Need help ripping sound effects from the DC version of SA2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by IndyTheGreat, Nov 1, 2014.

1. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    All I want to do is get a sound effect from the DC version of SA2. I am working on a mod for the PC version to replace some sound effects with their Dreamcast counterparts. I already got the sound effect from when the level is loading by recording with stereo mix into Audacity. Now I just need to get the sound effect from when you enter or exit a chao garden. In the PC version, this is faster. Normally, I'd slow it down but you can't slow it down without it sounding choppy and bad.

I tried making a muted ADX to mute the chao lobby music so I could record the sound effect with stereo mix, but I can't seem to create a working Dreamcast .cdi file. I also can't seem to extract any sound effects from the MLT files on the disk.

Does anyone here have ANY idea how to mute the music or extract the sound effects from SA2 on the Dreamcast? Alternatively, could someone do that for me (either mute the chao lobby music and record the sound effect when you're entering a garden or extract the MLT that contains that sound effect)? I'll seriously owe my life to you if you can help me with this, it's been driving me nuts!

2. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Utah
    SA1/2 hax
    Good luck with that. Sonic Adventure 2 isn't easy to make bootable again after you've extracted the disc content, and I've never been able to get it working either. Also, that level load sound honestly sounds lower quality on the Dreamcast to me, although I just checked in an emulator (nullDC), so it might have screwed it up. I also checked that Chao Garden sound, and you're right about that, although I wonder if they're doing that with DSP... I honestly can't help with sound ripping though; I've never successfully ripped anything from SA1/2's MLTs.

3. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    Thanks for the quick response! I ended up using "Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch" to slow the sound down without making it sound choppy.

EDIT: And the sound cuts off before it can finish. I guess they sped up the sound in the Gamecube version because it loaded faster (or perhaps slowed it down in the DC version cause it loaded slower).

4. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Speaking of the SFX from SA2 is there an actual full rip of all SFX and Voices from the game? I've been looking for awhile.

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I just converted the files from the pc version for the voices. maybe go that route?