Engine
    That's pretty awesome. :3
    I can't help but wonder what the very first prototype build of Sonic 1 looked like.

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    <!--quoteo(post=472718:date=Jun 27 2010, 03:39 AM:name=Shoemanbundy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shoemanbundy @ Jun 27 2010, 03:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472718">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last thing just for kicks, they had this awful image of Sonic in one issue.
    [​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was this from the same Chinese magazine or was it from somewhere else? ;)

14. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    <!--quoteo(post=473151:date=Jun 28 2010, 12:21 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Jun 28 2010, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473151">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->might be the poor scan quality but
    [​IMG]
    background spotlight?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could be a reflection from off the TV screen. If you look at some of the foreground, it's even got a similar effect going on.

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    <!--quoteo(post=473333:date=Jun 28 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Scarred Sun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarred Sun @ Jun 28 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473333">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=472718:date=Jun 27 2010, 03:39 AM:name=Shoemanbundy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shoemanbundy @ Jun 27 2010, 03:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472718">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last thing just for kicks, they had this awful image of Sonic in one issue.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chinese magazine. I was looking around for issues of Beep! Megadrive and found one with that as a cover, so no doubt the Chinese magazine just stole it :P

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    <!--quoteo(post=473534:date=Jun 29 2010, 06:25 PM:name=Shoemanbundy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shoemanbundy @ Jun 29 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473534">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=473333:date=Jun 28 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Scarred Sun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarred Sun @ Jun 28 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473333">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=472718:date=Jun 27 2010, 03:39 AM:name=Shoemanbundy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shoemanbundy @ Jun 27 2010, 03:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472718">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last thing just for kicks, they had this awful image of Sonic in one issue.

Chinese magazine. I was looking around for issues of Beep! Megadrive and found one with that as a cover, so no doubt the Chinese magazine just stole it :P

That's what I was interested in, seeing as that was definitely in Beep! Megadrive. However, that's a bit heartening—if these Chinese magazines go for cheaper than the ridiculous markup on Beep! copies nowadays.

17. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Added to the wiki.

18. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Yeah, that asshole on eBay selling Beep copies at $44 each is just ridiculous. We've never once got a scan of first previews of any Sonic game from Japanese magazines, imagine how many unseen shots are probably waiting. At those prices we'll probably never get scans though :(

19. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    <!--quoteo(post=473576:date=Jun 30 2010, 03:32 AM:name=Shoemanbundy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shoemanbundy @ Jun 30 2010, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=473576">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, that asshole on eBay selling Beep copies at $44 each is just ridiculous. We've never once got a scan of first previews of any Sonic game from Japanese magazines, imagine how many unseen shots are probably waiting. At those prices we'll probably never get scans though :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Patience is a virtue. We can only hope that somebody puts up some copies for a much better price...unless one of us miraculously won the lottery. :colbert:

Although that Sonic drawing does look somewhat sub-par, it does fit with the psychedelic styling of the concept drawings for Sonic 1. Not bad at all, despite the incorrect proportions.

20. Ugh, that picture is hideous. His quills are all out of proportion, his eyes and nose look strange, his inner ear is blue, and worst of all, his left arm is attached to him at the hip. He also looks fat.

Everything else in the image just looks...out of place, except what I think is supposed to be a Chaos Emerald at the tip of his finger, there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.