don't click here

My Sonic 06 Review

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Wing, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wing

Wing

Hm. It looks like I've reached my post limit. :(
    If you'd like to leave a comment, please do so on Youtube or the SEGA Forums thread. :v:
    Obviously, you can comment here, but I won't be able to reply. :argh:

For anyone curious, here's what it looked like when I finally finished. :specialed:
    [​IMG]

2. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    Good review. I also hated this game much like everyone else. I have to say though I do like the level design, but the engine just sucks so bad you cant enjoy it at all. I would rather play these freestyle Sonic games though moreso than the on-rails Sonic Unleashed crap. Hope to see more.

3. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I avoided this game after playing the demo some few years ago, its nice to see a review on this game because recently I contemplated buying it. After seeing that I now know to just forget about it.

4. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I honestly, bought a used copy of the game months ago not too long after getting Sonic Unleashed. I WAS going to rent it, but the rental stores took them down (and I can see why). To me really, it's not the worst Sonic game ever in my opinion (Sonic Genesis and Labyrinth take that spot), but not exactly good either. It had its moments of wishing it was fixed up. I'm surprised you didn't show the battle with Silver. INCREDIBLY CHEAP. But hey, I still like Silver. He reminds me of Trunks a bit...just a bit. Plus his design is more unique out of all the hedgehogs I've seen. The characters being taller and what-not never bothered me for some reason. I just never cared.

There's one thing I gotta say I'm getting a little tired of hearing, and that's the whole Bestiality junk. Really, does anyone know what the term actually means? So she kissed Sonic, big whoop. On the lips, still don't care. It makes me wonder what if Madonna (Sonic's prototype girlfriend) was still around and she kissed Sonic. Probably same reaction...

But overall, I do agree the game is broken.

5. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    Chalk me up for another disagreement on the level design dissing; it would've surpassed Sonic Adventure 1 in this regard if the physics and controls had any amount of refinement.

On the point of music, we've come to expect any of the franchise's lyrically-focused songs as chesse-fests which rarely appeal to people outside the fanbase. But '06 manages to narrow the appeal even further, as if it was trying to emulate Marvel vs. Capcom 2, with none of the associated success. Even the instrumental stuff, usually the one greatest things about every modern Sonic game, is somehow diluted beyond reasonable likeability.

Your review may not have touched upon all the points people would've liked to hear criticism for (and did touch upon certain points we're sick of hearing about), but the key thing is that the seven minutes it took to view it only felt like two minutes. There's no logical conclusion to draw from that other than that the review was highly enjoyable. In my opinion, you deserve a full account approval, even if only to continue posting these reviews.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I've enjoyed watching your reviews man, good luck on becoming a full member here.

On the subject of Sonic 06 - I bought and beat the game twice - once on the 360 and once on the PS3. To say it was the ultimate test of my Sonic fandom would be putting it mildly. But, at the same time, I can't help but feel like, with a few minor tweaks, the game could have been decent. Case in point - Sonic and the Secret Rings began as a Sonic 06 port (and it shows, it's gameplay is basically nothing but the high-speed levels) but they made a few smart decisions and it wound up being massively improved over 06 (in my opinion, at least).

Well said, I actually didn't realize the thing was 7 minutes long until I read this.

7. Provisional

Provisional

I haven't even finished watching your vid yet but

"...and all you'll be doing is saving the princess, losing the princess, saving--" etc.

Is that a reference to G4's review??

Scroll down and go 2:20 into the video.

You seriously déjà vu'ed myself.

8. Nova

Nova

I'm not even going to bother wishing you good luck on getting approved - you're pretty much a dead cert anyway, I'd say. =P

From one review enthusiast to another, I love your videos. They're pretty damned awesome and I'd like to convert my writing to something similar myself someday.
    Also, seeing as the level design seems to be the main point of debate where Sonic 06 is concerned, #retro regulars will not be surprised to hear that I completely disagree with Mainman on this one. The levels were goddamn awful. Dull, tired, overly long and just plain not-fun.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I still think it just depends on the level. The first part of KV was great (as were the Sonic versions of DD and TJ if you traverse the bottomless pits correctly), and the other segments were just dire. WO was mediocre and CC and WA were plain awful. Something that so few reviews seem to pick up on those is some fundamental flaws that aren't the result of bad design but are just bad no matter what way you look at it. When you fall off something, you briefly float in mid and end up about 5" in front of what you walked off. And the loops? Yeah, walk around them, stop and have a cup of tea while you're upside down. No rush. Ugh. I've found a fair amount of enjoyment in 06, but I'll be dammed if it isn't awfully made.

Wing, your reviews are very entertaining for what they are. I can't wait to see more. What do you plan on looking at in the future?

10. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Amazing review is amazing.

What's even more amazing is that there are plenty of people that will literally disagree with the facts that you brought up here (Sonic is slow, Shadow is slower, etc.).

And I can't believe that there are people that think Sonic Labyrinth is worse than Sonic 0Shit. That has got to be the most underrated game, ever.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Oh, hey, turns out I'm one of those people. Probably because I actually had some fun playing through '06.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Shadow had the best story though!

13. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    I've seen both your reviews now. Very professional and hits quite a lot of good points. And I'd probably have to agree with 95% of this review - the only thing I didn't agree with is spending my money on this piece of crap. >_>

14. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Nice review and all, but no mention of how Knuckles is suddenly Spider-Man in this game? :v:

15. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Very good review, however I couldn't disagree more on some parts. Very good though.

16. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    While I can't say that I agreed with everything you said in your reviews of SA and SA2, in this case, I agree pretty much 100% with you. Also, I do think that your reviewing... hmm... "style", I guess, has got better.

17. Flare

Flare

I do like these reviews, they have a quick pace to them however the screen telling us that it is "Gameplay" or "Music" breaks it up. Even a "yeah smash them up" clip would have made it keep its pace. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.