don't click here

Sonic Dream Team (New 3D Game from Hardlight, coming to Apple Arcade December 5)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Jul 28, 2022.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    A job listing has confirmed Hardlight is working on a new Sonic mobile game. The listing states:
    All I really can say is that it's 100% a Dash-style Frontiers tie-in game. They did Dash-style tie-ins for Boom and Forces, given how successful the Dash games have been they're 100% doing the same thing for Frontiers. Who knows what the unique gimmick here will be though!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I would hope it's not a Dash esq title, because they have 2 that are still supported and successful (and 1 that wasn't so much, looking at you Boom) and Frontiers is an open world game (sorry, "Open Zone" cant forget the cutsey branding), it'd be kinda dumb for it's tie in to be extremely linear.

3. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    cool another temple run reskin. moving on...

4. It’s a minor, subtle difference, but honestly temple run’s/earlier versions of Astro boy dash style of left and right movement is much preferable to me than the lane switching of the subway surfer’s clones of stuff like Sonic Dash.

In the end however, neither of them are particularly deep and it is honestly really funny to me they made a competitive PvP game using such mechanics.

The only time I particularly have cared for these types of games was Wheel rush. I don’t even know if I’d play that today…

…but alright. It said it is a platform game. Might be pure cope but maybe that means things will be different this time?

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    the world's first open world endless runner

6. VelvetBlueDreams

VelvetBlueDreams

Maybe I'm naive, but this might not be another Dash maybe? Ambitious and narrative driven hardly describe auto-runners, and I'm pretty sure these listings are supposed to be accurate.

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Cool, I wonder what they can nickle and dime us for this time.

8. But fans keep buying this stuff!!

I didn't get Monkey Ball re-release or Sonic Origins for that reason.

I'll pick up origins when it's like on a £2.99 sale or something, I'm in no rush to pay 40 quid for 20+ year old games I've already paid full price for a ton already.

This mobile game will probably be a frontiers tie in. You earned 5 gems!! You only need 2000 more to unlock Tails!!

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's not another Sonic Dash.
    According to the listing:
    - narrative driven
    - Platformer
    - Aiming for "console quality" 3d assets while staying within the limits for mobile.
    - still in unity, which is Hardlight's engine of choice.

Personally I think it's gonna be something cross platform, and has a 50/50 shot at being live service, unless it's another Apple Arcade exclusive. (please don't let it be another Apple Arcade exclusive)

10. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Say, didn't the very original leak regarding Sonic Frontiers also contained info on a separate, multiplayer focused game?

If it's gonna be cross-platform + live service like shilz said, maybe this could actually be that concept finally realized?

11. soulsera

soulsera

2D Sonic Enjoyer Member
    Honestly, I'm hoping it explicitly isn't. I like what they did with the Forces racing and especially the fantastic cosmetics but at the end of the day, it's really dull and made even worse by the fact that the Whitehead ports of full classic Sonic games are completely free on the same app store these mobile games are for. There was a concept for a one button Sonic game that was pitched to Sega here (https://twitter.com/Nitrome/status/1473781829358473226?t=VHf9UmL-gjMhUEMvDEzN-w&s=19) and I hope this gets realized as opposed to yet another game in the Dash format, but that might be a tall order given the "narrative-driven" aspect, which I assume will only cut as deep as the Sonic Runners text scenes.

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    what if genshin impact but sonic

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ... if done right I don't necessarily hate it

14. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Might not be related but... Super Spline Studios have announced they're working with Hardlight.

https://twitter.com/SuperSpline/status/1552928188942123008

They do have Sega listed on their website, but it's specific to Two Point (Hospital/Campus) https://supersplinestudios.com/

Edit: OH! They seem to be responsible for the Sonic Costumes that appeared in Two Point Hospital, there's actually some footage on their site that appears to be early animation testing, it's under the 'Demo Reel' tab (TO THE WIKI!)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  15. MH MD

MH MD

It exists and it's called Frontiers :V

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I want Fortnite but Sonic.
    I will emphasize that live service is total speculation from my end.

But yes it was partially because of that.

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic Frontiers: Cyber Space Dash. Calling it right now.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I mean...it can't be any worse than Forces mobile, can it?

Anyway, the job listing in the initial post for this thread speaks of an "ambitious narrative driven platform game" - I wonder if that's still the case. Final Horizon kind of wrapped everything up, and I don't for a second expect Hardlight to do anything slightly brave such as having this game be about Tails, Knuckles and Amy traversing cyberspace with no Sonic to be found. Speaking of expectations, the best I've got for this game is Sonic Dash 3, because god forbid this developer do anything original.

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023