don't click here

New Genesis (Sega Genesis Classic Console)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by XCubed, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nope.

As other have said but I'll iron out for 100% confirmation - these are still emulators of the original system, from a single chip, the exact same one as the built-in systems. The sole difference is the location they're reading data from - instead of the flash chip that stores the in-built ROMs, it's the real cartridge via the datalines to the chip. In terms of what it's doing once the game starts running, it's exactly the same as if it was running on any other Atgame system. Shitty sound and everything.

2. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    That's what I meant to begin with. I played Mushroom Hill Zone and it everything sounded so off that I figured it was the alternate version of the song.

Gosh I feel stupid.

3. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim

Picked up one of these last week, it's not really worth the $40. I found it at my local Dollar General for the same price (but with a coffee stain all over it). The sound is sufficiently awful. The wireless controllers both have menu buttons above the start that restart it, and also thankfully have a player 1 and 2 switch. Although the box-art was little different.
    [​IMG]
    oh

4. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Yeah, that's been known for a little while and is on several box variants of AtGame systems. Still funny, mind. =P

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Funny or not, they should be paying royalties to Blaze.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Or Blaze should be paying them! ;)

7. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Are there any recordings of the games running on the AtGames console? I want to hear the differences

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    No Sonic specifically, but here's a video with other games to show how bad the sound is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Ey5zKKldY

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

There you go, sports fan :v: (27 seconds in).

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Holy shit, that sounds horrifying. Like, literally horrifying.

11. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Also, enjoy the fact that the Atgames hardware always has the YM2612 chip missing. Atgames is notorious for that. Hope you like your Genesis/Mega Drive music sounding like shit.

Edit: hmmm Interesting that it's able to play international games. If only the sound was better. I might actually buy one if not for the sound. But fuck that, if I really wanted to, I could region mod my Genesis.

12. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I wish there were high quality hardware clones, made out of very good materials, even better than the MD1. It would be for enthusiasts, obviously, the average consumer wouldn't care. Still, some gold-plated MD with the 32x and CD built in with great sound and even digital video output, all using the real components and not knockoffs or emulation would be fucking amazing.

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I looked more into this thing on YouTube... even the games and graphics on some cartridge games is shit... not just sound...
    Waste of $40 bucks, or however much they charge for this shit... amazing that they can legally charge money for this trash...

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Cinossu & myself did some experimenting with a copy of Sonic 1 and this soundchip - you wouldn't believe just how far out the instrumentation is.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

So what is this soundchip? Is it a different one from the Mega Drive? From what I can gather it's just a substitute which sounds crap.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Oh, yes, sorry - the onboard console-on-a-chip these things use emulates the YM2612, and it does it rather well - unfortunately the values it is using for notes are completely wrong, and as such it sounds atrocious. If you change some values around in a Mega Drive ROM to counteract them, the sound is all-but spot on. It's rather sad, really.

17. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So how expensive would it be to build a console that can actually accurately play Genesis games, be it either a hardware clone or emulation.

18. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Sounds like it gets everything right but just at an octave lower or so. Someone record the intro of Spiderman Animated Series on it, see if it can handle the detune bug.

As much as the cheapest hardware (PC or Android) that has enough horsepower to run an emulator.

edit: actually, if you can get a stock of sega 315-6123s from somewhere (China, etc), it would cost as much as that + ram + video encoder + some discrete components and a PCB design, to build a full Megadrive.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Emulation is easier, because it's lazy, but to have all the actual components!? Do they even still create some components the Mega Drive uses? Y'know, it's more or less 24 years old now. It would have to be mass produced too, so that would cost a lot. If you're going to all that effort to build a one-off console that plays those games, then you should just buy a Mega Drive/Genesis.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Food for thought - a brand new Raspberry Pi costs less than a lot of those second-hand Mega Drive bundles. You could shove an emulator on that and plug in a cheapo keyboard and you'd be good to go (provided you had the necessary leads... can't even remember if the Pi comes with a power supply). I'm not sure why you'd do this but it's an option!

As for the quality of emulation here? Well... it does date back quite a number of years now (I get the feeling the technology is rooted in 2007/2008?). It wasn't too long ago when bog-standard Gens was often the emulator of choice, and that doesn't handle the 32X's audio that well. Taken on the idea that "official" vendors are always a few years behind, the sound emulation in this wouldn't have been outstandingly awful for its day. Can't remember if this is a step up (or a step to the side) from those plug-in-and-play things by Radica.

Sound quality has improved a bit since then in these sorts of clones. IIRC the RetroN 3 is more accurate - we're expecting the RetroN 5 to be better, and I have a feeling AtGames has moved aware from the Firecore OS/emualtor/whatever it is