don't click here

Need help fixing a Sega CD (model 2)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MK, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Alright, so I bought this Sega CD for Tweaker, but it's broken. I do not know what's wrong with it, so I was hoping y'all could help me.

Below are some images.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm on the IRC channel for anyone who wants to help me fix this thing. I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get.

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

You aren't really giving much info at all.. Does it even get power? Does the disc spin? Does anything at all come up on the screen? Have you tried different power and/or a/v cables? Answering simple stuff like this would probably help you get an answer.

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Sorry, I had posted all that info in the chat room and forgot to put it in here.

The system doesn't seem to get any power. I slide my Genesis 2 into it, and use my Genesis 1's power cable. The cable works fine with the Gen1, so I don't think that's the issue. No lights turn on, no noise from the machine, nothing.

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Looks like It's either rusting or leaking some kind of shit. Check for leaky capacitors and get some new ones from Radio Shack. They'll check 'em out for you but it'll cost an arm and a leg.

5. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    I don't see any leaks, but I have no idea what that stain is. It doesn't trail back to any components.

I know the case has been opened before; when I got it it was missing some screws on the bottom.

6. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Sounds obvious, but check the power connector. I've seen quite a few systems where the solder joint has failed on one leg.

7. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    That rust LOOKS like a spill mark, It might have fried the innards, hope you didn't pay too much for it.

If I were you I'd try & get a refund.

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    It could be a blown fuse, it's the most common problem with Sega CD's, just google it and give it a try

9. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    I'll try all this stuff. I got it cheap, $30 for the Sega CD, and a working Genesis and 32x

I'll keep you posted if anything fixes it

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I'm agreeing with the people who said something spilled on it. I see some suspicious stain-like stuff near and quite possibly on the board.

Though I've seen computers survive being soaked in inches of water before. It's really a matter of if it's corrosion or not. Or fried... or... etc. etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.