don't click here

New officially licensed SEGA art prints

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 14, 2015.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, pre Sonic 4 their general stance was that Sonic is Sonic regardless of design. This was also somewhat noticeable with the original iOS versions of Sonic 1 and 2 (and the older iPod Classic Sonic 1) and Sonic Classic's Collection where they used modern artwork to advertise older games. After Generations Classic Sonic became a Toon Link esq creature who exists in his own little bubble, almost as a separate character.

And yet they haven't taken advantage of that yet at all lately, for shame. But I think they are starting to realize the benefit of keeping both Sonics separate, they just haven't capitalized on the idea yet in any significant way other than merchandising. I can see one day Classic Sonic being along the lines of Sonic Boom Sonic though, where it's almost like a subfranchise.

2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I apologize. I didn't mean it in the sense you're throwing a tantrum or anything, just that that the eye colours being notable at all, something we here in Retro have a history with and that I felt you were slightly exemplifying, shows SEGA's choice of having THAT be the determiner of what's the brand being used is not a bad choice at all.

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

You can see the full Sonic print in this work in progress instagram photo.
    https://instagram.com/p/7r8miXBl0S/
    Features Bean, Bark, Ray, Mighty, Fang, Tikal, and even Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Hot damn

I expected characters, but I didn't expect those characters.

5. I'll take 5 :specialed:

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Paul knows his shit

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm surprised that many of those characters were even allowed. Not because SEGA doesn't own them (that silly myth needs to be put to sleep), but because they are so incredibly tight about their useage. It's fantastic to see them all.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ohhhhh myy I'll buy 17 thanks.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That'll be $1955.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's up: https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/1596/sonic-the-hedgehog-sega.html

Virtua Fighter as well: https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/1604/virtua-fighter-blue-variant-sega.html

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm not happy about the Sonic one. In making the image poster-sized, they've taken something done in pixel art (good), and scaled it using nearest neighbour (good) at a non-integer multiple (bad). When you look closely you can see some of the "pixels" are bigger than others as a result.

Also no Mecha Sonic, Omochao, Biolizard, Iblis, Mephiles, Chip, Wisps, Zazz, etc. Poster sucks.

(This post contains partial jest.)

12. Felik

Felik

Really love this print. I'm a bit surprised there's no Chip, Omochao and Sticks though.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So I decided to give one pass of fixing the dodgy pixel problem just because. I took the full scan from that page (unfortunately with JPEG artifacts), wrote some code to parse it, and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

Now pixel perfect! :v: (Not really, but I tried.)

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The artist's Tumblr post about it, with a PNG version of the artwork: http://superpietepiet.tumblr.com/post/129285972798/I've-been-working-on-this-one-for-a-long-time-and

Also a timelapse video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hC6CE1juU4

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'd love to get that 160x100cm version that's printed on metal and limited to just 3 prints.
    > £1650

I'd love to get that regular version printed on a higher quality canvas and comes framed.
    > £425

I'd love to get the regular version, and pick out a a number of my choosing.
    > £150

... I'd love to get the "cheapest version available
    > £75

I am actually going to buy the £75 edition. It's a lovely, lovely print. And seeing all of those characters on official merchandise in 2015? That's really special to me. It seems a little odd that Chip, Wisps and the small animals/Flickies are absent now that it's been mentioned, but that really doesn't matter. I love this.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Unfortunately resized and has blending. :(

Ah well.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Are you sure you maximised it and got it full size? It should be 1170x1809, and is clean as a whistle.

18. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    [​IMG]

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Almost but nope. Look at the pointy yellow thing on the top right.

20. This was resized wrong. The original picture from the artist's tumblr is 1170x1809, without any kind of pixel blending, and each "pixel" is exactly 3x3 pixels, which means the image scales perfectly to 390x603.

Here. Click the image, save the full version, open it in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever and scale to 390x603, nearest neighbor. There's your pixel-perfect version.