don't click here

Need Help Cracking a DOA4 specific file format

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by grap3fruitman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Okay, so in Dead or Alive 4 there's a file called anm.afs, which is a container that has move properties for every single character (not animations, those are elsewhere). Inside, the files are just given .bin extensions. These are the files I'm trying to modify.

The guy I was working with started noticing patterns and got a lot of the format cracked considered he's never done any cracking/coding before but I'd like to get the rest so I can completely modify how the game plays.

Things we figured out were-
    damages for moves, the amount of frames it takes for a move to 'execute, hit, recovery' but only for the first few moves the rest I have to manually edit via hex, man I don't even know haha

The app looks like this atm

[​IMG]

So basically we need help finding out how to enable/disable moves;

in the updated patch of the game two characters had moves added. The above conversation points out that yeah the animations are all in the game it's just a matter of how to get them to execute. More supporting evidence is when we had to figure out which moves were which, we changed the damage of each move to whatever number that move was. I.E. move #1 in the file did 1 point of damage, move 2 did 2 points, etc. There were several spots jumped over. There are moves and properties here but the moves aren't actually activated in the game. More supporting evidence is in one of our test videos we glitched something up and activated an animation that was not seen before in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL1FWCcBWcI 28 seconds into you can see the opponent doing an animation for a throw from a previous game that was left out of this one in the final but may have been considered during development which would explain why the animation is in the game.

a pattern for the frame data in the file, and button presses to execute moves

So can anyone help me out?

Files I can provide:
    the vb 08 project - everything the other guy wrote
    Ayane.bin from 4.0
    Ayane.bin from 4.1 (patch)
    Kasumi.bin from 4.0
    Kasumi.bin from 4.1 (patch)
    Ryu.bin from 4.0
    Ryu.bin from 4.1 (patch)

The two characters with added moves are Ryu and Kasumi and are supplied.

Any advice, tips, or halps??

2. bamp DDD:

3. I can manipulate frame data, -/+ on block/hit, damage, stun/launch/relaunch properties, counter/throw damage, whether something hits on the wall/ground, etc...

4. Yuzu

Yuzu

Does this require access to a modded 360? :P

5. What do you mean? To modify the files? No, you do that on the pc... To play? Yes and no. On the 19th when the new dashboard launches you can use a modded console to install the modded game to the hard drive of an unmodded system and then play it off that unmodded system with a retail DOA4 disc.

6. Yuzu

Yuzu

Sorry, but I'm sure there will be at least a checksum check in the slightest, well at least for new games. If anything gets far I'll borrow my friend's copy of DOA4 and test it out.

7. It checks the security sector which is unmodified. Do you actually think it would do a byte for byte checksum check every time it loaded? hahahahaha

I've already tested the boot method with the leaked dashboard so I can confirm it works. But what makes you think I'm going to give you a copy of it to "test?"

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Mind if I bump this and ask how your modding is going grape? Big fan of the DoA series so it's great to see you digging up these unused stuns, animations and costumes.

I never did much in terms of hacking but use to have a lot of DoA ultimate editing tools, oh those were fun.

9. No progress with cracking the format. I don't actually know shit about cracking formats and hacking. I was more or less testing stuff with this guy and figuring out what certain triggers and other things do. Though I'm putting together a remixed version of the game but it's coming along slowly. In fact, I've been working on it for about a year now. I'm out of blank discs to burn my latest build too. I blew through my last five trying to get a working burn. Ugh. =(

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    What have you remixed exactly? Just move damage and a few other small tweaks, texture changes?

11. Like here are some of the changes for Bass, which haven't been changed since late March:
    Leon:
    Spartan:
    Lisa:
    There's more for the other characters but I'm too lazy to post them all.