don't click here

New pirate rom dumps

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Shoemanbundy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I got a couple of my undumped Genesis pirates dumped recently, so thought I'd share here.

Tiny Toon Adventures 3 More info: http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Tiny_Toon_Adventures_3
    Thanks to andlabs for cracking the protection in this one.

Power Rangers Fighitng Edition Port of the SNES game.
    Patched rom, thanks to Eke for fixing this one.

Hope somebody finds these interesting =P

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Glad to see more dumps (and to have helped with cracking Tiny Toon Adventures 3) :)

Would you mind (for preservation's sake) posting the clean ROMs as well as the instructions Eke gaveyou for getting Power Rangers to work so I can add that to this? Thanks.

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Sure.
    Tiny Toons 3 Clean Rom
    Code to get it working on emus(since you made the code I suppose you know this already... :P)
    002C36:4E71
    002C38:4E71

Power Rangers clean ROM
    codes:
    00065D2E:6000 ; bypass a first check
    00065D3A:070A ; fixes internal checksum so it matches original value

000661FC:6000 ; bypass a second check
    00066208:070A ; fixes internal checksum so it matches original value

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Thanks for these!

The Tiny Toons 3 is actually a little fun, but also a little frustrating.

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    It'd be neat if someone could do a VGM rip of the game, since I know some pirates like Lion King II and Squirrel King had unused tracks in them, so maybe this game does to. Wish I could figure out how to do it myself, short of just doing simple VGM logging in an emulator.

Oh and I like the music in the 4th level so it needs a good rip ;)

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I also had a try at documenting MD pirate copy protections back in 2005, so you might want to give this a read.

7. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    More bootleg efforts :P. They're kinda interesting to see, because of how they pull of some things and how much they suck :P. Well, I am not saying all bootlegs suck, but that many of them are crap.
    The Tiny Toons game has poor controls. It's like it keeps on walking for like 1 second after I release the button. I think they wanted to pull off the momentum thingy where you character slows down after release instead of just stopping dead on its tracks, but they didn't pull it off correctly at all.
    The Power Rangers game is not bad actually. I don't know how close to the original version it is, but it's quite good to be honest.

And now for something completely different:
    Can anyone tell me why do pirate games use copy protection? Most importantly, the poor quality of some of these games make it so not many people would want to play it. I know it might sound stupid to people who know a lot about bootleggies, but I don't get it.

(Sorry if my post is kinda mangled, but some idiot started mowing the grass next to my flats at like 7 AM, so my brain feels like a block of concrete and I wanna sleep and I can't sleep after I wake up to the sunshine)

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Get to the ending and say that again.

That said, I disagree, the controls are shit. Actually it suffers from the same issue most unlicensed fighting games do: you can't attack while moving for some reason. I swear that no matter what I try, I'm completely unable to attack while jumping. It gets even more annoying because the AI can actually do it. Any ideas what's the logic behind this?

To avoid other Chinese pirates from pirating the unlicensed games. Sega wasn't smart enough to notice and counter this, but the Chinese themselves definitely were.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    it is the greatest story ever told.

But yes, always a good thing to see dumps.

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    First time I saw it I immediately thought North Korea :v:

11. Flygon

Flygon

Excuse me, but that is the best damn analogy I have ever seen for the past month. You're responsible for me laughing a tad too loudly.

Either way, great to see more pirates dumped. :)

12. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    researching PC-98/X68000 sound drivers
    Try MESS vgm with this:
    [xml]<mamecheat version="1">

<cheat desc="-= Tiny Toon Adventures 3 (Unl) [f] {d65d83d4.xml} =-"/>

<cheat desc="Play Music">
    <parameter min="1" max="15" step="1"/>
    <script state="change">
    <action>genesis_snd_z80.pb@1FFC=param</action>
    </script>
    </cheat>

<cheat desc="Stop Music">
    <script state="on">
    <action>genesis_snd_z80.pb@1FFC=FD</action>
    </script>
    </cheat>

</mamecheat>[/xml]Just save it as cheats\d65d83d4.xml and enable cheats (Properties -> Miscellaneous).

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Hey, would you also mind posting pics/scans of the game media? And I know you don't have it, but do you know if this is the proper box for TTA3?

Actually, what is with all these Taiwanese game boxes having kana? Do Taiwanese people know that writing system too?

@ICEKnight: Thanks :) Eke also sent me some other stuff, so I'll be looking into everything sometime tonight or tomorrow... though I do know something else that needs to be done on top of just plain dumping games now :/

14. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Edit: Got it working now. It isn't exactly what I had in mind since this just records everything that's happening as you play, including sound effects. I was more thinking there's a way people hack into games like they apparently do at Project2612 and they sometimes find unused tracks. That's what I'm curious about :)

For cartridge and box art look here:
    http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Tiny_Toon_Adventures_3

I don't have a scan of the cover, don't even own it but know a guy who does who was going to scan it for me, but he's been too busy to get to it. Maybe someday.

I'm not sure what you mean by these boxes having Kana, can you give an example? Unless you mean the Japanese that's on the back of the boxes sometimes, that's usually just ripped off from somewhere else in order to make the game look like it's somehow official. they obviously don't put much thought into it since the Tiny Toon 3 box uses text stolen from a Mickey Mouse game :x

15. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    researching PC-98/X68000 sound drivers
    Actually this the the way I rip vgms. I search for a memory trigger and make a cheat xml file (if possible - alternatively I use the debugger with breakpoints to play the songs). Then I search for a place in the game where nothing interrupts the music (like SFX and timers, e.g. in TT3 start the first level and don't move). Now I can play the music with the Cheat Menu (or the debugger).

And say, how can you like this music? It sounds like a direct port from an NES game (3x Tone + 1x Noise Channel) and sometimes it seems horribly out of sync.
    The Power Rangers game has nice music IMO, but the ending isn't even a joke. (Interestingly most pirates that use the High Seas Havoc sound driver sound quite good.)

16. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    Playing it again it really feels stiff and horrible, so there :v: .

Also is there any official Sega Genesis game with copy protection?

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    NBA Jam 96 refuses to work if its EEPROM isn't present. Also Puggsy refuses to work if SRAM is present (which is why Fusion has a "disable SRAM" option).

18. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I don't like most of the music, it's mainly level four that's the best. If you want horrible the last level is the worst with that Three Blind Mice thing going on at the beginning. Total nightmare! I'm mostly just curious if there's any unused music in the game, that's all. Stuff like that is interesting.

Power Rangers game has generic music I've heard before. Tiny Toon's may not be the best, but it's got more originality to it I think. Besides the first and last levels, those ones are definitely the blandest.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  20. I'm still waiting for the dreaded "Super Mario World 64".

All the things in between tend to be (terribly) interesting regardless, though.